Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2005, 04:11 AM   #1

dear Ed,i was told you have had some problems with the suspension.If so what were they and how were they corected.i am new to this site so i will leave my email incase you need it. thank you Jerry Logan.jerry7up@yahoo.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2005, 04:11 AM   #2

dear Ed,i was told you have had some problems with the suspension.If so what were they and how were they corected.i am new to this site so i will leave my email incase you need it. thank you Jerry Logan.jerry7up@yahoo.com

Old 03-05-2005, 09:16 PM   #3

jerry7up, what I did to improve the handling on my W-22 Workhorse Chassis, was I installed Bilstein shocks on all four corners, had a front and rear sway bar installed, and also installed a Saf-T-Plus steering stablizer, the coach improved dramatically in all aspects of handling and control.
I have not had enough time to evaluate what or if any modifications might be needed on the W-24 chassis. Ed
Old 03-06-2005, 04:24 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jerry7up: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>jerry7up, I just wanted to add that in my experience, the W-24 does not have any chassis problems. Running down the road with a large cross section on a 38 or 39 foot coach you might see some buffeting from high speed coaches and trucks but I didn't notice any problems on the 36 foot Dolphin LX I drove.

Workorse got the W-24's suspension dialed in perfectly.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:24 PM   #5

Dear Ed,in your opinion how is the W24 different from the W22? (besides capacity).I own a 2004 Scottsdale 3456 by Newmar which had a bouncing or porpousing problem that was so bad it threw my wife from the front seat on to the dashboard at 35 mph,on a newly paved road.Newmar installed h.d. Monroe shocks which at first seemed to control the bouncing but it rides so hard the we are getting cracking and loosening of the coach,and a sore back. A recent trip down rt.79 we realized the bouncing still exists.Newmar says it is a workhorse problem and workhorse says it is because the rear axle is to far forward I would like to see what you or anyone else in this group thinks.THANKS JERRY LOGAN
Old 03-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #6

Jerry, that I did to improve the quality of ride on the W-22 Workhorse Chassis resolved all my issues with the Workhorse Chassis. Ed
Old 03-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #7

Jerry, I have a 03 MACA 38' and have the HD Monroes as a replacement. I have had no problems since. None of the problems that you are incurring.
Al
Old 03-08-2005, 02:43 PM   #8

I have been told by Workhorse that the problem is caused by the rear axle being to far forward,and the coach is teetering on the rear axle.That makes sense to everyone but Newmar, they are in denial.Newmar stretched a 208" chassis to 216" and built a 35' 0" house on it.That is the shortest wheelbase to length ratio on the market of 35' coaches.Check out bbary's it is 37' 4" on a 228" wheelbase.I would welcome any comments,oh by the way nice coach Al Currie
Old 03-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
jerry, Welcome to irv2 if no one else has. I anothers have been trying to help bbarry with his problem as we will yours. Have you had your coach weight an adjusted your load to your axle weights? You have 14,500# rear an 8,000# for your front axle. We don't know what size tires or the make of your tires. You should have a tire inflation table for the type of tires you have. These tables can be downloaded from tire Mfg. sites. I had a 98 NEWMAR chassis that was stretched 2ft on a Ford chassis with a 37'10" coach an long overhang. If most of your load is in the rear of your coach your front end will bounce as you discribed no matter what type shocks you have. I had a bounce like you had an my wife was lifted out of her seat as well, an I had to grip steering wheel to keep control of MH. We both had on safety belts. I installed 4 Blistiens on my coach myself, like alot of others have, because we didn't want the hassle with dealers. I got my coach weight at a CAT scale truck stop $8. Found out that my load was unbalance to the rear of coach. My tires were over inflated by 15#'s using Newmars inflation. After adjusting Michlin tires to their inflation table I had a completely different riding coach. Most of my heavy items were moved up to front axle,I have 8,500# axle, an I was under limits on both axles a big plus. The shocks need to have weight applied to them, within your axle limit, in order to funtion properly. I hope this helps you, bbarry has this same information an understands what has to be done.-----"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:03 AM   #10

Thanks 007,its great to be here.I agree with all of your comments and have tried them all,except the bilstiens because workhorse says they won't make a difference.they are willing to put them on as a "good will adjustment",but not a repair attemp.I had origonal shocks replaced with Monroe magnums by Newmar (front) Workhorse (rear). Should i try them?
Old 03-09-2005, 05:28 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Monroe's will be fine, whats more important now is getting your proper tire inflations an load balance to front axle to improve your ride. When its time to change again, if you still have this MH, I would concider the BLISTIENS.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:59 AM   #12

Jerry,
My last MH was a 2002 Dutch Star (now named Scottsdale) 3456 on a W22 chassis with stock shocks. I had read all the complaints about porpoising, bouncing, etc. on the W22 chassis. My MH never had this problem. I kept waiting for it to surface so I could have the upgraded shocks installed, but it never did. I realize this doesn't help your problem, but thought I would let you know that my identical setup didn't have this problem. Could there be something else besides the shocks causing the bouncing?

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:09 AM   #13

Thanks for the reply Busters.That is exactly the point that workhorse has made, its not the shocks its that the rear axle is to far forward and causing teetering.Workhorse says they are not responsible because Newmar stretched the frame.But Newmar says they still will honor they're warranty which does absolutely nothing for our problem.We are between a "rock and a hard place"(no pund intended).You must not of liked the ride of your old coach if you spent the extra money on a diesel,right?
Old 03-09-2005, 06:22 PM   #14

For what's is worth, I have found that if I load anything heavy in the rear most bins that are well behind the rear axle, it greatly impacts the handling and overall comfort in a negative manner.

After weighing a few time, I started putting as many heavy items as I could forward since I had spare capacity on the front axle. My theory is that heavy items well behind the rear axle act as a lever and unload the front axle which adds to the porpoising effect as well as impacting handling.

With more stuff forward, the coach drives better. So stuff like my 50A shore power cord and 50A extension cable are now placed under the main slide instead of behind the rear axle. Every little bits counts and for $8 at a CAT Scales, its great to know I am within my limits.

My next modification may be to isolate my two fresh water tanks. My coach bulder uses two tanks to achieve 75 gallon capacity. One sits right on top of the rear axle and the second sits behind it in the overhang past the axle. They are interconnected so water flows freely between them. I never travel with full water so I am thinking if I put valves on the rear tank, I can run it dry and put all my water in the forward tank which is directly over the axle. But that's a project for another day...