Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #211

Using BlueFire on ISC 350

I have used VMSpc for years on my 2000 Monaco Dynasty 36 with Cummins ISC 350. Although I have been reasonably happy with it, it has always seemed that the ISC engines were the "red-headed stepchild" of the VMS-connectible engines. The display often locks up and the application has to be closed and re-started for it to resume working.

The VMS website reported that VMS had "difficulty parsing the data from the EMS of ISC engines." Also, Banks Power stopped supplying performance kits for these engines years ago, stating that their "interface supplier no longer supported" the ISC engine series. I can understand that certain engines, especially early electronically controlled fuel injection ones, might present some difficulties, and present limited sales opportunities. But I always thought the response from VMS was somewhat cavalier. After all, the CUMMINS computer certainly had no issues controlling the engine with its available inputs...so why could any technically-competent manufacturer not be able to overcome its interface issues? Yes, I realize that the manufacturer had to concentrate on the larger market that later engines represented. Still, how difficult could it be to overcome the "parsing" issue?

So, my question for BlueFire is this--will this system function reliably on an ISC-350 (2000 vintage) engine? If it will, I will order one promptly...and whatever display is required to insure it works properly. Price is not the primary issue here...but performance and reliability are. If BlueFire also has "issues" with this engine series, I may as well stick with what I have.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #212

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop69GS View Post
I posed this question on Bluefire's forum but thought I may get an answer quicker here.

What parameters does this gauge monitor? Is there a way to customize what sets off an alert?
Re: Engine Status gauge

It reports any faults thrown by the ECM. When it's green all is well. If it should turn red that means a fault has been recorded. As long as your gauge is locked, you can single tap it and it will take you to the Fault page.

There is a request pending with Mark at BlueFire for the possibility to have a single tap when green take you to another page such as Repair or Drive.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop69GS View Post
I posed this question on Bluefire's forum but thought I may get an answer quicker here.

What parameters does this gauge monitor? Is there a way to customize what sets off an alert?

Are you referring to gauge’s yellow, and red zone? If so, then yes you can, in the settings for that gauge. They are the Good, Warning 1&2, And Danger 1&2 Values. Then check the Show Danger and/or Warning Alert boxes.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #214

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Are you referring to gauge’s yellow, and red zone? If so, then yes you can, in the settings for that gauge. They are the Good, Warning 1&2, And Danger 1&2 Values. Then check the Show Danger and/or Warning Alert boxes.
I believe he was asking specifically about the Engine Status text gauge. However it was a little confusing as that info was in the title of his message which does not get copied when the body of the message is quoted.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #215

My RCA tablet running VMSpc is starting to wig out on me with lines running thru the screen and the screen flashing..Today, it's all right as rain but I doubt it's been healed so......

In hopes of an Ipad future, I downloaded the BLUEFIRE software to see what the fuss was about. I don't find the round gauges something that lends to a quick visual sweep of the screen to see what's going on. I was happy to see I could use the "old" box gauges with numbers. Personal preference. However, I am very disappointed to not find; engine load, horse power, engine torque, coolant water level, and instant and running MPG(most important to me) I can see these in a screen under the DRIVE icon but this is not a place I want to monitor those parameters. AM I missing something?
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #216

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbikes1 View Post
My RCA tablet running VMSpc is starting to wig out on me with lines running thru the screen and the screen flashing..Today, it's all right as rain but I doubt it's been healed so......

In hopes of an Ipad future, I downloaded the BLUEFIRE software to see what the fuss was about. I don't find the round gauges something that lends to a quick visual sweep of the screen to see what's going on. I was happy to see I could use the "old" box gauges with numbers. Personal preference. However, I am very disappointed to not find; engine load, horse power, engine torque, coolant water level, and instant and running MPG(most important to me) I can see these in a screen under the DRIVE icon but this is not a place I want to monitor those parameters. AM I missing something?
No you're not missing anything.....for now. There have been suggested modifications/additions made in this thread and other places. The developer is in Quartzsite for the rest of this week, and I'm willing to bet he will be coming home with many requested features.

Stay tuned!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #217

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I believe he was asking specifically about the Engine Status text gauge. However it was a little confusing as that info was in the title of his message which does not get copied when the body of the message is quoted.
Yes, I just wanted to know what it monitors and if all faults or just critical faults and can I set what faults I deem to be critical.
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Download the app, it has a demo mode and is free. You can add all the same elements. It truly is a replacement.

As a bonus, the app is open source and can be easily enhanced.

I still don't the following guages;REAL MPG
RECENT MPG
RETARDER
TORQUE
TORQUEPCT
HORSEPOWER
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #219

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Well I’ll buy anything that will get me 296mpg!

Greedy.........I’d settle for 11 MPG[emoji4]
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #220

VMSPC replacement option

Just to be clear, I believe that different information is available at the connector on different coaches. Not sure how you know what information you have available!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #221
Commercial Member

Commercial Member

FYI, Tomorrow (Thursday) is our last day at Quartzsite so we will not be at our booth Friday through the weekend. Ski Patrol this weekend then finishing the next release and getting back to the forums.

www.bluefire-llc.com
Mark F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #222

This is great

I received my module from Amazon yesterday and installed it today, I have also installed the app on a 7 inch (fire tablet) and a 10 inch tablet (Asus) and cant decide which format will work the best for me.

Anyone want to buy a barely used VMSPC?

This is the greatest thing since sliced bread
Bobschle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #223

Freightliner Owners Club
Mark, thank you for taking the time to talk to us, (Alfa Roadrunners). Everyone that received a unit, has it up and running. Android, Apple and Windows 10.
The sniffer, what is the best way to use it, to determine record the data parameters on the data buss?

Since different engines (6 Vs 9 pin) have different amount of data parameters? The Alfa's came with CAT (6 pin and 9 pin), Cummins (9 pin), and MB (9 pin).

Like the trick you showed me on a Android device with the Dash setup. Clicking on the "TRIP" on the dash gauge, where it directed the screen to the "TRIP" report. How was that done?

Safe Travels especially on the Slopes
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #224

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Mark, thank you for taking the time to talk to us, (Alfa Roadrunners). Everyone that received a unit, has it up and running. Android, Apple and Windows 10.
The sniffer, what is the best way to use it, to determine record the data parameters on the data buss?

Since different engines (6 Vs 9 pin) have different amount of data parameters? The Alfa's came with CAT (6 pin and 9 pin), Cummins (9 pin), and MB (9 pin).

Like the trick you showed me on a Android device with the Dash setup. Clicking on the "TRIP" on the dash gauge, where it directed the screen to the "TRIP" report. How was that done?

Safe Travels especially on the Slopes
I can't help you with your first question, but regarding your second one. Make sure the Trip Distance gauge is locked. Then when you single tap on it it will bring up the Trip screen.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement