RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2007, 05:42 AM   #1

It is 13 degrees here at 7:38 (very unusal)... You can see what rig I have by reading my signature. My heater is set at 50 and the basement blower is on... Everything seems to be OK except my hoses in the service bay are FROZEN... Did I not do something? To keep them thawed. I disconnected my hookup and coiled the hose and closed the door yet they still froze... Any pointers you experts can give me? HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks Lee

2017 Silverado Z-71 Pulling 2017.5 Lance 1985
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2007, 05:42 AM   #2

It is 13 degrees here at 7:38 (very unusal)... You can see what rig I have by reading my signature. My heater is set at 50 and the basement blower is on... Everything seems to be OK except my hoses in the service bay are FROZEN... Did I not do something? To keep them thawed. I disconnected my hookup and coiled the hose and closed the door yet they still froze... Any pointers you experts can give me? HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks Lee

Old 01-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #3

Lee, That does not sound right. With the temp set at 50 degrees the heat should have prevent a freeze. Are you sure your basement fan is working?
I've done similar, once it went down to 0 and it still made it through.

Peter
Old 01-13-2007, 06:33 AM   #4

Thanks Lug

How do I tell if that blower (underneith) is working? Where is it located? I was told that it goes on when the coach blower is on? When I am looking in the bay I can hear the coach blower come on but I don't feel any air blowing in the outside bay.......

Old 01-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been in Florida in Febuary and had my water hose freeze. I would turn up your temp and do check to see if your compartment is warm. If it gets that cold here will fill water tank and turn up temp. Also if hole for hose is open and not blocked with insulation of some kind cold air will defeat heater in that bay.
Its not even 13* here you must be in the mountains.
The blower will be near your water tank driver side if you look in foil tube you should see fan.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #6

Good advice 007 about the hose hole... It was open..

I am not in the mountains I am about 30 miles inland from the ocean...... lol

I am learning....

Old 01-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #7

Can anyone tell me where this blower is in the basement...and how to turn it on?

I have the coach sset at 55 degrees inside but am concerned about the tanks and lines freezing since it was 19 degrees over night!

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can anyone tell me where this blower is in the basement...and how to turn it on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look for a foil covered hose and follow it back. It turns on with the in house fan providing it is armed with the basement heat switch.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
ED-DEB you can look at other post by Lee B just above you. What does this switch in my bay do.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yesterday in Seattle where my coach is parked it got down to 16degrees . A couple of days before I installed an indoor/outdoor thermometer system. It has the master in the coach and remote in the bay by the water hookups. Before I left, I turned on all the bay lights ( 12V) to see what the effect would be. This system also records the MIN and MAX temperature between resets. The 16 degree night it recorded 27 degrees as it's lowest. I have winterized but wanted to run a test. Seems to work. I read in an earlier post from a member in Vancover that used the same method.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
KayLarGo I thought you were from the FL. Keys. 16* it hasn't been that cold here yet.
If you are plugged into 110v or pedestal for power you will be ok, just don't run down your house batteries you may not be able to start your GEN if you need it.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have it covered. We have 15 amp shore power and are under cover. I have a small charger plugged into the lighter on the dash for the chassis battery and just the bay lights on. It was an experiment but seems to do the job. KayLArGO was the name of our boat. It is Kaye and Larry Go!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:58 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can anyone tell me where this blower is in the basement...and how to turn it on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look for a foil covered hose and follow it back. It turns on with the in house fan providing it is armed with the basement heat switch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank-you sir.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote