Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Using trickle charge in storage

We just bought a 2017 Bay Star 3113 from a private owner. We did not get the most detailed orientation. It took 4 days to drive it home- so now we are at least minimally oriented. However, we took it to our a storage facility that has 15 amp service for trickle charge. Unfortunately, even after hitting the inverter button to off, the fridge and microwave clock were still working. Any tips to shutting everything off so that the trickle is just to keep the batteries up? I will go in the morning to address this challenge. Thanks!
RoamerDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your using 110 outlet why not let your B.I.M. charging system charge all your batteries with shore line plugged in. No need for trickle charger.
You can still pull plug for Micro or the inverter can be shut off but the batteries will be charged by charging system and leave the BCO switch on.
Its explained in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You don't say, but you must have a residential refer.

To start, your inverter converts battery power to A/C voltage (110 volt power). It's purpose is to provide 110 volt power to your residential refer and other 110 volt appliances and outlets, when NOT connected to shore power. When connected to shore power, the inverter stays active (unless you turn it off) and allows the shore power to "pass thru" the inverter. It's always good to just leave the inverter on. This way, if there is a power outage, it seamlessly takes over powering your coach. It also helps to keep you from forgetting to turn it on when driving.

With all that said, why not just leave the refer running while in storage. My all electric coach(es) have been parked at my house on 15 amps for 15 years with everything running. I just don't turn on the A/C.

Now if you're putting up the coach for the season (winterizing), than it may be better to turn the refer off. The way to do it, would be to unplug or easier, find the circuit breaker and flip it off.

Lastly, leaving the refer running and the inverter on, is fine, unless there is a prolonged power outage at your storage facility. If that were to happen, the inverter would run down your batteries after a few days.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #4

I trickle/maintain my coach battery bank while stored in the barn (using 5a Battery Tender). I use a 3a Battery Tender on the single chassis battery also. IMO this provides better maintenance on the batteries and less wear and tear on the rig electrical over the long winter period (less chance for battery boiling also). While this may seem like over-kill to some, its what I prefer.
  • On our 3113 I turn the Refer breaker off in the panel in the bathroom cupboard (in our case, 2nd breaker from the bottom on the right bank (it is marked)).
  • While you want to turn off the Inverter Switches in the control cupboard above the door (ours has 2 inverter option with residential fridge and therefore 2 switches) as you already mentioned.
  • You also should turn the power cut-off switch off in the control cupboard above the door (as indicated in Pic).
  • Additionally there is a thermal breaker in the battery compartment (we have the 4 battery option) on the main feed cable (top left side of compartment) that has a pop/trip capability, which I trip (just to make sure the batteries are isolated.

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Depending on the exact model of the fridge, it may have a 12 volt powered control panel, even though it COOLS using 120 volt. If it does, that panel probably also have an 'off' button that will totally shut off the fridge.
If it's a residential style fridge, that's totally 120 volt, and the easiest way is like to simply turn off the breaker it's connected to.
The same with the microwave, just turn off the breaker.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #6

We have a whirlpool residential. To turn off the unit, press the outer two buttons together for about 10 seconds, this turns the unit off, if you leave the doors open the lights will stay on for about 20 minutes then power down also. Same procedure to power up. We leave our motorhome plugged in to a 50amp service while in storage, it keeps everything charged and ready to go.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #7

Not sure of your exact setup, but I will at times unplug the main converter and plug it directly into the extension cord. The only power to the coach is then maintaining the batteries and none of the 110v service is powered.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedaliaterry View Post
I trickle/maintain my coach battery bank while stored in the barn (using 5a Battery Tender). I use a 3a Battery Tender on the single chassis battery also. IMO this provides better maintenance on the batteries and less wear and tear on the rig electrical over the long winter period (less chance for battery boiling also). While this may seem like over-kill to some, its what I prefer.
  • On our 3113 I turn the Refer breaker off in the panel in the bathroom cupboard (in our case, 2nd breaker from the bottom on the right bank (it is marked)).
  • While you want to turn off the Inverter Switches in the control cupboard above the door (ours has 2 inverter option with residential fridge and therefore 2 switches) as you already mentioned.
  • You also should turn the power cut-off switch off in the control cupboard above the door (as indicated in Pic).
  • Additionally there is a thermal breaker in the battery compartment (we have the 4 battery option) on the main feed cable (top left side of compartment) that has a pop/trip capability, which I trip (just to make sure the batteries are isolated.

Hope this helps
I agree - I also use and prefer maintainers to on-board chargers... especially if the inverter / charger is not fairly new and a 3-4 stage unit.
I have permanently mounted & wired 2 units as above - I plug in one extension cord - done
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Smile

Thank you, everyone.
RoamerDFW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage