Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #1

Washing My Roof

I have read the many products and ways to wash the roof. My question is: any tricks on getting the stuff up there, brushes, buckets full of soap solution,etc? Thanks Wayne

wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #2

I wash mine from a ladder on the side with a wash brush and a product called Roll off that I used to use on my boat .
You mist the roof with water then spray on the roll off and lightly scrub it then let it sit and then spray it off .
Just make sure you also spray the sides of coach as it will strip off the wax also if you don't wash it off good
Any marine supply store has it it is just like black streak remover just a little stronger .

Old 03-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

I carry a bucket up the ladder w/ only dawn soap in it and then pull the hose up w/ a rope tied to it and then add the water to the bucket on top of roof. I use my soft soap brush w/ extended handle and wash down. I work from center out so I won't fall off edge. I then rinse & wash sides from ground.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I take the hose up on the ladder and wrap it around the A/C unit so it won't slide off. Take the brush up and slide it on the roof. Then take the bucket up with just the soap in it and fill the bucket with water while on the roof. That is 2.5 trips up the ladder. When I finish I throw everything off of the roof on the grass next to the driveway.

After the roof dries I mop it down with Mop & Glow. It last for about a year to keep white streaks from running down the side of the coach.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I generally use a 8' step ladder and place the bucket, brush and soap on the roof. I hook the hose nozzle on the coach ladder and pull the hose up as I need it. I do use the coach ladder to access the roof but not to carry anything up on the roof.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #6

I use a pistol grip type hose nozzle so I can hook the handle in my rear pocket so I can pull the hose up without worrying about it. Then extend the brush pole as far as it will go, and hook the brush onto the highest rung of the ladder. This way the only thing I have in my hand is the bucket with washing liquid already in it when I climb up. When I'm up far enough I put the bucket on the roof, then grab the brush on the rung and do the same thing, all the while the hose is coming up with me. I also make sure the hose stays between the handles of the coach's ladder so it doesn't rub against the paint. When done I just toss everything off the roof.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I've used a variety of the methods mentioned. All of them work. I use Simple Green as the "soap". My roof is washed 2 times a year.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I do pretty much the same as everyone, except skip the bucket. I use car wash soap that I load into a dish soap bottle with a squirt tip (like the a Dawn bottle). I wet the roof, squirt a strip of soap and brush. I make sure the coach is tilted either to the front or rear and then wash everything in one direction.

I don't use a bucket at all for washing, got rid of it years ago. Just squirt the soap on the brush and it's usually soapy enough to wash half of one side and then rinse.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #9

that's a great idea don. surprised I never thought about it, but then again nobody said I was to bright lol, have a good day bud
Old 03-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #10

I use one of those sprayer nozzles with the soap container on it. Been using the same one for 15 years on four coaches. Also use it for salt-away when I bring our boat in from salt water use. When I get up the Rv roof I'll secure the hose to ladder with a strip of Velcro after pulling up enough length needed to reach the front. My brush has a sturdy painters extension handle (non-twist type).
Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #11

Safety on the ladder is paramount and that is compromised anytime you have something in your hand. I tie a line to an empty 5 gallon bucket handle. Place soap bottle and brush in bucket, hang hose sprayer from handle of bucket. Climb ladder using both hands for safety. Have the rope looped over your wrist as you climb, with enough slack to reach the roof. When up top, pull up the bucket with hose attached, fill bucket with water.

Note ........ some of the soap/detergents mentioned will strip wax off sidewalls of RV, as the wash water runs down from roof.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two ways of getting things up on the roof.

First, Dump the mounted vertical ladder and go with an extension ladder, pad it if you wish where it contacts the RV, but it's way easier and I believe safer to climb, In days of old when I was bold I was a professional ladder monkey,, once I got tired of falling off roofs. I went to work at a desk telling cops where to go but I used to apply shingles for a living.

However. So long as you ahve a ground crew.

Go up he ladder with 20 feet or so of light weight line. Drop line over side and let parther tie the bucket with the chemicals on,

Drop it and let partner tie hose and/or brush on
Drop it and let partner tie brush or hose on

And now it's all up there.

How I do it today

Toss brush up

Toss hose over

Climb ladder with bucket and Spic & Span in bucket.

But remember.. I used to climb ladders with shingles, up to 180 pounds, on my shoulder.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
In all the posts I have read up to now, nobody has mentioned the....type of roof

Nobody is using 303 on brite-tek roof ?
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #14

I use whatever cheap car wash soap is on sale at Walmart. Use the bucket and rope method and do the same with the hose. I climb the ladder on the back of the coach. Doing the front of the coach where it slopes, I use a 8 ft step ladder and extension brush.

A side note, I use Maguires with wax soap on the sides. Its expensive but it protects the gel coats and graphics.

Tags
roof