Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCPA View Post
You may want to consider a 2015 left over.
Here are a few examples:

Bish's RV (Utah) VLDP 3635 (36ft 8in) on sale $179,995

Fife RV (Wash) VLDP 3436
3636 (36ft 8in)
VTDP 3436 2 units
3636 (36ft 8in)

The 3635 and 3636 models have the TV directly across from the couch.

That's a fair hike from me (Va). I did notice them though. I think I can get into a new one for about that much here, but will see for sure soon enough. But thanks for sharing those models, as I wouldn't of known about the different model numbers in my online searches
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wracinti View Post
We like ours a lot. Bought it used with only 17,500 miles after 6 and 1/2 years use. Half of new, so the deals are out there. Driving is good but to be straight up front, in wind conditions the short wheel base is a hand full in my opinion. Just the nature of the beast in a short coach

That's what I am most interested in seeing....how they drive. I am going to setup test drives with the newmar, and then some others to see if I can tell the difference in handling.

It has been awhile since I have driven a big wind sail like that, but I towed my 39ft, 16k lbs toy hauler 5100 miles last year (through mountains in west va out to Midwest hitting 40 mph winds and back) and it was fine. Rock solid in the wind and the mountains.

I am thinking a 36-38ft motorhome with air ride, etc will be a considerably different "feeling"...but that is what I am anxious to see. I have been reading that the longer coaches tend to have a better ride (to be expected with longer wheelbase I suppose)
Old 02-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #17

We just traded our 2000 Dutch Star for a Ventana LE 4002 which we hope to get in May or June. Never had any trouble with the slide. It was a fantastic coach! That is why we returned to Newmar.

Check the length to wheelbase ratio to help in determining driving comfort. The Ventana LE we ordered was 56% and handled well on the road. You can figure it out by dividing the wheelbase by the length. You want to be at least mid fifties. Be sure to drive one before purchasing. I recommend you join the RV Consumer Group. They rate the coaches, get into this wheelbase, towing, etc. They also have books that are worth purchasing as they have a wealth of information. We used them when we purchased our Dutch Star and now to purchase the LE.

Keep us posted on your search!
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #18

Thanks for sharing your experiences with newmar. I will look into the Rv consumer group. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #19
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Yes, you can access the fridge with the slides in, as well as use the kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen is a bit snug, but certainly useable. We use our 3436 Ventana LE that way on short stops or brief overnight stops in rest areas where we can't, or don't feel comfortable, putting out the slides.

In your reference to "Comfort Ride," I think you are referring to Comfort Drive. Yes, it is included in the Ventana and Ventana LE models. And, absolutely YES, it does make a big difference...at least to my wife and I. It is adjustable through a range from light assist to heavy assist, and infinite points in between. We like it at the 3 to 3.5 setting. It smooths out the steering to the point where you are never fighting the wheel, even in cross-winds.

We find the size of this rig to be just right for our needs. We are not full-timers, but do take extended trips of up to two months in it. A very comfortable rig to drive, as well as to live in for an extended period of time. And, Newmar does make a quality product!
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:31 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having had two Dutch Stars, the '00 with fiberglass and the '02 with BriteTek I'd go with the BriteTek. It's NOT "rubber" it's a TPO and designed to last at least 20 years on buildings with no maintenance although you do need to check the sealant just like you would on a full fiberglass one every 6 months. We had the '02 DSDP for 13 years and, with a little more scrubbing, it would still have looked new. Plus the BriteTek is quieter in the rain than the fiberglass.
Newmar has never use the Schwintek slide mechanism, in fact they've, up till the latest ones, used their own design.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
That's a fair hike from me (Va). I did notice them though. I think I can get into a new one for about that much here, but will see for sure soon enough. But thanks for sharing those models, as I wouldn't of known about the different model numbers in my online searches
I'd stay as far away from the dealer in Fife as possible. We ordered our '02 DSDP from them and had nothing but trouble getting service. The had it 113 days out of the first 305 days of ownership and I still had to take it to Newmar to get it done right. Plus there were other legal troubles that we had to take to the AG's office.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:39 AM   #22

Thanks again for the info. After looking a bit more, I feel a different model might be in order. It's a little tighter in there than i first thought. Also the 5000lb tow rating gives me some pause (actually the gcvwr). Speaking of, what gives the ventana series so much more capacity than the le series? Is it the bigger tranny? Perhaps the chassis is heavier duty? I looked and couldn't find the specific reasons.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #23

Both the VLDP and VTLP use the same Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation XCR series chassis. The main frame rails are the same. The differences are the VTDP has the more HP, the stronger M3000 tranny and heavier axles.

Given your comment It's a little tighter in there than i first thought, and also the Price $. You may want to look at the 40 foot LE models. The LE 40 foot models use the longer 257" wheel basis chassis. This longer chassis uses the larger engine, tranny and axles found on the shorter Ventana. A well equipped 40ft LE is less $$ than a short Ventana
FLCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Thanks again for the info. After looking a bit more, I feel a different model might be in order. It's a little tighter in there than i first thought. Also the 5000lb tow rating gives me some pause (actually the gcvwr). Speaking of, what gives the ventana series so much more capacity than the le series? Is it the bigger tranny? Perhaps the chassis is heavier duty? I looked and couldn't find the specific reasons.
On the 40' LEs the limitation is the hitch. It has a 5000lb hitch on the LE and 10000lb on the Ventana. LEs that are less than 40', it is the hitch and Cummins (340HP)/Allison (2500) setup.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #25

Ok so the cgvwr and corresponding higher payload and towing is due to bigger engine and tranny, but I need to step up from the le models to ventana line. I also like the Berkshire 38a, but that's similar gcwr as the le line I think. I have a lot of research and walk throughs to do I think.

I was ready to swing the ventana le or Berkshire (35-36ft models) at around 170-180k, but the bigger models with more carrying capacity and towing capacity would better suite me. Might need to wait until later in the year to swing one of those as I would assume I'm looking out the door over 200k? Thanks again for all the great info
Old 03-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #26

Will you be trading or selling your current TH yourself? If you go in with no trade, a deal could get you under $200K (depending on options) for a Ventana from one of the well known dealers.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #27

I don't know if i have the energy and time to sell it myself. It's in a storage lot 10 miles from me and I've sold enough atv's and things on Craigslist to second guess putting the th on there.

Maybe I could try Rv trader or something? I suppose it would be worth it if we r talking 5-10k or more difference (trade in compared to selling it) if a couple thousand I'd just as soon trade it in and make it easier, but then again the dealers like to play the trade in value and price discount game.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #28

The hitches on Newmar Diesels are supplied by the Chassis manufacture. In this case FCCC. FCCC's chassis spec sheets which I included in an earlier post state the following:

Ventana LE chassis - 5,000 lbs

Ventana chassis - 5,000 lbs weight carrying / 10,000 lbs weight distribution

I am not sure what the definition of "weight distribution" is. I suggest you talk with Newmar or FCCC.
FLCPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent