Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Am now battening down the hatches.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohurry View Post
Yes, seems inevitable. Unfortunately, Walmart’s generosity is being abused. As far as I know, at this time, it’s left up to the local management, or sometimes city ordinances. If I were in charge of their stores, I would implement a limit of 3 nights stay. No exceptions. Those who stay long term aren’t RVing, they’re basically homeless (a whole different matter), and the ones that say they store an RV there? Wow.
"3 night stay"??? I respectfully disagree if I was making the rules it would be just one night.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Path of least resistance logic will end up prevailing. Walmart is not in the business of managing/policing parking rules. It is much easier and less expensive to simply ban all overnight parking and remove the extra work on the manager and store employees.

Unfortunately it seems like the west coast is out of control with RV parking anyplace for any length of time. Recent court case in Oregon, judge ruled that the MH on blocks with no engine could not be moved by the city since it was a 'home'.

I'd enjoy reading any additional information you have on this case. A decision like this doesn't surprise me at all.

Is the RV on a legally defined parcel zoned for residential use? Were permits obtained and codes followed? Has the home been assessed and is the owner now paying property tax? How are they handling disposal of sewage?

Just curious and wondering if not following the rules is the way to go.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #18

Not sure how many Walmarts have Security patrols, but my local one does. And if you pay attention to my area's Police Scanner FB group and see how many times peoples cars get broken into in that parking lot, Security isn't doing all that much.

So since they have time not doing anything, Walmart could task them with issuing passes for the night and enforcing any length of stay policy. A simple piece of paper taped to the front of the RV with a date in Sharpie.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #19

It one of those hate to see it things, but I lean towards thinking most Walmart’s should ban overnight parking in their lots. It really is getting to the point of ridiculous how many you see getting way out of control with it.

Unfortunately, when looking at the big picture, I think boondocking is also something that will soon become extinct. More and more I’m seeing closures of areas to dispersed camping, and it is becoming a big issue at the land management meetings I’ve attended in the last few years. People dumping their tanks on the ground, leaving tons of trash, and setting up long term garbage heap looking long term camps are getting a lot of attention in a way that isn’t good.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
So you're telling me that you spent a gazillion bucks on your huge RV and you simply can't afford to pay for a CG spot overnight?
It is not about the cost. Try to find a vacant campsite for a big rig on a Friday night in summer. Very often it can't be done, all the campgrounds are booked. Or it is late and they don't answer their phone. Or if there is one, it is 30 miles off the highway which means a 60 mile round trip to find parking for 8-10 hours. Walmart's generous policy means there is a place to fall back on when this happens.

But a guest should behave with respect towards their benefactor. Walmart is running a business, and no business is advanced by having semi-permanent vagrants in its parking lot. One of these days they may decide "enough", and boot everybody out of their parking lots overnight.

I comply with the one night only rule: mine, not Walmart's. I apply this to myself out of a sense of responsibility and good citizenship. Unfortunately many people have no use for these concepts.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #21

I am in the camp that would like to see overnight parking banned at all Walmarts. I see only RV's that look ready for the scrap heap at my Walmart. They're an eyesore.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #22

So those of you who want one night parking enforced. How are you going to enforce it? Who is going to move the "resistors?
What are the property owners supposed to do?
Old 08-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I am in the camp that would like to see overnight parking banned at all Walmarts. I see only RV's that look ready for the scrap heap at my Walmart. They're an eyesore.

I deliver new RVs all over the country. I am only allowed to drive for 11 hours at a time then have to stop for 10 hours, I also sleep in my truck and never enter a new camper. Being able to use an App like ONP Walmart to find a place to get off the road and get drinks and snacks at a reasonable price is a real benefit.
At one WalMart I already had purchases in hand when I asked the manager for permission to park overnight. He noted I had bought stuff and thanked me for shopping at WalMart then told me which area he preferred I use for parking.
I'd hate to see all overnight parking at WalMarts banned across the board.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #24

Ditto on MRUSA14 comments. When we take a long weekend, we'll stop at Walmart on a Thursday evening, next morning up early go in the store and stock up, we'll probably spend couple hundred dollars for the weekend on food and supplies. We try and leave by 10am and of course checking around our spot, cleaning up anything found from others, DW even takes carts to the corral that were left way out where we parked by others
Old 08-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #25

RVPioneer the RV was parked on the street. On blocks, no engine. Hadn't been moved and I think there was a general 72 hour parking limit on the street. City wanted to tow it. Lost court case in the local court.

Here's an article from Seattle. I couldn't find the one with the RV, had a photo of the coach, but same type of situation. https://www.seattlepi.com/g00/homele...8%3D&i10c.ua=4
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Here's an article from Seattle. I couldn't find the one with the RV, had a photo of the coach, but same type of situation. https://www.seattlepi.com/g00/homele...8%3D&i10c.ua=4
Nothing in Seattle surprises me anymore.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 08-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #27

There are 3 kinds of people involved -

1) folks with good manners who use the overnight for just that, an overnight sleeping place that is *relatively* safe (safer than a side street near an off ramp, at least) and patronize the merchant;

2) folks that have been displaced by the rising cost of permanent housing and/or loss of income, mental illness or addiction and who are unable to come up with a better solution to their housing problems and never leave the parking lot;

3) folks that use the parking area for their own financial convenience, like the lady that 'stores' her unit 5 days a week.

The second type is the most troublesome as it's a societal issue and to make any significant impact means that the root causes of these extended-stay campers needs to be dealt with. Look to the west coast, where a studio apartment (slightly more s.f. than an RV) rents for $2000+ a month, IF you can find a place... those folks who've had financial setbacks from medical expenses, cosigning their kid's college load (and subsequent defaults), losing a job or spouses income... they can't afford where they are and they can't afford to move, either. What to do? I don't know but realistically they can't stay in WalMart lots. As much as I blame WalMart for destruction of small retailers and mom & pop stores, WalMart shouldn't have to put up with homeless encampments (even if they helped create the need for them).

The third type... not to advocate violence, but the lady quoted needs a "biotch-slap" of the psychological/metaphorical kind. She's a user and needs a reality check.

Again, what's the fix? I don't see one but ultimately I see WalMart banning overnight parking. What will be interesting is to see the blowback when WalMart calls in the tow trucks to remove units that have been in their lots for extended stays.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are those who cause policy to be set...
Closed Thread