Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #1

Washing & waxing

We picked up our first coach a few weeks ago, a 2005 DS 3810.
Exterior finish is in very good condition except for a few scketchy areas on the top of the front and rear caps, which will need to be repainted from what I have read.
Just curious as to what wash and wax products others have used to keep their coaches looking good

Thanks
Doug
Dougjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #2

What do you mean by sketchy areas???

Think auto paint...
I've started using swirl remover with a good dual action polisher and foam pads to remove any dull / scratches. Uused to wax but have moved to using polymer sealants and been very satisfied...EZ on EZ off and water beads longer than w/ wax.
I've tried some of the name brands from auto website - Wolfgang Polymer paint sealant is good. EZ on & off... I did a head to head comparison (half vehicle each) between Wolfgang & NuFinish and they seemed to be roughly equal. NuFinish available in any auto parts, W world, etc.

If you like wax - try one of the Collinite waxes - but polymers are easier and better IMHO
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #3

I have used Theford Wash & Wax to wash my last 4 coaches over the past 21 years & wouldn't switch for anything. I use a very soft brush on Aluminun extension pole with a bucket with a sediment guard in the bottom 1 1/2". The coach stays really shiny & looks great.

I wax it once yearly with Protect-All liquid wax- spray it on lightly on cleaned surface & wipe it off. It really leaves a very slick surface & great shine.

I have found that these products work very well & last for a long time.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:30 AM   #4

Good Morning,

Funny you should just ask? I just spent the week washing and waxing our 2015 DSDP 4369, it took about 10.5 hours total time which included washing the roof. I took 4 days, used meguiars ultimate liquid wax, hand rubbed and buffed. It was a big job but I would do it again and do it the same way!
Good luck and all the best

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use hot water. yup, that's all, just hot water, if it can't be desolved with hot water and a brush then time to get out the carb cleaner. I use spray wax on my drying towel that fits over my wash brush every time I dry it, don't put it on thick, coach looks like it is brand new.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
bucket with a sediment guard in the bottom 1 1/2".
I recently read that pro's use 2 buckets. One with soap and water and one with just water. After washing a section, they rinse the brush in the water bucket before dipping it in the soap bucket. The keeps the soapy water clean and at full strength.

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #7

Here is a pick of the "sketchy area"

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1493571248
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof paint.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	160129  
Old 04-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #8

Not sure how pic got turned, was vertical on my computer, but paint looks just as bad from this angle too.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't see much difference in wash products (except claims made in ads). Any good car wash will do fine.
We have been using Rejex for years, and our coach looks great. We started using it on the front and mirrors to minimize bugs. It worked. So we started using it on the whole coach. It's good for 6 months. Easy to apply and wipe off. It can also be used on glass and acts like Rain-X except it lasts longer.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I don't see much difference in wash products (except claims made in ads). Any good car wash will do fine.
We have been using Rejex for years, and our coach looks great. We started using it on the front and mirrors to minimize bugs. It worked. So we started using it on the whole coach. It's good for 6 months. Easy to apply and wipe off. It can also be used on glass and acts like Rain-X except it lasts longer.
+1 on the Rejex.

If applied right it will last and lives up to its motto "Nothing sticks but the shine". We apply it in the spring and summer when the temperature isn't as hot. They recommend that before the first application you remove all of the old wax.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #11

I have been using Wash and Wax All on my coach and cars for many years and I am very happy with how easy it is to use and how well it works.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Dougjpr

Your clear coat appears to have "died" in your picture.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I also just used a polymer sealant for the first time.....I will never wax again.
I used Meguir's 21 and I am sold on it. I could not believe how easy it was to come off. I also used a hand orbital buffer with foam pad just for the easy of putting it on, wipes right off with a microfiber towel. The shine is unbelievable.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirr...lant+2.0+32+oz
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your clear coat has oxidized and peeled. Only solution for that is sand and recoat. Waxing will not do anything for it. You can recoat it if you are careful not to get into the pigment. You would have to wet sand starting with 1000 grit on the white peeled areas and going up to 1500 grit (wet sand always) to remove the bad clear coat. The objective is to leave a very thin layer of original clear coat on the surface so you don't disturb the pigment. Then you get to recoat and wet sand again followed by buffing with polishing compound. After that you let it cure for a few weeks and apply the desired wax to protect it. Frankly, this is a body shop task to recoat the finish and have it look great again.