RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ventana or ventana le

I am considering moving up from winnebago to newmar looking at at the vantana and vantana le. Not talking about the tag axel models
what is the real difference. the specs show vantana much heaver by 12000lbs and 20 hp, the same engine must be tuning??

Also lookin at the canyon star, like the longer wheel base on the 3810 than the vantana le

any experience information appreciated, thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Ventana LE is the least expensive version of the Ventana series less options different cabinets, cheaper materials.
You can do a comparison between the two on their web site.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
I am considering moving up from winnebago to newmar looking at at the vantana and vantana le. Not talking about the tag axel models
what is the real difference. the specs show vantana much heaver by 12000lbs and 20 hp, the same engine must be tuning??

Also lookin at the canyon star, like the longer wheel base on the 3810 than the vantana le

any experience information appreciated, thanks
RON: I think you will find the biggest single difference is the lack of the TRW "Comfort Drive" on the LE, which is "reverse speak" for Entry Level. I believe the LE is the only Newmar DP without Comfort Drive, which most owners claim they will NEVER be without again.

The interior quality of the Canyon Star "may" be comparable to the LE, but the CSCA is a front engine gasser (Ford), and should not be compared to any DP, IMO. If you are seeing a longer WB on the gasser, I would suspect a typo.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From the Newmar website link posted above:

"Powered by a smooth Cummins® ISB 340 HP engine and a Freightliner Custom Chassis, Ventana LE comes with Newmar's signature Comfort Drive™ Steering standard..."

No dog in this hunt, just saying...
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post
From the Newmar website link posted above:

"Powered by a smooth Cummins® ISB 340 HP engine and a Freightliner Custom Chassis, Ventana LE comes with Newmar's signature Comfort Drive™ Steering standard..."

No dog in this hunt, just saying...
THANKS for this correction. I was not aware they had begun including CD on the LE, but that "standards" page is for the 2012 models, so I think they've had ample time to correct it IF it was a typo.....

CD was NOT part of the LE when I looked at them a while back, in fact the salesman tried to make us believe the lack of CD was the "only" difference from the higher priced Ventana, as if we could not see the vinyl flooring instead of the polished porcelin tile.

Ed
Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Because you made no mention of length I am assuming the ISBXT engine is what you are talking about. If your looking at performance, the Ventana is not only 20 HP above the LE, but more importantly 140 Ftlb of torque above the LE. With diesels torque is where it is at, the more torque the better the performance especially if you have hills and mountains to go over. The Ventana is a step above Newmars "Entry Level" Diesel Pusher, but as an owner of a Ventana, before the LE was offered, I can say the Newmars "Entry Level" models are far better, (more features, better fit and function, better materials) than any of the competitors. I would look at the cost of an LE optioned up to the Ventana level as part of my comparison. You may find the Ventana is more bang for the $$.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikester View Post
Because you made no mention of length I am assuming the ISBXT engine is what you are talking about......Spike
The Newmar Ventana LE site, under "standards" , says the motor is "Lt"

Freightliner® XCR Chassis with 340Hp Cummins ISB “Lt” Engine
END QUOTE

I have no clue what that may mean.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=edgray;1293700]The Newmar Ventana LE site, under "standards" , says the motor is "Lt"

I saw that on the Newmar Website, so I went to the Cummins Engine Website under Motorhomes and looked under thier 2010 EPA certified ISB engines, they do not list an "Lt" version of the ISB. There is a 340 HP, 340 AD HP and the ISBXT at 360 HP. Noted that the ratings for the 340 and the 340 AD were exactly the same. Also did a google search for an ISB 340 LT, nothing went back to Cummins so assumed it was a typo on the brochure. If my assumption was bad and caused any confusion, my bad!

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #9

Just looked and don't see Comfort Drive mentioned on the
2013 Ventana LE model, so looks like still not offered on the LE line. Think this is one main reason to step up to the Non-LE version.

Motorhomes By Newmar Corp | Ventana LE Standard Features

If someone finds other wise post a link to it.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Spikester;1294213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
The Newmar Ventana LE site, under "standards" , says the motor is "Lt"

I saw that on the Newmar Website, so I went to the Cummins Engine Website under Motorhomes and looked under thier 2010 EPA certified ISB engines, they do not list an "Lt" version of the ISB. There is a 340 HP, 340 AD HP and the ISBXT at 360 HP. Noted that the ratings for the 340 and the 340 AD were exactly the same. Also did a google search for an ISB 340 LT, nothing went back to Cummins so assumed it was a typo on the brochure. If my assumption was bad and caused any confusion, my bad!

Spike
RV corp. websites are infamous for containing typos and "unintentional" mis-leading info. Newmar is no exception.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I compared them there was no mention of a hitch on the Ventana LE. The tow capacity on the LE seems to be in the 2,000 lb area, kinda low.

Ventana LE only has single pane windows, no tinting on windshield.

This list of options is much nicer on the standard Ventana.

With MSRP starting at $203k for the Ventana LE and $233K for the Ventana, it would be a tough decision for me. I would select a model I like in the Ventana line, then try to option one of the Ventana LE's to the same level, then compare.

Good Luck.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
2013 Ventana LE model, so looks like still not offered on the LE line. Think this is one main reason to step up to the Non-LE version.

Corwin: Please see post # 3, 4, & 5 in THIS thread (above) . I was "sure" the LE did not come with CD, but then after seeing the post saying I was wrong, I went to the Newmar site and I SAW & READ the line quoted in the post by " Z714X4" (above), and therefore I posted my "thanks for the correction". However, TODAY, when I go back to the same page on the Newmar site, the words related to the CD on the VTDP-LE have apparently been deleted.

The bottom line is that all this "confusion" is because of website content issues, and is why almost all corporate literature contains "consult your dealer" dis-claimers.

I'm back to my original OPINION that the LE does NOT include CD.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post

Motorhomes By Newmar Corp | Ventana LE Standard Features

Interesting. I was actually looking at an LE, daydreaming, but it has the floorplan we like.

I have a feeling you are correct and it does NOT come with CD... but I did read it on their website... I think...
I sent an email to Newmar asking for clarification on the Comfort Drive and will let everyone know the answer.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reply from Newmar Marketing Manager...

Question, Concern, or Specific Request: "Do the 2012 and/or the 2013 Ventana LE models come with Comfort Drive?"

Answer: "No they do not. The following models carry Comfort Drive Steering: Ventana, Dutch Star, Mountain Aire, Essex and King Aire. Thank you."

Bummer.