RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
GKU

Ventana vs Phaeton

We have been looking at the Ventana and the Phaeton making comparisons. In our opinion the Ventana has it all over the Phaeton except for one thing the cabinet space especially in the kitchen-- living area is not enough when compared to the Phaeton or RED.

We have a Tiffin RED 38 and it has more usable space than the Ventana.

DW says that this lack of space will be a show stopper. Even though in all other areas the Ventana places better.

Is this something with the design of the Newmars?

Can anyone help with suggestions on how we can overcome this and still make DW happy.

GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Contact Newmar and see what they can do as far as change of cabinet space or rearrangements.
This thread will give you some people to deal with.
This link will give more info on what to decide on in building your Newmar.
Good luck.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the same concerns comparing our existing Phaeton cabinet space to the Newmar Dutch Stars... but quit worrying after hearing how flexible Newmar is to customizing builds to meet our needs.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #4

We have been looking at the Tiffin Red 38 QRA and the Ventana 3812 le
I see you have a 38 qra What do you think about that coach having owned one?
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
GKU

We feel that there are two problems with the RED 38.
1. It is under-powered (340 cummins -- 2500 allison)
2. The total weight GVWR is 33,000. We weighed the coach with two people and full of fuel along with our "stuff" It weighted in at about 29,000. We didn't have a full load of stuff, so you can easily overload the coach depending on the tow vehicle.

The rest of the coach is good, nice interior design, king bed, bath and a half, etc.

For us though the above two item is causing us to many problem, this is a case where I didn't do enough home work before purchasing. So I am trying to get out as graceful as possible and we are considering Newmar Ventana.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ventana vs Phaeton

We have 2013 Ventana 4038 model with tag axle. We looked at both for a long time and found this model has more counter space and living area than the Tiffin. And we both enjoy the Comfort Steer.
rjmmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

We were looking at an Allegro RED and a Ventana LE. After really researching both, we've decided to hold out for a Ventana. One big reason for Xing off the RED was because of the cargo capacity. There just didn't seem to be much left after adding water, food & gear and allowing for a toad.

We were then left with the Ventana LE but the more I compared it to a Ventana, the more appealing the Ventana became.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
We have been looking at the Ventana and the Phaeton making comparisons. In our opinion the Ventana has it all over the Phaeton except for one thing the cabinet space especially in the kitchen-- living area is not enough when compared to the Phaeton or RED.

We have a Tiffin RED 38 and it has more usable space than the Ventana.

DW says that this lack of space will be a show stopper. Even though in all other areas the Ventana places better.

Is this something with the design of the Newmars?

Can anyone help with suggestions on how we can overcome this and still make DW happy.
GKU,
I have a Phaeton 38QSH. For technical reasons I would prefer a Newmar Ventana (or even a Dutchstar). But, quite frankly, the floor plans come no where near pleasing us. And any comparison between storage of like length units (e.g. 40' Ventanna vs. 40' Phaeton) is no comparison at all; Newmar simply has NO interior storage compared to the Phaeton.

I tried very hard this past winter to get from my Phaeton to a Ventanna (or even a Dutchstar). Their primary insistence on using full wall slides and the lack of any real usable storage inside for a coffee make and crockpot killed any hope we had of getting a Newmar.

Complicating the matter was that Newmar wasn't flexible in changing cabinets in a Ventanna. I think that's reserved for Dutchstars and, most like, higher end coaches.

When walking in a coach we first look for floor plan we like. If that doesn't work out then there is no manner of rationalizing how nice tag axels are or upgraded steering systems are to have. Undersirable floor plan = no go.

So, for now, me and the DW are not able to "get into" a Newmar. I did find a 2012 40' floor plan that, thankfully, wasn't a full wall slide, but the dealer was not very flexible in selling his new, 2 year old coach.

I'm not trying to bash Newmar. I'm just saying - inside storage comparison between Phaetons and Ventanna's/Dutchstars is a no brainer - Phaeton wins every time.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
GKU

Yes we are finding the same thing we are still trying hard to get into a Newmar, but every comparison shows the Phaeton has much more storage space.

We haven't made up mind just yet, but we are getting close. Going to go look at some more Newmars this next week, after that we should be ready for a decision.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To be honest, we agree about Newmar's lack of cupboard and cabinet space at least in our case. Our Winnebago Adventurer had a lot better setup and volume of coach storage in the kitchen compared to our DSDP.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will not find the cabinet space you may need in a Newmar its never been that way, same thing happened in bedrooms when people wanted larger beds they cut out the full wardrobe closets and now have draws below upper cabinets and you have to hang your pants folded over the hanger with your shirt.
Kitchen slide headers take up some of the cabinet space in the slides so header does not sage as in some other brands.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #12
GKU

I have never heard of the sagging slide out problem. What is it and on what models / manufacturers are they a problem?
Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
I have never heard of the sagging slide out problem. What is it and on what models / manufacturers are they a problem?
I believe that Newmar's thicker header for the slide openings is designed to support a strong structural box. As a result, the slide is shorter vertically and you have shorter cabinets. You also have a structurally sound roof / roof rails to vertical wall joint. I don't know if Newmar has had any issues with roof / roof rails to vertical wall type of issues.

Yes we would like to stand a box of cereal up in the cabinets. Yes a 4" taller cabinet would be great but you would lose some window height. We have learned to pack accordingly and still have some open cabinet space.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I looked at a Phaeton 40AH and the compartment doors hit the slide. Will this be the slide sagging or the doors installed wrong?

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent