Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Vin Number and title

Have you seen this? Yesterday I rec’d the packet from the out of state dealer where I am purchasing my 2014 Mountain Air. I took the title from PA to our DMV here in VA. When they plugged in the info, the chassis came back as a 2015 while the coach is 2014 and kicked it out. I understand how this happens and so do you but why? Why isn’t something like this resolved from Newmar? The dealer contacted Newmar and they are drafting a letter explaining this for the DMV. What an unnecessary aggravation.
TWINCAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

I plug in my chassis on my 2006 Fleetwood and it comes back 2004?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
The only thing at all unusual about this is it’s usually the other way around because Chassis’s are built before the coach. So last year model chassis tend to show up on next year model motor homes.

In this case, looks like Newmar squeezed in a late model year 14 on a newer chassis. I’m sure a letter from Newmar should straighten this out.

One would think the folks at the VA DMV would be familiar with this
situation.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:08 PM   #4

My 2018 Ventana is on it's way to the dealer from Newmar now.

The Freightliner chassis VIN # indicates it is a 2019 chassis.

I'll see what the state DMV says about it when I register it.
i'm also going to ask the dealer about it during delivery.

I didn't think about any issues when I noticed a few weeks ago the year discrepancies.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

Nothing that happens concerning the VA DMV does not surprise me at all. The last two days I have been dealing with them trying to register my LADP. Yesterday, their database would not allow a LADP to have three axles. I finally got that issue squared up (they goggled the coach type and yes, it has three axles) and received my tags. Got home and the two tags were different, as in different numbers. I returned to the DMV today and the lady behind the counter acted like it was my fault. She pulled out three other sets of tags and all three were mismatched. We thought it was funny, she had no sense of humor. Good luck with your quest
Old 04-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
DMV is always fun. When we registered our 2011 MADP The person behind the counter told us we had a dutch star and we told her to take another look at the paper work and she put a line thru MA and said it was a Dutch Star !!! So okay that`s fine it saves us money each year on registration.
Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Vin Number and title

The 10th digit of the Vin is the year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3409.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	200634  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well it’s Friday morning and have not heard anything from Newmar as yet. I can also tell you that on closer inspection of the original title from PA, the commonwealth does not help. On the title there is no mention of Newmar or Mountain Aire. Just Freightliner. It seems that the title for the “incomplete chassis” should have been married with the coach docs to make one final title. Just saying.

Thanks Stuart for the chart. I took a screen shot of it.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINCAMSAM View Post
Well it’s Friday morning and have not heard anything from Newmar as yet. I can also tell you that on closer inspection of the original title from PA, the commonwealth does not help. On the title there is no mention of Newmar or Mountain Aire. Just Freightliner. It seems that the title for the “incomplete chassis” should have been married with the coach docs to make one final title. Just saying.

Thanks Stuart for the chart. I took a screen shot of it.
Yes, on one of my previous coaches, DMV tried to title as a Freightliner truck instead of a Tiffin. The Certificates of Origin, Freightliner and Tiffin together made a Tiffin Phaeton.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #10

When we bought our Pace Arrow Vision, it was previously registered and titled in Michigan as a 1998. Michigan used the 'house' build date. When we titled and registered it in Florida, our state uses the VIN, not the house build completion date and thus was titled as a 1999. It was the first year V-10.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:02 AM   #11

A few years ago we purchased a 2015 gas MH in Illinois while traveling. According to the VIN the chassis was a 2014. When the Illinois dealer sent the docs to Florida DMV to get our title transfer and plates they registered it and titled it as a 2014. Illinois had it titled as a 2015 by original owner. Go figure.

We got a really good deal on it though so no foul.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:34 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well the story got a little stickier before it ended. After my last post Friday morning, while waiting on Newmar, I decided to go to a nearby small town DMV to see what happened. I did. No problem. A breeze. However while riding home and closer inspection of the paperwork including the temp vehicle registration had it as 2015 Freightliner. No mention of Newmar, MA or 2014. PANIC! I called the dealer, Newmar and the previous owner. Finally about 2pm, I rec’d the letter from Newmar, notarized and a certificate of origin. I dashed down the little DMV and presented my case. The wonderful clerk said “NO PROBLEM”. And she did not need all the new documents. WTH? 20 mins later I am the the proverbial “HAPPY CAMPER!” We pick our MH in PA next Saturday. Thanks the help and listening.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #13

You may want to take a picture of your VIN sticker and print/store those for future use. The sticker can be difficult to see (on some RVs) when the slides are in.