Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

Wallpaper border removal

2007 Dutch Star 4307 with ugly and worn wallpaper border in bathrooms. Any thoughts on how to remove the border without damaging the wallpaper underneath? Long ago I stumbled on a video for this but can't find it now that I'm ready to do the work.
testwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we removed wallpaper or border in the house, we used to just wet it with a spray mister and let it set for a while and then try to gently peel it away by hand or with a scraper. The idea is to get the water onto the inner layers of the paper where the adhesive is. The technique would work great on painted drywall, and though you clearly don't have drywall in your coach, it might still work. I'm not sure how it will work if there is wallpaper beneath the border that you want to save. Sounds like a delicate job.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #3

The misting will not work on the "vinyl" border in an RV. The wallcovering under is also vinyl. Use a hairdryer to heat it up, catch an edge and peel it off, slowly as you heat ahead of you. The adhesive will still be on the wall. You can use Adhesive/Glue Remover from the hardware store to get that off. Or like I did, used paint thinner and paper towel to remove it. Then wash the wall with Dawn dish detergent to get rid of the residue.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

Did you try a hidden corner? Ours just peels off. It leaves a residue that seems to come off with goof off. Although the directions say to use it with ventilation. I just tried a spot. I haven’t committed to pull it all off yet.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #5

I was able to take some off using an iron that I hovered over the strip. But I have not been able to get off the glue residue. I will try the suggestions of paint thinner and Goof Off.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #6

Please update how it goes. I have been toying with this idea as well. What do you plan to do once its off?
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:29 AM   #7

Not sure what you are planning after removal but a similar attempt w less than desired results...

I took border off at home but found it didn't help as the paper under the border was about 3 shades lighter & brighter than the bulk of the paper. Ended up removing everything and painting.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Not sure what you are planning after removal but a similar attempt w less than desired results...

I took border off at home but found it didn't help as the paper under the border was about 3 shades lighter & brighter than the bulk of the paper. Ended up removing everything and painting.
Home paper is a bit different than vinyl. The border I removed to test wasn't any different color. Also the MH had a framed picture that came with it and was near the door in the front of the coach and after 13 years there wasn't evidence that it was there except for the holes from the bracket.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post

I see a lot of people remove the border only to flatten the wall and paint or tile (not ceramic). Did you consider painting over the wallpaper?
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I see a lot of people remove the border only to flatten the wall and paint or tile (not ceramic). Did you consider painting over the wallpaper?
Going with they said Home wallpaper Im going to assume it was in a house. Painting over wallpaper can affect resale in a house. I did that in a bathroom and ended up having to tear off the wallpaper which took off a layer of drywall paper and either had to have the drywall replaced or pay someone to come in and skim coat the whole thing. Skim coating was cheaper but still an expense.

In a MH you cant remove the vinyl cause that is what is holding the walls together. In mine its stuck to luan.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #11

The vinyl wallcovering used in RV's is a self-stick vinyl. If it's been on there for any amount of time it ain't comin off easy. But, it doesn't have to. In my case I recovered with the same animal. There were several spots where they had pieced in some strips that had to come off. There are some people that painted over theirs. That's OK to do as long as you use a good "Acrylic" latex paint. It holds(sticks) better to the vinyl. If you are creative and talented, you can do decorative painting that will look other than a plain solid color.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal