RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #1

Ventana 34xx model comparison

I'm comparing the Ventana 3407, 3412, and 3426. I'm leaning toward the 3412 which has 4 slides instead of the full wall slide. It would seem like the lighter weight slides would decrease the chance of slide issues but on the other hand it might be just increasing the chance of slide problems by adding a slide. On the down side 4 slides seems to decrease the bedroom and pantry storage space.

I don't like the 3426 TV placement and instead like the booth with the TV elevator behind. We just don't need the King bed. It would seem like a Queen bed would leave space for other things but that doesn't appear to be the case.

They all seem so similar. I'd be interested in hearing someone with experience (I have none) compare models.

RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

I see there is already a "Ventana 34xx model feedback" thread that is helpful but maybe there is more to add especially in regard to the additional slide.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
You will not have that many problems with the four slides coach, all slides are of the original Newmar design.
This link can lead you into what many of the slide problems that are possibly with singles or FWS's.
If your looking for a new coach the slides and motors 12v do seem to require checking of motor mounting bolts and gear housings, it seems more than the older coach's I had without problems, as they are having these days.
QT's 1& 2 have the slide spec's of the Newmar design that have not changed that much from years ago because they simply worked without problems.
You need to consider people having problems will report it on forum, but people without problems would not and Newmar has sold many coach's over the years I have been here.
Good luck in your hunt for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't remember if this was mentioned on the other thread, but one thing to note about the 3412 is that the front slide on the driver's side (with the recliner) is quite deep. This can be good or bad depending on your needs. When the slides are in, it's very tight getting past the dinette to the back, but for a driver who needs extra leg room (like me) it's great because the slide comes in far enough that the slide's front fascia does not interfere with the driver's seat back. When the slides are open, the living room area just seems huge. Overall, we really like ours.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Back in 2017 when my wife and I were looking, I also liked the 3412 floor plan because it had four slides instead of the FWS. However, once we saw it in person, we immediately ruled out the 3412 because it was almost impossible to walk between the front slides when both were closed and it seemed like the bathroom was more cramped. The bathrooms should be the same between the 3412 and 3436 but the 3436 seemed to be easier to use. Maybe because both my wife and I are right handed. We eventually bought the 3436 and we love it. The coach is very useable with all the slides pulled in and after an initial adjustment after a couple of months the FWS has performed well.
It looks like Newmar has shrunk the living area on the curb side to make room for a king size bed in the 3426. We definitely prefer the larger living area and queen size bed in the 3436.
Good luck with your search. I think you will be pleased with whatever 34XX Ventana you choose.
——- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. It's getting very very close to order time. Here in Maryland it's hard to get a look at any 34xx coach let alone compare them side by side. Even at the Hershey show there was only one 34xx. I haven't even seen the 3412 with the slides in

On the floorplans it looks like the recliner sits a little further out than the sofa. Is that where most of the conflict is?, between the recliner and the booth? Would it possible to get a measurement? I think we can live with the smaller bathroom sink.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #7

My only advice is spend time in them ALL with slides both in and out before a decision.

Airplane tickets could be money well spent.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's not so much that the recliner itself is in the way. When the slides are closed for travel, we nudge the recliner tight to the back wall of the slide and it doesn't stick out any further than the couch, and that certainly helps with pass-through room. It's more about the depth of the deep slide box itself when it comes into proximity with the dinette. You can certainly get to the back of the coach no problem, it's just a little tight as you go past the dinette.

Ours is currently in storage, but I would be happy to get some measurements early this week. If you are in the north-eastern part of Maryland we are actually very close to you in Pennsylvania and would be happy to show you our coach. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We’ve had a VTLE 3412 for 18 mos now. We love, love love our RV. Agree with DG86 that the very deep sofa slide makes it tight when closed against the dinette on the curb side. Also makes the living area enormous when opened up, which is what made up our minds between the 3412 and the 3436.

The bathroom on the 3412 feels smaller and more awkward than the 3436 - I think the culprit is the vessel sink and smaller countertop vs. the undermount sink and larger counter in the 3436.

No issue w the four slides, but I would note that the bedroom is basically unusable until you fully extend both slides, which means difficult to access things in storage or when stopping on the road.

Good luck in your decision; welcome to the short DP family!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RVific - I see I didn't address your specific question on space with the slides in. You are correct, the tightest spot is from the recliner to the dinette. The front of the dinette seats is rounded, and that portion is a padded drawer. Like DG86 we also push the recliner back for travel as far as we can (it's pressing against the window at that point). With the recliner pushed back and both slides in, there's about 6-8 inches space. You also have the slide floor raised up under both sides, so you need to watch your steps for that small portion.

No problem at all once you're past the recliner. We optioned the full size sofa, ILO the L-sofa which probably give you a couple of inches. You're also correct that the TV placement in the 3412 is ideal; the televator puts it directly across form the person in the recliner, and with the full size sofa you can find the most comfortable spot. And we put the TV away during the day time to enjoy the large window over the dinette.

We didn't see one with the buffet but I assume that would avoid the issue and give you more room. I wanted the buffet but my better half wanted the dinette. And thus we have the dinette.

Also agree with DG86 that the very deep drivers side slide is helpful as it allows the drivers seat to lean back further than if the slide weren't so deep.

If it were me, and after having lived with it for a year and a half, the bathroom in the 3412 would be the bigger issue than the slides. If at all possible find one to test out - close the door in the bathroom, step in the shower and close the shower, try to dry off, try to wash your face and shave in the vessel sink. It's a very awkward space. We removed the glass shower doors to open it up a bit but still small.

Good luck in your decisions!
Old 01-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #11

So strange after all the options and compromises that it should come down to a few inches. At 8 inches it seems tolerable but at 6 I'm not so sure. I'd sure appreciate a more accurate measurement if someone has it or can get it.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVific View Post
So strange after all the options and compromises that it should come down to a few inches. At 8 inches it seems tolerable but at 6 I'm not so sure. I'd sure appreciate a more accurate measurement if someone has it or can get it.
Look at the VTDP comparison thread it was very detailed and complete comparison w pics and measurements closed.
We bought our 2013 VTDP 3433 used but like the 4 slide layout w separate shower across the hall from toilet... just a personal preference I guess.
Walk thru when closed would be high on my list. Some layouts look too close for me.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We've had 2018 3407 for about a year and really love the floor plan - especially the king bed. Plenty of room to get to the back and bathroom with the slides in. The only negative is the sleeper sofa - neither a comfortable sofa or bed. We're heading to Nappanee in April to have Newmar replace the sofa with 2 Lambright recliners and a lamp table. We'll join the ranks of the full-timers in July of this year.
Ventana303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Look at the VTDP comparison thread it was very detailed and complete comparison w pics and measurements closed.

There's been several mentions of the above topic, but my searches for it have come up dry. I'd be grateful for the link to that interesting topic.

Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, vent, ventana