RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Came View Post
The j1939 on my coach (2015 Ventana 4369) is on the firewall at the rear of the coach. For those that have purchased the Bluefire. Is your connector also at the rear of the coach, and is the bluetooth reception / operation reliable if you have a ipad / tablet at the front of the coach? (i.e 40 + feet away)
There should be another to the left of the steering wheel in the corner.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Came View Post
The j1939 on my coach (2015 Ventana 4369) is on the firewall at the rear of the coach. For those that have purchased the Bluefire. Is your connector also at the rear of the coach, and is the bluetooth reception / operation reliable if you have a ipad / tablet at the front of the coach? (i.e 40 + feet away)
It looks like you're on a Freightliner chassis, and if that's the case you should definitely have a J1939 plug under your dash. Sometimes they can be difficult to find. Mine sure was. I had to remove the dash gauges module at the top of the dash to dig through the maze of wires and route the connector underneath the dash. It was not a fun project thanks to Tiffin.

I would suggest calling 1-800-FTL-HELP with your VIN to make sure you have one, and then start digging.

BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I previously posted a screenshot of a dash layout I did on my iPad Gen 3 (post 32). I emailed that layout to redbaron73 to see how the export/import feature works. He wasn't able to import it to his Android device or iPad (something to do with updates), however he was able to import it to his Win 10 device.

I also emailed it to myself and imported it to my 10" Win 10 tablet. It worked however the screen size configurations are slightly different so I had to do some rearranging and resizing.

I am attaching a screenshot of the Win 10 dash layout for a 10" tablet (this one is populated with demo data). If anyone else would like to experiment with either one or both of these layouts, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the file/files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Win 10 Dial Gauge Layout.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	231610  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I previously posted a screenshot of a dash layout I did on my iPad Gen 3 (post 32). I emailed that layout to redbaron73 to see how the export/import feature works. He wasn't able to import it to his Android device or iPad (something to do with updates), however he was able to import it to his Win 10 device.

I also emailed it to myself and imported it to my 10" Win 10 tablet. It worked however the screen size configurations are slightly different so I had to do some rearranging and resizing.

I am attaching a screenshot of the Win 10 dash layout for a 10" tablet (this one is populated with demo data). If anyone else would like to experiment with either one or both of these layouts, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the file/files.
I am making progress with getting it to load on the android. The screen size has a lot to do with it. Once I figure out the tricks, I will post back

Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #47

Spartan Chassis
I’m sure most of you guys already know, but just in case...

I was looking at the VMSpc site and found the “Gallery of Installations” which gave me a good idea of a lot of possibilities of configurations.

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/?q=node/5676

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could come up with a type of “scrolling” readout such as what Tiffin has done on the new models. It can be REALLY busy, though, if over done. But, certain read outs would be good to have scrolling through different values.
CaptainGizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I am making progress with getting it to load on the android. The screen size has a lot to do with it. Once I figure out the tricks, I will post back
In the Customize Dash section I just happened to notice a selection called Scroll the Dash Page. I wonder if by checking that box it would allow the importation of layouts developed using a larger screen into devices with smaller screens?

I'm sure it would still entail resizing, but at least they might import okay.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #49

I just ordered mine right now. I'm excited to see how this works, I've been wanting to buy the silverleaf software for a while but have hesitated because of the high cost. The code Amazon at checkout does give you a 10% discount which is nice. I paid for 3-day shipping so I should have it Wednesday of next week and I will download the software onto my 10 inch Windows 10 tablet and see how it all works. I am by no means a software engineer or even a computer wizard. I can do most of the typical stuff that needs to be done but I'm not real good when it comes to high-end stuff. So I will update this coming from the common man's perspective I let you know how it works.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
I’m sure most of you guys already know, but just in case...

I was looking at the VMSpc site and found the “Gallery of Installations” which gave me a good idea of a lot of possibilities of configurations.

VMSpc Gallery of Installations | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could come up with a type of “scrolling” readout such as what Tiffin has done on the new models. It can be REALLY busy, though, if over done. But, certain read outs would be good to have scrolling through different values.
That's a good suggestion about referring to Silverleaf's site for layout ideas.

Regarding a scrolling dash layout, per my previous post there is a selection to activate that, but I haven't tried it to see if it actually works.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BobJed

Thanks for the heads up on the J1939 under the dash. Just crawled under the dash and found the connector actually mounted to a bracket just above the steering wheel tilt pedal.
Someday Came is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
In the Customize Dash section I just happened to notice a selection called Scroll the Dash Page. I wonder if by checking that box it would allow the importation of layouts developed using a larger screen into devices with smaller screens?

I'm sure it would still entail resizing, but at least they might import okay.
I bet you are right..I will try that with the dash you sent me.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #53

My adapter should be here in a couple days. I'd like to get it set up for the short hop to Tampa for the show and give it a whirl.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
My adapter should be here in a couple days. I'd like to get it set up for the short hop to Tampa for the show and give it a whirl.
Please report back after your trip. In addition to hearing how the dash gauge screen performs, it would be interesting to hear about the other functions, particularly the Trip and Drive options.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Please report back after your trip. In addition to hearing how the dash gauge screen performs, it would be interesting to hear about the other functions, particularly the Trip and Drive options.
Will do, although I will have to do a little hands on with it before the trip to understand use of the functions. I'll be with the NKK at Tampa if anyone there wants to check it out. I just hope it works reliably after buying the adaptor.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #56

Spartan Chassis
VMSPC replacement option

Quote:
That's a good suggestion about referring to Silverleaf's site for layout ideas.

Regarding a scrolling dash layout, per my previous post there is a selection to activate that, but I haven't tried it to see if it actually works.

Worked perfect, BobGed! I was able to import your dash into BOTH iPads; the Mini and the Pro. The Scroll feature had no relevance. What I kept forgetting, was to tap the IMPORT button after using BROWSE to locate the file.

One time, the Mini layout was a mess, but I reimporting and all is well. I was also able to SAVE the layout and re-select it.

I notice that the Default gauge size is 66.6% on both iPads...interesting. It appears as though the Import function will resize appropriately; good stuff.

Thanks again!!

CaptainGizmo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement