RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #1

Ventana VS Dutch Star VS Kountry Star

Looking at these in the 2004 to 2007 range. All closely priced, but what's the difference in the 3 models? Pecking order?

Dutch Star
https://valdosta.craigslist.org/rvs/...550514430.html

Kountry Star
https://www.rickbakersrvcenter.com/d...=xAllInventory

Ventana
https://www.rvt.com/Newmar-Ventana-3...086285-UX91059

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #2

One biggy is the side radiator in the Dutch Star.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #3

The Ventana has some seriously mismatched paint on the frontend. It would be nice to know if it has been smacked or if they tried to repaint the rock chip damage. Regardless, I'd want the paint to match or deduct $3,000 or $4,000 from the price just for that alone.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
2017 Mazda Miata MX-5 toad on a double axle car hauling trailer
tizzyfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #4

Line wise the Dutchy is the top of the three I think.

Got mine 2 months ago with 8500 miles on it. Basically new rig at used price.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
In those days the entry level was the ventana, next up was the kountry star, and the Dutch star the top of the three.i compared the ventana with the kountry star and while my kountry Star has every option available at the time, electric jacks the exception, I chose it based on floor plan. I bought from a dealers in stock. Mine also has the side radiator on a spartan chassis. About only difference between mine and a Dutch star is the front axel is rated 1000 pounds less than the Dutch so 100 gal of fuel as opposed to 150. Don’t know about the ventana. Mine has had side walls changed, left off the decals as they wrinkled and when I take it in for service everyone always thinks it’s a Dutch star. Dash is even basically the same for those years
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vantena -> Kountry Star -> Dutch Star.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I didn't even notice that. That's a fature I'd like to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
The Ventana has some seriously mismatched paint on the frontend. It would be nice to know if it has been smacked or if they tried to repaint the rock chip damage. Regardless, I'd want the paint to match or deduct $3,000 or $4,000 from the price just for that alone.
I did notice that. I wasn't sure if it was faded or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
Line wise the Dutchy is the top of the three I think.

Got mine 2 months ago with 8500 miles on it. Basically new rig at used price.
Thanks. Congrats on your new rig. That's low miles for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin4it View Post
In those days the entry level was the ventana, next up was the kountry star, and the Dutch star the top of the three.i compared the ventana with the kountry star and while my kountry Star has every option available at the time, electric jacks the exception, I chose it based on floor plan. I bought from a dealers in stock. Mine also has the side radiator on a spartan chassis. About only difference between mine and a Dutch star is the front axel is rated 1000 pounds less than the Dutch so 100 gal of fuel as opposed to 150. Donít know about the ventana. Mine has had side walls changed, left off the decals as they wrinkled and when I take it in for service everyone always thinks itís a Dutch star. Dash is even basically the same for those years
So what's your cargo capacity? I prefer the look of that Kountry Star, but some of it's cargo doors are delaminated. I have not seen the other two in person though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Vantena -> Kountry Star -> Dutch Star.
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #8

I saw that kountry star awhile back and was interested in it as well. Side rad of the ds keeps me looking at them though
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
I saw that kountry star awhile back and was interested in it as well. Side rad of the ds keeps me looking at them though
First time serpentine belt replacement today. Aside from removing the A/C belt, the serp belt took about 10 minutes. Very easy when there's no radiator in the way.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin4it View Post
In those days the entry level was the ventana, next up was the kountry star, and the Dutch star the top of the three.i compared the ventana with the kountry star and while my kountry Star has every option available at the time, electric jacks the exception, I chose it based on floor plan. I bought from a dealers in stock. Mine also has the side radiator on a spartan chassis. About only difference between mine and a Dutch star is the front axel is rated 1000 pounds less than the Dutch so 100 gal of fuel as opposed to 150. Donít know about the ventana. Mine has had side walls changed, left off the decals as they wrinkled and when I take it in for service everyone always thinks itís a Dutch star. Dash is even basically the same for those years

Me too on the KStar. Every option as Dutch Star, not as glitzy on the interior, but we have done lots of upgrades on the interior ourselves. Sleep Number bed, taller china toilet, residential shower doors, tiled back splash, wood crown molding, hard wood floor thru out, including slides.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The Dutch Star is the superior coach. The side radiator makes doing things on the engine easier and cheaper.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Same as DGBPokes, our 3910 has every option including the 400 Cummins engine. Side radiator as I’ve had rear ones but never again.Inside trim and furniture of the Dutch star a little more finished, but our upholstery is holding up better than a friends 2008 Dstar. Think the front axel is rated at 10,000 lbs, but not sure. If I was out of hospital a little longer I’d go check and see but instead will remain “lazy”. I remember spartan telling me Newmar went cheap and put 1000 lb less rated axel than the DStar
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Doesn't anyone care about the size of the engine? There's more to diesels than just horsepower. Size does matter! The Ventanna is running a Cat C7; I assume the DS has a larger engine probably with a compression brake. Compression brakes are significantly better than exhaust brakes but are only found in larger engines.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post

08 Kountry Star has side rad, 400 Cummins, all the same trim as DS, with some exceptions. Vinyl floors wallboard panels etc. DS is best if the prices are close enough, but donít discount KS.

Tags
dutch star, vent, ventana