Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 01:13 AM   #1

Ventana 4369: location and how to kill power to inverter?

Was going to install a magnum ARC remote and magweb transmitter, but it said that all power (shore and battery) had to be removed before installing.

I only had 20 minutes and it was HOT, so I didn't empty my bays to start looking for inverter.

Is there a high amp breaker from battery to inverter? Do you flip breaker on pedestal (shore) and then shut off high amp DC breaker?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Was going to install a magnum ARC remote and magweb transmitter, but it said that all power (shore and battery) had to be removed before installing.

I only had 20 minutes and it was HOT, so I didn't empty my bays to start looking for inverter.

Is there a high amp breaker from battery to inverter? Do you flip breaker on pedestal (shore) and then shut off high amp DC breaker?

Should be on the ceiling of the middle storage bay, when I did mine I disconnected the batteries, positive first per the instructions and when done positive installed the positive cable last.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Should be on the ceiling of the middle storage bay, when I did mine I disconnected the batteries, positive first per the instructions and when done positive installed the positive cable last.
I'm probably not going to do my BRK right away (wait until it's a bit cooler).

So, do I need to disconnect the negative too, or just disconnect shore power and then the positive?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If shutting down...

I hit the salesman switch...
Disconnect the shore power/make sure generator is off and AGS disarmed
Remove 350A T-fuse in batt cpmt.

You can isolate the inverter from shore power via the two 30A CB in the distribution panel...but I usually just completely power down.

Honestly...the ME-ARC is a simple RJ12 cable. I swapped mine out without the whole power down. It recognized the new remote immediately. And I was able to go thru all the setup menus to get it talking the right language to the inverter. I guess shutdown is the safest way though.

You certainly will shut down when installing the ME-BMK...
Old 09-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I took have just swapped the ARC without power down. Same with AGS.

The BMK requires ground removal for shunt install, and therefore requires the proper sequence.

Not sure about the web interface, but I suspect it is similar to ARC and AGS.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I took have just swapped the ARC without power down. Same with AGS.

The BMK requires ground removal for shunt install, and therefore requires the proper sequence.

Not sure about the web interface, but I suspect it is similar to ARC and AGS.
The web interface just goes inline between the inverter and remote (either at remote end or inverter end) with the RJ11 connection.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The web interface just goes inline between the inverter and remote (either at remote end or inverter end) with the RJ11 connection.
I was on Magnum's site and didn't see this. I have been looking for something that will tell me at a minimum if I have lost shore power and trying to figure a convoluted way such as pluging something into a non-inverted outlet. That outlet apparently doesn't exist on my coach. Then I saw your post. Do you know if this will send a push notification, email or text, for events?
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkhorses View Post
I was on Magnum's site and didn't see this. I have been looking for something that will tell me at a minimum if I have lost shore power and trying to figure a convoluted way such as pluging something into a non-inverted outlet. That outlet apparently doesn't exist on my coach. Then I saw your post. Do you know if this will send a push notification, email or text, for events?
Here's a link to it: https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/ma...g-kit-wireless

That's the wireless model, but they have a slightly less expensive ethernet version.

Short answer to your question is no, it will not send any notifications, you have to go to the magweb site to see the status.

Longer answer. It has an option to make your data available without logging on, and then it's available on a webpage based on the serial number of your magweb. My plan is to use a website monitoring service, like hyperspin.com, which can be as little as a few dollars a month, or even free from some monitoring companies if it only checks every 15-30 minutes (I'll pay to check every few minutes).

These monitoring companies can check a webpage and send a email/text anytime it finds a phrase that you specify, or if a phrase you specify is missing. So, once I have it online and see how the statuses are displayed on the page, then I'll setup alerts to trigger based on certain key phrases and text me.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
There are some non-inverted outlets...

Washer
Dryer
Induction cooktop
Block heater
Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I didn't try those but will. I use a thing called temp stick that keeps track of the temperature inside which the cloud tells you if it lost connection or sends event triggers by text and email for free. But it runs only on battery. So my thought was to find something similar that ran on ac and when shore died it lost connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
There are some non-inverted outlets...

Washer
Dryer
Induction cooktop
Block heater
Old 09-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Too bad there isn't an app that will periodically check the site.

Quote:
Here's a link to it: https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/ma...g-kit-wireless

That's the wireless model, but they have a slightly less expensive ethernet version.

Short answer to your question is no, it will not send any notifications, you have to go to the magweb site to see the status.

Longer answer. It has an option to make your data available without logging on, and then it's available on a webpage based on the serial number of your magweb. My plan is to use a website monitoring service, like hyperspin.com, which can be as little as a few dollars a month, or even free from some monitoring companies if it only checks every 15-30 minutes (I'll pay to check every few minutes).

These monitoring companies can check a webpage and send a email/text anytime it finds a phrase that you specify, or if a phrase you specify is missing. So, once I have it online and see how the statuses are displayed on the page, then I'll setup alerts to trigger based on certain key phrases and text me.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Too bad there isn't an app that will periodically check the site.
There are. I'm more familiar with hosted services, and they provide false alarm protection. Meaning, if it tries to reach a site and it doesn't pull up, rather than alerting you, it will try from another location, but that said, there is a new crop of app based (I think some/most are free, but haven't spent much time researching), like this one for Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...alert&hl=en_US

There are quite a few on the Google play store (possibly the same for IOS, not sure), but I haven't yet researched any of these.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #13

Just by way of update. After there was a park power problem two nights ago, I decided ot just do what was suggested above and not worry about killing power just to swap out the remote and add the MagWeb.

So, last night, I took my old Magnum remote off, connected the MagWeb wireless module to the line from the inverter, and then tucked it in behind the panel, hooked the new RJ11 type cable from the MagWeb device to my ARC remote and attached that to the panel.

I plugged in the recieving end of the wireless to the UPS that also powers my two Pepwave routers and hooked up the ethernet to my primary Pepwave.

I emailed the serialnumber of the MagWeb and the username I wanted to Magnum support, which is what you need to do to get the online account setup, and I received the email about 30 minutes ago.

I then setup two monitors. First, using my traditional website monitoring service (hyperspin.com) and second, using the Android app I posted above.

When connected to shore power, there is a status of AC in, so that's what I had both monitoring service check for.

I went to the pedestal and flipped the breaker (I also wanted to check my AGS was setup correctly, as it's quite a bit different with the ARC vs RC), and within 30 seconds the generator started. I then raised the temp on the AC to no longer call for cooling, and the generator went into cool down and then shut down, as expected (with the ARC and my AGS-N version 6.0, it's no longer using a run time, but instead runs until cooling is no longer called for from Demetic thermostat).

Both my hyperspin and the android App alerted me that "AC in" was no longer the current status, as they should have, so they were alerting me that shore power was gone. Both of the alerts (app and monitoring service) alerted me when shore power returned, which was when the status changed back to "AC in."

Later or tomorrow I'll post some screen shots of what you get from the magweb service. It updates every 30 seconds, and also lets you check settings like whether AGS is enabled, what your charge rate (and other charging settings) is set to, whether the inverter is turned on, charger turned on, etc.

I would much prefer an integrated solution that let me both remotely monitor and configure, such as being able to turn on AGS remotely, but considering there is no option for that, I'm pleased with the results of this and I'll be much more comfortable now being able to remotely monitor the coach.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. So I'm curious if your setup monitors gen and can be set to watch for that. Sometimes we are on gen at the dog shows and would like to know if the gen died.
I did test my ags for temp start on loss of shore power and that worked. It also had me set a run time but I didn't test that. I don't know if it will shut down at the end of time, check for shore and start again if no shore and cooling is still called for. Still need to do that.

Tags
cat, inverter, power, vent, ventana