RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Walmart overnight parking abusers

Hopefully this does not turn into a network wide Walmart ban on overnight parking and they can keep it localized. Some folks just don't get reasonable

https://nationalpost.com/news/local-...c-ea7ae9c071dc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
A few will end up ruining it for all. Just don't understand.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:23 AM   #3

Yes, seems inevitable. Unfortunately, Walmartís generosity is being abused. As far as I know, at this time, itís left up to the local management, or sometimes city ordinances. If I were in charge of their stores, I would implement a limit of 3 nights stay. No exceptions. Those who stay long term arenít RVing, theyíre basically homeless (a whole different matter), and the ones that say they store an RV there? Wow.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Big problem here in SoCal....basically caused by down on their luck homeless folks camping anywhere they can. Better an RV than a tent right? Local beach state parks are filled with them since they panhandle money for rv sites. There is no "dress code" for the exterior of your rv at Ca state parks.

Local Walmarts in this area ban overnight stays. Mostly city ordinances are the ruling decision. The homeless just move into residential neighborhoods and keep moving around to avoid vagrant charges.

You'll find them at the parks and industrial areas as well.

That article, I'm afraid spells doom for overnites at Wally World forever. Even in the USA. All summer rv storage? That is over the top IMHO.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a local problem to each area and Walmart is the one to settle it. Let them worry about it. They can set limits and enforce them any time they choose.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Old 08-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
It's a local problem to each area and Walmart is the one to settle it. Let them worry about it. They can set limits and enforce them any time they choose.
That is like saying if your neighbor has the flu, it is his problem. No, it is everybody's problem since diseases like this spread from place to place and threaten everybody.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #7

For us, we always call before assuming we can park (typically overnight only) and speak to a manager to ensure we're okay. We tell them what kind of unit we are in and that we are merely passing through. In lieu of outright banning overnight parking, perhaps that could become the new rule. 3-5 days max and verbal permission from a manager.
James 3:17
Old 08-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Walmart overnight parking abusers

Itís a shame, here in So Cal, LA area, this is a major issue, they are parked everywhere, run down 30 year old Motorhomes in major disrepair, blue tarps covering roofs, sides of motorhome crushed in from major accidents, with personal belongings stacked up on the sidewalks outside. As any business owner, you would not want your customers to be exposed to this element.
In my opinion a stay at Walmart should be limited to one overnight while traveling. Itís not a campground. We always make sure to shop at the Walmart we are stopped at.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Old 08-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
That is like saying if your neighbor has the flu, it is his problem. No, it is everybody's problem since diseases like this spread from place to place and threaten everybody.
It just might be that Walmart is aware of the problems some folks deal with and want to help out.

If I have the flu, stay the heck away from me. I will handle my own problems.

If you see me out spreading it around, then say something politely. If I don't feel good I might not suffer you well.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I agree to the thought of limiting it to one night rest stops. Anything more than that is camping in my eyes, regardless of the reason behind it. I very rarely will stop at any retail lot. Preferring to stop in a well lite and managed interstate rest area. Yes the trucks can be noisy but I feel it is a more appropriate spot. If I am off of an interstate then I will hunt out a Walmart, Cabellaís or Cracker Barrel
Old 08-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #11

Path of least resistance logic will end up prevailing. Walmart is not in the business of managing/policing parking rules. It is much easier and less expensive to simply ban all overnight parking and remove the extra work on the manager and store employees.

Unfortunately it seems like the west coast is out of control with RV parking anyplace for any length of time. Recent court case in Oregon, judge ruled that the MH on blocks with no engine could not be moved by the city since it was a 'home'.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #12

My truck driving son just complained last week that more often truck stop parking lots smell rank of urine. Most urine dumping is from stale PEE bottles being emptied in parking lots. It's a well know fact that most truckers carry a empty milk jug with them. If that happens at Walmart lots, it will be the end of overnight parking!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
The extended-stay issue at Walmart and other public locations says a lot about our society. It used to be that people were proud of the fact that they had a job and supported themselves. We had some personal pride and a sense of responsibility.

Now, there's a strong dose of "society owes me" going around. That is classically displayed by the gal in the article who "stores" her camper at a Walmart parking lot.

“Honest to God, Walmart is the most ideal place to store your camper during the week, and off you go on the weekends,” she said. “I live in an apartment, so there is nowhere for me to park.” She shuns other storage options, saying they’re either too expensive or inconvenient.

Wow! That's chutzpah in spades. We certainly wouldn't want her to be inconvenienced! What's gonna happen when Walmart reads the article and boots her out? She'll probably sue.

TJ
Old 08-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having driven over the road semis I know that most sleeper cabs do not have a bathroom. Guess who's doing the peeing in the parking lots in the middle of the night? RVs have bath rooms. Compute?

We have never overnighted in a Walmart, Cracker Barrel, or even a Flying J. We might some day though.

So you're telling me that you spent a gazillion bucks on your huge RV and you simply can't afford to pay for a CG spot overnight? That's like sucking off the public tit to me.

Those people you are condemning are having hard times. If a Corp wants to help them, that's their choice. Just because it disturbs your sensitivities is your problem.

Closed Thread