Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Washer Dryer selection for Canyon Star

Hello: I have just purchased a new 2014 Canyon Star. It has plumbing and vent stub outs for a washer and dryer in the garage area. Does anyone have experience with adding a W/D to the rig? Are there models that work well that anyone could recommend? I would think a HE type machine would be best, front loading, as it is stubbed out under the cabnet where the DVD/radio is installed, to the left of the door to the bedroom. I travel to dog shows, so will need one able to wash dog crate pads, as well as sheets, towels, etc...Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
dmplanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Congrats on your Newmar and welcome to the Newmar family also.
I would think a residential washer -dryer would fit in your garage with space allowed. Would do larger loads than the regular RV WD's.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for your 2014 CS and below in my signature you will find links to many more for your coach.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi dmplanche,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. Size matters. The residential W/Ds are great. However, the first consideration is space and the second consideration is power. I do not think a residential W/D will work. This is because of the power requirements for the dryer. There is nothing in your coach that requires 240 Volts A/C.

RV/Apartment size units come in two flavors, combo and separate units. The combo unit allows one to start the cycle and return several hours later with everything dry and ready to put away. The down side is these units take smaller loads. This is because the washing and drying tub are the same. In separate units, the dryer tub is always larger. This is because what is being dried becomes larger and needs room to freely tumble when being dried.

Separate units have more capacity. However, one does need to transfer contents of the washer to the dryer. Whatever you choose, make sure the dryer vents to the outside of the coach. I have used the Splendide combo unit for 10 years. It works as advertised and I've had only one service call.

There are several brands that coach manufacturers use. Consider:
Search - ariston washer dryer - Camping World

Search - washer dryer - Camping World

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/categ...r+dryer&Submit=
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #4

In our case we only had room for a combo and decided to go with LG. It was larger then the Splendide. We have had it for 6-7 years now and have had no issues. It does not vent to the outside as some models do, but this has not been an issue to date. FYI
Old 03-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have a Whirlpool He washer and separate Dryer in our Canyon Star. Happy with both. Have heard Alot of complaints on the Combo. Washer and Dryer.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
washer and dryer

Thanks for replies! What model of whirlpool do you have in your Canyon Star garage? I see in Brochure for Newmar CS, it talks about Whirlpool as an option, but can't find any more info as to model etc... Guess I should call Newmar directly.

Dina Planche
2014 Canyon Star 3940
dmplanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi dmplanche,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. Size matters. The residential W/Ds are great. However, the first consideration is space and the second consideration is power. I do not think a residential W/D will work. This is because of the power requirements for the dryer. There is nothing in your coach that requires 240 Volts A/C.
The simple solution to that is get a gas dryer and run it off propane. It'd take a little bit more work to have a line ran from the tank to the garage area, but it'd be nice to have a big dryer.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi cwsqbm,
One would need to understand the propane consumption. If we thinbk of the different power sources for the coach:
1. fuel for the engine/generator
2. propane
3. electricity
etc.

For me the most difficult fuel to refill is propane. I'd get rid of propane, if I could.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #9

LA Gulf Coast Campers
DM... we had the Whirlpool stackables installed into our Canyon Star by National Indoor RV in Dallas. Easy people to do business with. We also have dogs and need to wash/dry pads, blankets, etc.... the separate units have worked well for us. I don't think you would be happy with the combo units.
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Washer Dryer selection for Canyon Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post

For me the most difficult fuel to refill is propane. I'd get rid of propane, if I could.

Agreed. Propane is expensive and a pain to get on the road.

Looking forward to our all electric coach!!

I'd stick to the RV combo or stacked units that Newmar and other MH's use. We installed a Splendid in our current DP. Slipped right into the pre-plumbed spot with zero effort.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #11

We have a 3920 Canyon Star and use a Splendide 7100XC washer/dryer combo in the garage. It is ventless. We only use it when we are at a location with full hookups. It can take 5 hours full a complete wash/dry cycle and load size is about half of a standard washer. Even with those limitations we are very happy with the unit.

We have been using this setup for 3 years without a single issue to date. I did not want a vented unit as I did not want to cut a hole in the side of the coach.

I still race motorcycles off-road and it does a great job on my riding gear which can get fairly dirty with my hobby.
Vet618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplanche View Post
Thanks for replies! What model of whirlpool do you have in your Canyon Star garage? I see in Brochure for Newmar CS, it talks about Whirlpool as an option, but can't find any more info as to model etc... Guess I should call Newmar directly.

Dina Planche
2014 Canyon Star 3940
Washer is a Whirlpool he model Whirlpool W10175588A
Dryer is a Whirlpool 8578198C

We use them both alot. Wash all clothes, sheets towels etc.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Question about pricing of W/D units

We just purchased a new to us 2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3920. I'm interested in getting a washer/dryer set up as I show dogs as well. How much is the Splendide combo? I was quoted $1700 and I about fell over with sticker shock!!! In the garage, it is pre-plumbed for a unit but how can a washer and dryer fit if not the combo machine? Can anyone post a picture of their CS3920 garage set up? Thanks!!!
Iggyval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggyval View Post
We just purchased a new to us 2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3920. I'm interested in getting a washer/dryer set up as I show dogs as well. How much is the Splendide combo? I was quoted $1700 and I about fell over with sticker shock!!! In the garage, it is pre-plumbed for a unit but how can a washer and dryer fit if not the combo machine? Can anyone post a picture of their CS3920 garage set up? Thanks!!!

Sorry no pic, but the one I saw the Washer / Dryer stackable was in a cabinet in the 3920. The combo washer dryer is around $1200. The two stacked are around $1800. Some sites below for pricing. If you install your self you make get the units from a local store for an apartment or condo.

RV Washers & Dryers

RV Washers & Dryers