Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #1

Ventana 2018 Option Help

We are going to order a 2018 Ventana 4002. But need some help on a couple of feature options.

1) Is the Winegard Rayzar Automatic TV Antenna worth it or does the standard antenna work great?

2) What does the Energy Management Option give you. And if you have it do you still need a surge protector, salesman comment?

3) On the 40 foot do I need to upgrade to the 15m heat pump/AC or is the standard 13.5M provide enough to cool the rig?

Thanks want to close on it after Thanksgiving so any support is greatly appreciated

Wayne

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only real advantage to the Razar is that it is digitally tuned...and requires no manipulation. The batwing works fine...but you have to crank it up, and manually rotate the antenna toward the station. There is also a chance of driving off with it extended...although Newmar does have a warning light on the Freightliner information panel that shows a red bat wing symbol if you try. I know there have been studies...and I think the batwing is just a little more sensitive.

The energy management system is phenomenal. It manages up to six high draw loads.
(5 in the 40' models because there is not a third a/c)..and automatically sheds them in priority if your demand should exceed the supply. It can automatically detect Generator power, Shore Power 50A...or Shore Power 30A. If you occaisionally use an adapter to connect to 20A or 15A, you can manually select that as well. Newmar networks this to your MS2812...so it adds other features such as generator soft start, INVERTER boost to cover transient surge loads, and charger cutback. If you Never go anywhere without 50A...then you may consider not getting it. But I recommend it 100%.

The surge protector is an add-on. Most people choose the Progressive Industries HW-50C. You can mount it in your cord bay behind the reel. I also recommend this protection.

If I am not mistaken...the choice is between an a/c or a heat pump. The advantage to the heat pump is that it can give you another source of heat, in addition to providing cooling...using Shore Power. So, if you are paying a fixed price for the site...you may as well conserve your propane(gas) or Diesel(Oasis). We like having the two 15,000btu heat pumps...

Old 11-19-2017, 06:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
The only real advantage to the Razar is that it is digitally tuned...and requires no manipulation. The batwing works fine...but you have to crank it up, and manually rotate the antenna toward the station. There is also a chance of driving off with it extended...although Newmar does have a warning light on the Freightliner information panel that shows a red bat wing symbol if you try. I know there have been studies...and I think the batwing is just a little more sensitive.

The energy management system is phenomenal. It manages up to six high draw loads.
(5 in the 40' models because there is not a third a/c)..and automatically sheds them in priority if your demand should exceed the supply. It can automatically detect Generator power, Shore Power 50A...or Shore Power 30A. If you occaisionally use an adapter to connect to 20A or 15A, you can manually select that as well. Newmar networks this to your MS2812...so it adds other features such as generator soft start, INVERTER boost to cover transient surge loads, and charger cutback. If you Never go anywhere without 50A...then you may consider not getting it. But I recommend it 100%.

The surge protector is an add-on. Most people choose the Progressive Industries HW-50C. You can mount it in your cord bay behind the reel. I also recommend this protection.

If I am not mistaken...the choice is between an a/c or a heat pump. The advantage to the heat pump is that it can give you another source of heat, in addition to providing cooling...using Shore Power. So, if you are paying a fixed price for the site...you may as well conserve your propane(gas) or Diesel(Oasis). We like having the two 15,000btu heat pumps...
+2, everything they said in spades. You will be happier if you go with the Razar, the 15K BTU heat pumps, and the EMS with additional surge protection.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I agree in general with all of Charlies comments.

I believe if you camp in out of the way places you may want to use the stock antenna, but if you like the convenience of not manually moving your antenna and don't want to worry whether you have the antenna up or down go with the Rayzar. We personally don't watch much TV so the batwing works fine for us. And, yes, our batwing has been ripped off the roof, but not by us, but when we first bought it by a repair tech who forgot to check it before driving it into the shop to repair punch list items!

We have the Energy Management System and we would highly recommend it. It keeps you from blowing breakers when you put too much load on the shore power or generator. We don't have one on the Roadtrek and sure enough, have blown a breaker while on generator by using the microwave and water heater at the same time.

Same with the surge protector, we'd get one that also interrupts line when it gets too high or low, like the one Charlie recommended. There are many horror stories on this forum of people losing their appliances because they plugged their coaches into campground connections that had intermittent neutral wire connections, among other things. Look for ones that protect against High Voltage and Low Voltage line conditions (or overvoltage and undervoltage).

Agree with the Progressive Industries HW50C recommendation. We have a Surge Guard and it works fine, but the Progressive Industries has a better warranty.

The front section of our Canyon Star is way smaller than the Ventana 4002 due to the full wall slide we don't have, and we need a 15K unit to cool it adequately in North Carolina in the summer. Newmar still makes you sign up for this model year brochures so I looked at the "Build Your Own" and found that the standard is 13.5K Heat Pumps and 15K are optional, so the choice is just between higher capacity and lower capacity. I'd highly recommend the 15K heat pumps for the 40' coach. There have been threads on the Newmar forum where people are worried about even two 15K heat pumps adequately cooling a 40' coach.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
Lab Master

I have the Rayzar and highly recommend it. It works great and I've done my share of forgetting things which I prefer not to outline here, not having to lower an antenna would be worth it, but I can tell you the Rayzar has been great in finding digital TV channels and I also use it for my FM antenna at times.

EMS is not an option - get it!

Surge protection is not an option - a lot of electronics on this rig and the cost of the surge protector is far cheaper then electronics frying. I've only had my 4037 since June and I've experienced surges (you can hear them) and brown outs. I also use a Hughes Autoformer.

Get the largest biggest bested heat/a/c you have an option for. My 4037 is 2 zone and really should be 3 zone so the front unit could be larger, if I had the option I would.

Don't get stupid options like univeral remote (not like I would do that) and when financed in how much does that remote cost over time??

Any other options you want opinions on? I was not aware of "specials" when I ordered as my purchase was a bit of an impulse buy with little RV knowledge. Had I known of all of Newmar's customization potential I would have taken advantage of it choosing different flooring (wood looking tiles vs. the ones I have), ethernet cable runs from the A/V box to the dinette/computer desk area and bedroom A/V box so my wally boxes can have an Internet connection off the WiFi system. Who knows what else if I had to do it over again but in the end I love love love my 4037. What a great coach.

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I think the others covered this well. I have the manual OTA antenna and it works well but I definitely would prefer the automatic one. I have read a decent amount of threads regarding early failures but hopefully Winegard improved the design and reliability.
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #7

C.Martin - well done! Very helpful information. Thanks.

And to the others, as well.

NealC - you mention vinyl flooring ILO ceramic... do you know if this is in fact an option? One salesman told me 'definitely no' to that, and another told me he could make it happen?

wavw54 - another possibility for surge protection... on the Dutch Star price sheets they offer an upgraded transfer switch that contains suitable surge protection -

option # 8L750 $637 (MSRP) Transfer Switch with Surge Protector ILO standard transfer switch

(I verified thru a 3rd party expert that this optional transfer switch does indeed provide adequate surge protection)

Newmar agreed to provide it as a special on my Ventana order.

The benefit is the space saved, and no external box to deal with. The downside is if the surge protection blows, then (I presume) you have no transfer switch?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
Lab Master

I didn't mention the flooring type, just the look. Some tiles "look like" wood.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #9

Oops, misread.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #10

THANKS

All

Thanks for all the input. Per the common recommendation going to go with the auto TV antenna, EMS and hard wired Progressive 50amp surge protector. Ordering it on Monday from North Trails in Ft Meyers, thanks again

Wayne
Old 11-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
Lab Master

Congrats.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavw54 View Post
All

Thanks for all the input. Per the common recommendation going to go with the auto TV antenna, EMS and hard wired Progressive 50amp surge protector. Ordering it on Monday from North Trails in Ft Meyers, thanks again

Wayne
Who's your salesmen at North Trail? I picked up my DS from them last week and couldn't be happier... I think everyone covered all of the above questions but since your ordering your new ride I would upgrade all the interior stuff leathers, flooring and backsplashes etc... We put a lot of stuff from the KA Essex and LA in ours and there not as expensive as you would think...
Sicduc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Do the ac heat pump upgrade. If not you will regret it.
millerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #14

Our salesman at North Trails is Jorge Martinez, highly recommend him. I have been very impressed with the interaction and the low pressure sales. We have been going back and forth on what to buy since we sold our previous RV in August and found a lot of the dealers in South Florida lacking basic knowledge of their product.

Tags
vent, ventana