Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Ventana 3634

Consider buying a 2014 Ventana 3634. I here a lot of good things about Newmar and was wondering if the power is adequate (ISB360) for this coach. We live here in So.California and wondering if it can handle the hills here.

Any info on this coach would be very helpful. My second choice is the Tiffin Phaeton 36.
alaterreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2014 Ventana 3436. I believe the 3634 and our coach are about the same weight. "Adequate" is a relative term, but the 360 hp ISB does just fine for us. We recently returned from a 3,000 mile trip that took us all over the mountains of the Pacific Northwest. We hit the scales at about 32,500 pounds combined weight (pulling Chevy Sonic). On steep grades I was able to maintain 50 - 55 mph in 4th gear. If I kept it in 5th, it would slow down some; it was just a matter of where the crest of the hill was and how much of a hurry I was in. Two or three times, on the steepest grades we climbed I had to go into 3rd. She held steady in 3rd at about 43 mph and 2500 or 2600 rpm. Some coach owners want low end torque so they can hold higher gears uphill. Me, I don't care. Going into 4th or 3rd is not going to hurt the engine a bit, and if it uses a bit more fuel - well, at the end of a 3,000 mile trip I seriously doubt the overall mpg's would be much different if at all.

Downhill is the real issue. Both the Phaeton and Ventana at 36 feet have exhaust brakes, as does our coach. I would really love the have the extra braking power of an engine brake. However, it is just a matter of making sure you keep it slow down steep grades so that you can keep it in a low enough gear. The only time I got a little nervous was going 11 miles down the 8% grade in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming (can't recall the name of the highway). My exhaust brake was unable to hold the speed down in 3rd gear, but it did pretty good in 2nd, although I still needed to brake some. No one was following me, so I wasn't in a hurry and going slow was the right option.

A friend of mine has the Phaeton 36GH. He has 20 more hp than I and 250 more foot pounds of torque. I am guessing his coach weighs similar to mine, but he pulls 1,000 pounds more of a car and quite a bit more personal items (he is full timing it). I figured he would take the hills much better than me with his added 250 foot pounds, but he doesn't. He says he typically just gets behind the trucks and follows them up. He can take some hills in 5th that I would have to take in 4th to maintain speed, but he isn't any faster than I going up. The two complaints he and his wife have about their Phaeton are the size of the bathroom, and the size of the kitchen countertop. Yes, the 36GH has that nice bathroom sink outside the bath, but their problem is with the minimal amount of room to stand outside the shower when drying off. In fact, they ended up taking out the sliding shower door and put in a curtain instead so they wouldn't always be banging into shower doors (can just slide the curtain totally out of the way I guess).

Regarding overall quality, I love their Phaeton. I also love my Ventana. If it was me, I would go with the one that you will be more comfortable living in. I wouldn't be concerned about the different engines. One more thing about the Phaeton. I believe it has adjustable throttle and brake pedals. I would really like that, since my legs are so short. I can't get my heel on the floor, and have to press the throttle pedal with must my toes. I am getting used to it, and use cruise whenever possible, but those adjustable pedals would be nice.

I am not sure what chassis the Phaeton has, but I like the fact that there are Freightliner service centers all over the country if I need one for my Ventana.
Vulcangw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
One more thing. Here is a link to an excellent paper by Caterpillar on horsepower demands. After reviewing this paper, I reached two conclusions important to me. 1) when it comes to climbing a hill, the horsepower is the key (the paper doesn't even mention torque), and 2) if I tow a pickup truck with my Goldwing in it instead of my Sonic, thereby adding about 3,500 pounds, it will probably slow me down about 5mph going uphill, and possibly require me to go into 3rd more often which will slow me down 10mph (from mid fifties in 4th to mid 40's in 3rd). I can handle that.

http://community.fmca.com/index.php?...&attach_id=453
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #4

I have a 2013 Ventana 3634 with the ISB 360HP. Driven 12,00 miles up and down the western states. Always towing a Jeep Wrangler with the coach loaded full. At times I have slowed to 40 mph climbing 6%- 8 % grades. Have dropped into 3rd gear a few times, but always was able to upshift after a short time My last MH was ISC 400HP which traveled the same places easier, but used considerately more fuel.

In agreement with Vulcangw going downhill. The ISB exhaust brake is weaker then my old ISC equipped engine brake.

All things considered I'm very satisfied with Newmar and believe my MH can go up any mountain even if the emergency flasher are on.

Best luck and test drive
Vivarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick response. You guys helped me a lot narrowing things down. VulanGW I love the 3636 but somebody told me there is not enough room for rear bathroom in a 36 footer. Can you elaborate on that.

Also how is the fuel mileage.

Thanks for all you guys help.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Alaterreur, we may have a little confusion here. I have a 3436, not a 3636, so I really can't comment on room for rear bath on the 3636.

With that said, I will comment regarding the rear bath on the Dutch Star 3736, which is similar to the Ventana 3636 and which I have looked at extensively and have test driven. I would like to trade up to the DS 3736, but my wife does not want to. She has determined it has less usable storage for kitchen items than our Ventana 3436, and she didn't care about having two baths. Most important to her is the slide out pantry drawers on our unit. Don't have those in the DS 3736.

To me, its all a matter of what is important to you. For instance, we both really like the Euro booth we have. it is not as roomy as a table and chairs fully extended, but it works for the two of us, and she really likes the storage drawers under the booth seats. What I really like about it is how we can use it so easily with slides all the way in - at rest stops when I don't want to deploy the slides and when passengers want to sit at the booth while I am driving. The hutch/table setup on the DS 3736 is just too cramped when slides are in. Also, our model is very easy to walk through with slides in, which makes it easy for wife to get to frig and make me a sandwich while we are driving. Again, the DS 3736 is not as easy to walk through and use while driving. These things are very important to how we use our coach, but might be of minimal importance to someone else. Different strokes for different folks.

Regarding mileage on my Ventana 3436. I have only put about 4,500 miles on it, but this is what I have observed so far. With my combined weight of 32,500 pounds I can get about 9.5 to 10 mpg going 60 under optimum environmental conditions (no wind, no grade, moderate to warm temperature). Draft behind a truck (at a "safe" distance) going 60 mph and I can get 10.5 to 10.8 without any problem, and if there is a tail wind while drafting I have gotten 11.5. Now, for the real world most of the time, on our 3,000 mile trip where we did a good amount of mountain climbing and battled some very stiff head winds and side winds, we averaged 9.1 mpgs going 60 to 65 mph.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #7

Thanks for the information. I just saw you have a 34. I was going to contact the dealer this week but I lost a partner at work yesterday. After the funeral I will contact them..Thank you.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
I have a bath 1/2 on a 37' and its ample for us and convenient. If you want one with double sinks you will have to move up to the King Aire.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for coach.
In my signature below there are links to many others the will relate to your to be Newmar.
Enjoy the forum and a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent