Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #1

Ventana LE 3412 Purchase

We are considering the Purchase of a Ventana 2018 LE 3412. Took it for a test drive which went pretty good in that I did not have much of a problem getting use to handling the MH. I have driven one other DP (Tiffin Breeze). I come from driving Class C's. This would be our first Class A. In the test drive we got pushed around by some 20+ mi winds. I thought that the COMFORT STEER would have taken care of that. Maybe the sensitivity dial needed to be turned up. It was set about 3. Granted it did get me back to the lane quickly. I guess it's just something to get accustomed to.

The floor plan and the fit and finish was outstanding. 2 concerns were 3 bay doors would not close. Found out on the test drive. Got back to the dealership and still couldn't get them closed. Latches seemed to be ok. Alignment seemed to be ok, but they still wouldn't close. Is there something else going on here?

One other thing I did not like is the fact that the kitchen slide had no topper because there isn't enough clearance for the awning. Is this something I should be concerned about from a leakage or debris getting caught standpoint. I don't really want to get up on a ladder to check it every time I pull it in.

I'd greatly appreciate any comments from present or former Ventana le owners or anyone else that have had experience with small diesel pushers.

Thank you.

Ed
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Two things help a motorhome in a direct crosswind, steering/suspension geometry and weight. I assume the chassis manufacturer has the former figured out, what you lack in a 34' coach is weight.

The Comfort Steer will take the effort out of fighting a constant crosswind, but can't help much against a sudden burst.

While your latches may look good, the catch may not be well aligned with the latch. I'd guess they can be adjusted.

I've heard nothing but good things from friends with Ventanas. A great value that has the look of a much higher end coach.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
EDRPS - first, welcome to the Newmar family! We have had our 2017 VTLE 3412 since June, and I'll try to respond to your questions based on our experience. For us it was an upgrade from a 34' Gas Class A (Monaco) so we were already used to driving a vehicle heavier and taller than what you likely had as a Class C.

Regarding cross-winds, yes, a taller vehicle will get buffeted especially by side winds. The 3412 is already more stable than our gas Class A since it's about 10,000 pounds heavier. We usually travel with pretty full fresh water tank (since we mostly dry camp) which helps with the center of gravity - you may want to think about that as you prepare for drives - an RV on a dealer lot will have mostly empty tanks. Regarding the Comfort Drive, if you were using it at a setting of "3" then yes, turning it up to "5" or "6" would make a significant difference in winds. We routinely turn it up to "6" on the highway and back down to "3" or "4" on city streets for the low-speed feel.

Also, remember the dealer vehicle likely has the tire pressures set at the maximum pressures on the label for the highest weight. Once you own the RV you can adjust the pressures based on an actual four-corner weigh which will probably be much lower, which will give you a more comfortable and more easily controlled ride.

Regarding the kitchen slide-out not having a topper, I agree I don't like that very much. As you saw, the patio awning covers that slide, and we routinely put the awning out just 3-4 feet to cover the slide. However, since the awning is equipped with a wind sensor it will sometimes auto-retract and then you're back to square one. Oh, and certainly no issues with leakage so far, on that or any of the other slides. So just something to weigh in your decisions.

Regarding the Bay doors not closing, yeah, that's a Newmar thing. Our dealer specifically warned us about that. The bays are highly insulated and the doors have a robust rubber seal to keep them clean and dry but makes it hard to close. You'll get used to slamming them shut hard, and with your hand directly on the latch. We did have one compartment that we could not get to latch on our first trip out; our shop adjusted it in consultation with Newmar.

You didn't raise it but just to bring it up - make sure you and your co-pilot can use the bathroom for all necessary activities. Somehow the space inside the 3412 bathroom is more cramped than in the other 34' Ventana floor plans and in particular drying yourself off after a shower is a bit of a clown show. And we're not particularly large people...

Good luck in your decisions; hope this helps. There are several other Ventana 3412 owners who post on these boards so others may be able to answer your questions.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We moved from a 30’ gas class A to our 43’ Dutch Star a few years ago. Great difference between the Ford F53 chassis and our XCR chassis when it comes to driveability. We have a tag axle which helps.
Read up on Comfort Drive, there’s a great document in the “stickies” in this forum.
We had to learn CD through experience but we each have our preferred settings for various conditions.
I wouldn’t have a large coach without it.
dc3carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

I had a 14 Ventana and got the Dutch Star. If you can swing it go to DSDP for better options, quieter generator. I should have done that to begin with and I'm much happier now. There is a big difference between the two the brochures don't tell you about.

Bob, Pat and Daisylee the JackABee
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
EDRPS - first, welcome to the Newmar family! We have had our 2017 VTLE 3412 since June, and I'll try to respond to your questions based on our experience. For us it was an upgrade from a 34' Gas Class A (Monaco) so we were already used to driving a vehicle heavier and taller than what you likely had as a Class C.

Regarding cross-winds, yes, a taller vehicle will get buffeted especially by side winds. The 3412 is already more stable than our gas Class A since it's about 10,000 pounds heavier. We usually travel with pretty full fresh water tank (since we mostly dry camp) which helps with the center of gravity - you may want to think about that as you prepare for drives - an RV on a dealer lot will have mostly empty tanks. Regarding the Comfort Drive, if you were using it at a setting of "3" then yes, turning it up to "5" or "6" would make a significant difference in winds. We routinely turn it up to "6" on the highway and back down to "3" or "4" on city streets for the low-speed feel.

Also, remember the dealer vehicle likely has the tire pressures set at the maximum pressures on the label for the highest weight. Once you own the RV you can adjust the pressures based on an actual four-corner weigh which will probably be much lower, which will give you a more comfortable and more easily controlled ride.

Regarding the kitchen slide-out not having a topper, I agree I don't like that very much. As you saw, the patio awning covers that slide, and we routinely put the awning out just 3-4 feet to cover the slide. However, since the awning is equipped with a wind sensor it will sometimes auto-retract and then you're back to square one. Oh, and certainly no issues with leakage so far, on that or any of the other slides. So just something to weigh in your decisions.

Regarding the Bay doors not closing, yeah, that's a Newmar thing. Our dealer specifically warned us about that. The bays are highly insulated and the doors have a robust rubber seal to keep them clean and dry but makes it hard to close. You'll get used to slamming them shut hard, and with your hand directly on the latch. We did have one compartment that we could not get to latch on our first trip out; our shop adjusted it in consultation with Newmar.

You didn't raise it but just to bring it up - make sure you and your co-pilot can use the bathroom for all necessary activities. Somehow the space inside the 3412 bathroom is more cramped than in the other 34' Ventana floor plans and in particular drying yourself off after a shower is a bit of a clown show. And we're not particularly large people...

Good luck in your decisions; hope this helps. There are several other Ventana 3412 owners who post on these boards so others may be able to answer your questions.
Thank you. Your post was very helpful. We will have to do the bathroom walk around before we decide.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrps View Post
We are considering the Purchase of a Ventana 2018 LE 3412. Took it for a test drive which went pretty good in that I did not have much of a problem getting use to handling the MH. I have driven one other DP (Tiffin Breeze). I come from driving Class C's. This would be our first Class A. In the test drive we got pushed around by some 20+ mi winds. I thought that the COMFORT STEER would have taken care of that. Maybe the sensitivity dial needed to be turned up. It was set about 3. Granted it did get me back to the lane quickly. I guess it's just something to get accustomed to.

The floor plan and the fit and finish was outstanding. 2 concerns were 3 bay doors would not close. Found out on the test drive. Got back to the dealership and still couldn't get them closed. Latches seemed to be ok. Alignment seemed to be ok, but they still wouldn't close. Is there something else going on here?

One other thing I did not like is the fact that the kitchen slide had no topper because there isn't enough clearance for the awning. Is this something I should be concerned about from a leakage or debris getting caught standpoint. I don't really want to get up on a ladder to check it every time I pull it in.

I'd greatly appreciate any comments from present or former Ventana le owners or anyone else that have had experience with small diesel pushers.

Thank you.

You shouldn’t feel a 20 mph breeze. At least I don’t in my 2017 Ventanna LE 4037
The bay doors are tight. My dealer said they could adjust them but said the rubber gaskets would compress with time. The doors we use most are easy to shut the others take a firm slam.

We had Newmar add a slide topper to the kitchen slide. There is enough room to add it.

Good luck in your search.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Edrps - other members of this forum with the 3412 floor plan are:

DG86
ghanu
OverDo
Waywards

You may want to check their profiles and review their previous posts for other information about this model.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lack of a topper on the kitchen slide is common with many Newmars. Solution is simple - just extend the main awning out a foot or so to serve the purpose if you don't want to extend it all the way.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
Edrps - other members of this forum with the 3412 floor plan are:

DG86
ghanu
OverDo
Waywards

You may want to check their profiles and review their previous posts for other information about this model.
Thank you. Will do.

Ed
Old 12-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2014 Ventana 4369. Bay doors were/ are a problem. The factory adjusted the latches but after two years, we had to pay to finally replace one of the latches. Once all the little new coach issues were resolved, we absolutely love it. Our previous coach was a Canyon Star. The comfort drive, dual tag and added weight certainly made the difference with being shoved around on the highway. Good to know that we can add the slide topper.
katiejo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, vent, ventana