Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #155

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
I’m pretty sure the “Do not lock screen” will not put the screen to sleep.

To display the overhead projector, the easiest way its to have an Apple TV installed on one of the inputs and then mirror the iPhone/iPad screen to your Apple TV. You will probably need a 3 or 4 way HDMI splitter to accommodate all your devices in the cabinet.

I believe you can only connect to one device. The settings are highly customizable. I’m very impressed.
I believe you're correct about the "Do not lock screen" setting when you're connected to the adapter. I was tired of my screen timing-out when I was taking breaks laying out dash's so I just set it in the iPad settings.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I believe you're correct about the "Do not lock screen" setting when you're connected to the adapter. I was tired of my screen timing-out when I was taking breaks laying out dash's so I just set it in the iPad settings.

I just tested it and the phone does stay up and running. I had an issue though w connectivity with the Low Power mode on the iPhone. It wouldn’t stay connected.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #157

Bluefire, Will this work? What to order?

'99 Fleetwood Discovery 37V
Freightliner XC Chassis (6 pin connector)
&
iPad 2

What to order? (Earlier posts seem to indicate that the Bluetooth won't work with an iPad2.) The software loads and runs on the iPad, but concerned about Bluetooth connectivity given the earlier post.

Thanks!
RVPastorKevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPastorKevi View Post
'99 Fleetwood Discovery 37V

Freightliner XC Chassis (6 pin connector)

&

iPad 2

What to order? (Earlier posts seem to indicate that the Bluetooth won't work with an iPad2.) The software loads and runs on the iPad, but concerned about Bluetooth connectivity given the earlier post.

Thanks!

Just order the unit that’s iOS compatible. There are two models.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:52 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdivers View Post
I completed my installation of the Pioneer double din deck with a 7" 16:9 screen. This is a one inch increase over the Xite I took out. The installation was fairly simple, color codes of all but one wire were the same as the Xite harness which by the way was clearly marked (R speaker +, memory power, accessory etc).

I used the Xite to display video from my 10" Windows 10 tablet that runs VMSpc. The tablet outputs HDMI and the Xite had analog video inputs so I used an HDMI to analog converter. The Pioneer has an HDMI input so I thought I could connect the tablet directly. The problem with that theory was when using the HDMI input on the Pioneer it cut all audio so I couldn't play the stereo XM etc. I then connected my old HDMI to analog converter to the rear camera input which worked fine when selecting camera mode on the touch screen interface although another problem surfaced, Pioneer puts a warning across the top that the image may be reversed. The warning wasn't bad just annoying. After some research this problem was solved by using the rear gear selector input on the pioneer. Originally I had connected this input to the output of the coach which is always showing ground. By applying +12 volts on the Pioneer input via a switch it shows VMSpc without the warning. This turns out to be a better solution because its only one push to display the VMSpc and another push to return where ever you were.

The next problem I encountered was the rear output. On the Xite head "house mode" plays whatever source (XM) on a Bose sound bar below the outside TV. I had tapped into the Bose and split the audio which feeds a FM transmitter. By leaving the Xite in "house mode" feeding the transmitter I was able to get XM radio in my shop. The Pioneer has a rear output which I ran to the Bose/transmitter but I wasn't able to get XM. I was using "Mirror mode" which I thought would mirror what was playing up front. Contacting Pioneer revealed that they did not program the unit to pass XM, only DVDS, AUX, Pandora, and bluetooth. After trying many different ideas, I was able to hack into the audio output of the XM SXV300 tuner and connect that to the Bose/Transmitter. It was a pretty simple hack and works great, the audio goes to the Pioneer and Bose/transmitter, the Pioneer supplies power and controls the stations.

As far as sound I am extremely happy with the improved audio from the Pioneer. This head has many audio adjustments and outputs audio far superior to the Xite. I can even play FLAC files which are uncompressed audio, the Xite only plays WAV or MP3. You can hear the navigation commands over the radio, something I had difficulty doing with the XITE.

Now for GPS. The Pioneer uses NAVI maps, the same as used by Garmin and this unit is supposed to have special routing by vehicle type. I could not find a "motorhome" vehicle type but there is "bus" and "truck" as well as "car". The manual says it will not route "trucks" on unauthorized highways, will not suggest U turns etc, however all that remains to be seen. Dutch Star Don raised the question of GPS antenna connections. They were not the same (go figure) so I tried the supplied Pioneer antenna in many different locations on the dash, under the dash, under the hood, in the upper cabinet and recorded the GPS and GLONASS signal levels. Not wanting to have the antenna mounted visibly on the dash I cut the cable ends from the roof GPS antenna and off the Pioneer antenna and swapped them. To make the connection I used an SMA male and female connector which I carefully soldered. The result was a success and the signal levels recorded with the spliced connection are better than anywhere I tried the Pioneer antenna.

Lastly Android Auto (or Apple Car Play if you are inclined). The Pioneer has wireless Android auto. Wireless does not work on my Samsung S7 and research reveals this is still kind of iffy. Wired Android Auto works great! In this mode I have voice activation of Google maps, WAZE, phone, text and music. I also added a dash mount combination USB/HDMI input connected to the Pioneer to connect my phone for Android Auto. The HDMI input will allow my co-pilot wife to display her laptop maps on the Pioneer and really confuse me. I now have built in GPS, Google, WAZE, and the DW for nav sources.

Finally I added a power switch. Newmar leaves power on to the unit continuously and I could hear the cooling fans running. This allows me to power off the head when parked. Overall I am extremely happy with this unit, hopefully I won't be routed down anymore "ah oh" roads. Thanks to Redbaron73 for starting the thread and getting me moving.

Nice work. If only VMSPC wasn’t as clunky and needing a PC/tablet to get the data you need displayed!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #160

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdivers View Post
...Now for GPS. The Pioneer uses NAVI maps, the same as used by Garmin and this unit is supposed to have special routing by vehicle type. I could not find a "motorhome" vehicle type but there is "bus" and "truck" as well as "car". The manual says it will not route "trucks" on unauthorized highways, will not suggest U turns etc, however all that remains to be seen.
The bus, car etc. are just presets that come with the unit. You can add your rename/reconfigure any of the ones that you see. It's just profile such as height, width, weight, axles, etc. Off topic for this thread but the short story is you can configure it, add profiles, etc. There are a lot of settings to find and configure, great system. 1st map update is free (naviextras.com) and then I buy an update annually. Pair to the smartphone app for more features and traffic, rerouting, etc.

Edit: For anyone pursuing the Pioneer compare the 8201 to the 8400, I prefer the 8201 for the voice guidance and other audible features. Compare on the Pioneer web site. I have the 8201.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #161

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cti2000 View Post
I downloaded the app and made a dash on my iPad. Kinda a PIA to get things worked out. Here is my dash.
@cti2000

I like your dash layout, it's clean and easy to read. Could you share your dash file. I'd be using it on a 9.7" Samsung Android tablet.

Thanks
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #162

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop69GS View Post
@cti2000

I like your dash layout, it's clean and easy to read. Could you share your dash file. I'd be using it on a 9.7" Samsung Android tablet.

Thanks
Send him a PM with your email address and he can send the file to you from within the app.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #163

Quote:
Send him a PM with your email address and he can send the file to you from within the app.
Can the IOS file be used on a win 10 or Android platform? Here is a layout I've been working on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new dash.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	232454
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_123154.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	232446  
Old 01-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #164

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Can the IOS file be used on a win 10 or Android platform? Here is a layout I've been working on.
I know it can on a Win 10 table and I assume it will to an Android but I don't have one. However it will probably require some tweaking. To be on the safe side go to Customize Dash and enable Scroll the Dash Page. Once imported if nothing has spilled over to the second screen you can uncheck the Scroll.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #165

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I know it can on a Win 10 table and I assume it will to an Android but I don't have one. However it will probably require some tweaking. To be on the safe side go to Customize Dash and enable Scroll the Dash Page. Once imported if nothing has spilled over to the second screen you can uncheck the Scroll.
I think that is good advice. When sharing to always check the scroll button. Thanks BobGed!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #166

Quote:

Attachment 232454

That looks great! I like your center cluster and where you stashed the Cruise ON. Gives me a good idea to maybe do the same for the Gear; in the Tach.

Can you send me (PM) your file? I’ll try it in my Mini and Pro ipads.

TIA
Old 01-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
That looks great! I like your center cluster and where you stashed the Cruise ON. Gives me a good idea to maybe do the same for the Gear; in the Tach.

Can you send me (PM) your file? I’ll try it in my Mini and Pro ipads.

TIA
I'd be happy to send the file IF I could figure out where it's hidden. I have the BF demo on my PC running Win 10, and it only allows for limited functionality. When I find the file I'll let you know.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #168

VMSPC replacement option

Quote:
I'd be happy to send the file IF I could figure out where it's hidden. I have the BF demo on my PC running Win 10, and it only allows for limited functionality. When I find the file I'll let you know.

No problem. What you have to do is in the settings you have to look for the share dash button and when you push it, it’ll ask for an email address. Ifyou leave it blank, it’ll automatically send the file to your own email address that you have entered in the Email section in the settings above.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement