Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Had an interesting thing happen to me yesterday as I called the parts manager at Howard RV in Wilmington, I've thought about it and wanted to run this by you folks...

When I called Howard RV to arrange for repairs to my headlight bezel and the squirrel cage fan on the Powertech genset,I was transferred to the parts manager after scheduling the service appointment in order to procure the parts.
The parts manager had no problem with ordering the headlight bezel as it was a Newmar part.
What he REFUSED to do is call Powertech directly and order the squirrel cage fan as, in his words, he had a parts rep named Anthony in Nappanee that made all the outside vendor calls for him...
I said no problem, called Jason and had Jason arrange to have Anthony send the part, thereby taking the parts manager from Howard out of the loop...
His refusal to help me has rubbed me in such a fashion that I wanted to hear what everyone else was used to.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Had an interesting thing happen to me yesterday as I called the parts manager at Howard RV in Wilmington, I've thought about it and wanted to run this by you folks...

When I called Howard RV to arrange for repairs to my headlight bezel and the squirrel cage fan on the Powertech genset,I was transferred to the parts manager after scheduling the service appointment in order to procure the parts.
The parts manager had no problem with ordering the headlight bezel as it was a Newmar part.
What he REFUSED to do is call Powertech directly and order the squirrel cage fan as, in his words, he had a parts rep named Anthony in Nappanee that made all the outside vendor calls for him...
I said no problem, called Jason and had Jason arrange to have Anthony send the part, thereby taking the parts manager from Howard out of the loop...
His refusal to help me has rubbed me in such a fashion that I wanted to hear what everyone else was used to.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I'm having the same problem with my local dealership with Hydro-Hot parts and service. I called Newmar last week for info on a local Hydro-Hot workplace and I'm still waiting for a call back.
My biggest complaint with the Newmar service centers is that they can never seem to get the correct part when ordered from Newmar. I don't know if that's a problem with the service people or a lack of clear definition, or the folks in Nappanee
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Ronnie, at first glance after having been to Nappanee and met the parts folks firsthand, I am leaning toward a problem at the DEALER level, at least in my instance and it sounds like yours as well...I can assure you my concerns with the parts manager will be addressed further with the owner of the dealership as this isn't the first go round for me with this guy...I'll let some others weigh in...
Old 03-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Bob is right on. Parts people at Newmar know what they are doing from my experience. The person I dealt with knew exactly what I needed once I told her the year and make.

I will say I had problems at the dealer level w/very simple parts.

I was told that Newmar will not ship parts direct as not to compete w/the dealers. However, I think you can call down there and get the part numbers you want. Have Newmar drop ship them and pay the dealer.

I know it's a game but, not uncommon in any manufacturer/dealer based distribution business.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think you can call down there and get the part numbers you want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the way I did it...I called Howard and gave the guy the part number after having called Newmar myself...
Old 03-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have been pretty satisfied with my dealer... Newmar on the other hand has tested my patience on occasion.

Examples...

1) I have been wait for at least 6 months for a shower drain cover.

2) It took over a month to get a kitchen faucet as they could never get parts for the original. I finally had to install a replaced that they sent.

3) Replaced the headlight... It's off a 98-02 Mercury Grand Marguis. Newmar wants $93 a pop and I can get them off the net for $45... go figure.

4) They sent a complete door latch assembly to replace $3 worth of dead bolt parts. I check with Trimark about parts, $3 for the parts and $12 S/H... again go figure.

And the list goes on....
Old 03-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #8

Bob

My feeling is that the generator is part of the house not part of the chassis. It should be treated by Newmar and the dealer the same as any other appliance in your rig. ie: tv, stove, refrig etc. My Newmar dealer has had to order parts for my Onan generator a couple times and there wasn't any discussion at all. He just did it. I believe he ordered them through Newmar though; which is what should have happened in your case. I believe the Newmar purchase agreement specifically excludes the chassis from dealer service. It doesn't specify the generator as the generator is not part of the chassis. It's installed by Newmar.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Jack, I agree....

I'll let you know what the fruits of my labor produce,but I've had about enough of this lasy parts manager...
Old 03-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see why any dealership should require you to go anywhere else to obtain parts for something they sell. My dealer will get things directly from Onan, HWH, or any other vendor if needed. They've also arranged things for me with the Freightliner service center on my last coach. A dealership should be a one-stop shopping center rather than make the customer do all the legwork.

When my HWH slideouts had issues on my Itasca Suncruiser, my Itasca dealer (who is also a Newmar dealer), just went direct to HWH to get the job done. It was beyond the Winnebago warranty but still covered by HWH so he just went direct to HWH. My Tiffin dealer is also a Flexsteel dealer, Norcold dealer, Dometic dealer, HWH dealer, as well as being set up (and factory trained) through Onan. Given the value of today's RVs all dealers should be providing the maximum service level possible to their customers. Besides, that's the best way to get repeat sales.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Mark, I sincerely appreciate your point of view and agree wholeheartedly...
You can bet I will have this discussion with John Howard next Wednesday.
I solicited the responses of my fellow forum members to make sure I wasn't going looney.

When the parts manager told me he didn't make any outside calls,I almost passed out...I then said "ya know what, I'll get your parts for you."

This is the same guy that wouldn't order a replacement key for me without seeing it first...Since I was in Virginia and he was in Wilmington, you can bet your dollar where I DIDN'T buy the key....LOL!!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:34 AM   #12

Bob,

Not to defend this parts person, because it does sound like he is being difficult to deal with, but it is very possible that the original manufacturer has a parts price deal with Newmar that only 1 group buys from them. This would hold down cost on all kinds of things like bad debt, shipping, make AR much easier, minimize return requests, they would not have to deal with idiots like this parts person, etc. I know this is done with some supply deals.

I am not saying this is fact in this situation, just a possibility.

Meanwhile, get his chain jerked. It sounds like he needs it. It does not sound like he is providing very good customer service.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:20 AM   #13

Adrian

Your example is very possibly the case, but even if it is, there are ways around it. When my backup system went down, my dealer consulted with Newmar and got their OK to deal directly with Voyageur to trouble shoot and fix the problem. My dealer ordered the necessary parts directly from Voyageur and fixed my problem. All the paperwork was processed through Newmar as if everything had been run through them. On paper, it appeared like my dealer never talked to Voyageur. My dealer took the bull by the horns in an effort to satisfy their customers' needs. It sounds to me like the parts manager Bob is dealer with is not very customer oriented at all. By the way, compliments are due to all the excellent service I've received from AOK RV in Menomonie, Wisconsin. I would highly recommend them.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Adrian, the points you make are indeed possible,had it not been that my contact at Newmar in Nappanee was the one that had given me the guidance to have the Howard parts manager simply call Powertech.

I've fired off an email to my contact at Newmar and copied John Howard on this latest dealing with the parts manager, so at least there's a record of my experience.

Having been in a customer oriented business for over twenty-five years, I'm not sure I'd own anything more than a pup tent if I treated folks the way this guy does....

He needs to understand something my Dad used to say.....Customers aren't an "interruption" of your daily job, they're the REASON for it...
Sort of puts things in perspective...eh?