Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #1

Question for the collective wisdom.
Last year in several parks we were at we had problems with low power causing us to loose power to the ac a couple of times. I have seen two solutions which may help, neither cheap one significantly more expensive. The first is to use something like a voltage booster (transformer) like this http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...nsformer/72455. Our something more sophisticated like the new Magnum hybrid inverter/chargers which trap your battery bank to help make up the lost voltage, like http://www.magnumenergy.com/Products/MSH-Mseries.htm.

I am not in a position to purchase either of these solutions at this point but I would love too get your opinions or if you have them observations.

Thanks Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
For that application, the Autoformer is what you want. The hybrid inverter is for situations where you need additional amperage under peak (transient) load conditions, not for dealing with a low line voltage situation. The hybrid inverter might be used when you're temporarily on a 20amp source, but your normal (inverter) loads need 30 amps. Like using the microwave and coffee pot at the same time.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #3

Thanks flyingd,
The way I read the literature on the hybrid inverter would make up shortages of on site power, but I see what you are saying. The way I was reading it the hybrid inverter would compensate power but you are correct in that it is only an amperage shortfall and not a voltage drop. Thanks
Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Autoformer works. HOWEVER there is a trade off. (Will cover that) in fact it works so well some parks prohibit them.. (Which is why I never set one on the ground next to the pedistal..... It is hidden inside the coach).

What you burn in the motor home is Volt-Amps (You thoght it was watts? Well it's Volt-Amps, however either one works for this discussion)

Volts times Amps = volt amps (Volt amps times power factor = watts). so if you are pulling say 25 amps without boost, and the voltage drops so the boost kicks in say 10 percent, you are now drawing 27.5 amps from the pedestal.. And that will trip a 30 amp breaker given time.

Plus the transformers are not 100 percent efficient (only thing electrical that is is a resistance heater) so it might be 28 amps (less time to CLICK).

That said. I remember backing into a site my wife was trying to talk me out of (only decent site in the park not already occupied) She is whining that the woman plugged into the shared power box says her voltmeter is in the red... Ok, Well mine was in the green,, The Autoformer saw to it.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi spin,
I've been using Voltage Regulator | Technology Research Corporation for many years. It works as advertised. I would make the same purchase again.

At full 10% boost, the unit uses only 1 AMP of the 50 AMPS one purchases with the site. However, like previously posted, I do not make the device known by placing it outside. The unit remains in my electrical bay. Too many CG managers don't get the previous statement.

If the CG you are registering at has a sign warning any customer caught using a voltage regulator will be evicted, you know you are in trouble. Way too many CGs are underpowered.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have used the VC-50 PowerMaster Voltage Controller for the past 4 years now without any difficulties except in parks that have very high voltage for their "normal". When that occurs I simply bypass the VC-50. The new units are now built with a bypass circuit such that if the incoming voltage is 125 VAC or higher the VC-50 goes in to Bypass Mode.

There have been multiple times and places where I have maintained all power while at the same time my neighbor who has the same Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C unit that monitors power was shut down due to Low Voltage at the park. My neighbors always ask why and I show them but most people hedge at the cost.

I didn't and very glad that I have it. I now wished that I owned a new version but for over $600 I can easily bypass the VC-50 when needed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I use a 50amp Autoformer.

The Autoformer, the TRC Voltage Regulator, and the Power Mater VC50 are all similar (but not exact). They'll all get the job done. The trade off for a few less amps is well worth the higher voltage; especially if you're running a residential refrigerator.

I also run a Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C.

Now I am covered for low voltage (with or without the Autoformer), high voltage, and just plain wrong wired boxes.

btw.... the Autoformer was invaluable in Eastern Canada Maritimes this past summer as most places had questionable 30amps at best.

You can save a few dollars and get a 30amp unit. The logic behind that is you likely encounter a lot of places with bad/low 30 amp hookups but no so many with bad/low 50amp.

Check out Craigslist. That's where I found mine and a=saved a few hundred bucks.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #8

Thanks everyone, great advice