Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Warranty Work by Third Party Companies

Hi: My DH and I are researching MH - looking between Newmar and Tiffin. Since we are over 6 hours from either dealer, getting waranty work done by our local repair shop here in St Louis, is important to us.

How easy is Newmar to work with third party shops and authorizing work? Our local repair shop that has done work on our TT, has not had much dealings with Newmar but has had good relations with Tiffin.

We found a 2008 Dutch Star we fell in love in Indiana.

Any advice would be helpful.
GerriBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #2

I believe Newmar did some of this in the past; I do not know about today, but I'm sure others on here will know and comment. Personally, if it were me, I'd call Newmar directly and pose the question to them.

Newmar also has authorized service centers, in addition to dealers. However, I recently went to one of these authorized service centers and was told they would not do my Newmar warranty work out of their fear that Newmar might go out of business before paying the warranty claims. So, you might also want to confirm with you local dealer if they would do Newmar warranty, even if Newmar would say they'd pay for them doing it. I suspect many dealers have been caught holding the bag on unpaid warranties by a number of RV companies that closed during this past year, so I'm sure many dealers are more careful these days.

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure how receptive Newmar is with working with other sources, but on two ocassions, I needed work that was under warranty and no dealer or service center for miles around, I talked first to Newmar and then to the dealers and the end result was both dealers became Newmar authorized centers and my work was done under warranty. The first place was a location that had no Newmar authorized service within 300 mikes. The second was not much different.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, I've had the same experience. I purchased my coach from a dealer in San Bernardino that then went out of business, leaving me no Newmar shop within any reasonable distance. Essentially all of my warranty work has been done by a third party shop, but it was something that I discussed with both Newmar and the shop before attempting to get anything done. If it's all pre-arranged, I don't think Newmar will have much trouble supporting and working with your local shop.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #5

I had multiple jobs done under Newmar's warranty by a local 3rd party RV shop...both coach and chassis problems were fixed THE FIRST TIME by this shop, unlike the dealer Leisure Tyme that is now out of business for some strange reason...
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote