Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #1

Ventana 3434 Owners

I'm looking at a used 2013 Ventana 3434. Wondering how Ventana 3434 owners like their floorplan and what kind of fuel economy they get?

Does the stationary TV behind the dinette table prove to be a distraction? With the slides in, is the space between the reclining chair and kitchen countertop too narrow? Is the bathroom sink area roomy enough for a big guy to shave and not make a mess?

The unit I'm looking at is a Ventana 3434, not the Ventana LE 3434. It has the Cummins 360HP Freightliner chassis. Wondering what type of engine or compression brake that chassis has? Read the 2013 brochure and could not find any mention of an engine brake.

Any other comments about a 3434 would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chuck
chkwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Chuck, if you go for starters to QT's # 3 and read some of the threads posted at the top some of the people THE HOOT's that purchased the new DSDP's had owned the Ventana before.
Here is a Owners Guide for 2013 and dependent on what chassis it has you maybe could get some of your answers in the chassis forums.
Looking at the 3434 floorplan you should have able room in bathroom if you look at floor plan below it the 1/2 bath would have ample room for you also. That is something Newmar has tried to do is provide the space needed. Its a 34' coach they will be smaller.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck,

I'm running the Cummins ISB 340 in my coach and it is equipped with an exhaust brake. I am quite sure the 360 HP version is equipped the same. It does the job well for this size coach. Here's a slide from a Newmar/Freightliner presentation ... hope this helps.

Not sure if you've owned Newmar before but we love ours ... great product and customer service. Good luck. Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakes.png
Views:	86
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	64796  
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback! I have been reading different owner posts on IRV2. I'm also looking at a Winnebago Journey which is built on a Freightliner chassis with the 340HP, or 350HP Cummins engine on some older units. Read many claims that their Cummins engine were yielding fuel economy in the range of 10-12 mpg. Seems too good to be true.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Chuck
Old 06-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went out for the Memorial day weekend and averaged right at 10 mpg pulling our SUV. I'm reading that fuel economy from my VMSpc so it is an accurate number. This was on relatively flat terrain with little wind but my VMSpc is showing 9.0 mpg since inception on a total of 8,200 miles, about 80% of which is pulling the toad.

Scott
Old 06-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #6

Chuck, We've had our 3434 for about 1 1/2 years and for this size and price point, we would buy the exact same unit. The 360 HP with exhaust brake works fine for us and while towing a Honda CRV, we'll get any where from 9.5 to 10.4 MPG.

The space between the counter and recliner is not for everyone, so while traveling, I turn the chair side ways and that adds sufficient space for movement.

The one thing that you should be concerned with is the Fridgedaire microwave oven and as a minimum, check the stickies on the recall. Other than that, our major change was to replace the Norcold with the residential Samsung 197 and the addition of the GE Advantium oven.

Also, you should inspect ever cabinet door and insure that the joints are not separating. Mine were replaced with the standard Ventana doors the first time, and the Mountain Aire doors the second time.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Chuck, We've had our 3434 for about 1 1/2 years and for this size and price point, we would buy the exact same unit. The 360 HP with exhaust brake works fine for us and while towing a Honda CRV, we'll get any where from 9.5 to 10.4 MPG.

The space between the counter and recliner is not for everyone, so while traveling, I turn the chair side ways and that adds sufficient space for movement.

The one thing that you should be concerned with is the Fridgedaire microwave oven and as a minimum, check the stickies on the recall. Other than that, our major change was to replace the Norcold with the residential Samsung 197 and the addition of the GE Advantium oven.

Also, you should inspect ever cabinet door and insure that the joints are not separating. Mine were replaced with the standard Ventana doors the first time, and the Mountain Aire doors the second time.
Here's some information on that microwave recall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newmar Microwave Recall.png
Views:	81
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	64830  
Old 06-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #8

Chuck,
I just purchasd a 2008 Ventana 3330 about 6 months ago. Too early to tell how we will like it. Has a different floorplan, can probably google around and see it.
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #9

Thanks again for all the replies!

My brother is a happy Newmar owner. He has always picked on me for being an SOB (Safari)! Maybe I'll be joining him as a Newmar owner so I can be happy too.

Chuck
Old 06-09-2014, 04:23 AM   #10

Chuck,
Nothing wrong with Safari! My last coach was a 1995 Safari Serengetti 38' with a cummins 8.3 300 HP and magnum chassis/BF goodrich velvet ride. Loved it! Would have been interesting to see where Matt Perlot would have taken the company had he not sold to Monaco.
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent