RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ventana 3433 with motorcycle Hydralift

We are looking at a 2013 Newmar Ventana 3433 with a motorcycle Hydralift. I have seen this unit on a rig and they are welded to the frame of the motorhome. If we were to buy this unit we would be carrying our Harley motorcycle (800 lb) and towing my full size 6,500 lb pickup truck. My question is has anyone used this unit and what can we expect towing with this much weight on the back. Will the 360 hp have the power on the hills, and is the back axil rated for the load? The hyrdalift customer service says it is rated for 8000lbs towing with the motorcycle attached. I want to be certain that the Ventana is suited for the job. If you have any experience with this I would appreciate hearing from you.

Hydralift RV Motorcycle Lift Powerful - Dependable

jadtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You've got multiple issues you need to research:

1 - Does the Ventana have enough towing capacity for the truck?
2 - Does the rear axle have enough capacity for the weight of the cycle and the lift?
3 - Do you have enough GCWR for both of the above?

Assuming the 2013 is the same as the 2014 on the Newmar site, the 3433 has a GVWR of 35,000 and a GCWR of 45,000 for a towing capacity of as much as 10,000 (depending on hitch rating and actual load). That should be OK for #1. Might be sluggish on the hills, though.

The charts on the Newmar site are messed up, but it appears to have a 23,000 GAWR for the rear axle. What you can't tell is how much load is on the axle as built (and loaded for travel). With an 800lb bike and 200lb or so for that lift, you're going to be adding 1200-1400lb to the rear axle. You need the wheelbase and distance from the rear wheel to the lift to calculate it exactly. Do you have that much capacity left on that axle?

Is this an existing unit at a dealer you're looking at? Get the axle weights and start calculating. Four corner weights would be best, but axle alone will be sufficient for this. You need to figure in a full tank of fuel and whoever much water you plan to travel with. And now much payload you're going to have in the RV.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #3

We have a 2007 Ventana 3303 with a Cruiser Lift and carry an 800 lb Kawasaki. This is an electric lift that carries the bike high like the Hydralift. We have not flat towed too, but it is capable of doing so (and the previous owner did so extensively). Our tow capacity is 10,000. I've driven our mh close to 14,000 miles with the motorcycle. I do notice the weight on steep grades, and have to slow on hills to avoid exceeding the safe exhaust gas temp.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here is Blue Ox's weight calculator to determine the effect of the added weight. It would be applicable to any brand of lift.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the helpful information. I will check with the dealer and see what information he can give me, and will do some calculations myself. There is a lot more to consider than just the lift and the motorcycle. The fuel and the onboard water can add a lot of weight to the rear axil. How do I determine the weight of the truck o the axil? Thanks for your help. John
Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
You can pretty much ignore the weight of the truck on the back axle. It's towed 4-down, so it really doesn't have any tongue weight. Add the weight of the tow-bar itself to the weight of the lift and you'll have it covered.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
You can pretty much ignore the weight of the truck on the back axle. It's towed 4-down, so it really doesn't have any tongue weight. Add the weight of the tow-bar itself to the weight of the lift and you'll have it covered.
Thanks. I just need to figure the weight of the lift, motorcycle, fuel, and onboard water in the tanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #8

jadtif: CruiserLift has a good worksheet to figure out the weight on the rear axle, you could modify it with the Hydralift weights.
Literature

(correct to my earlier post, our Ventana is a 3330)

Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent