RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #1

Wasps in Engine Air Intake ?

Looking for a little advice please....
It appears I have a small wasp nest ( based on number of Wasps I see going in & out ) somewhere inside the air intake chase / ducting in my 2014 Ventana, with Cummins ISL 400 HP.
The air intake is high up on the left rear, and has fixed screens so I have no way of peeking inside the chase, and no idea of where the nest might be. Rear access engine hatch. Inside the engine compartment is a section of rigid steel pipe with flex rubber elbows at top and bottom ends. Steel pipe has clamps top and bottom, obviously designed to be removed.
My questions - Where is the actual air filter ? If I remove that section of steel pipe, am I going to be dropping wasp nest into the engine intake ?

If I am going to take things apart, Air Filter Part # ?

Thanks guys.

britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 04:08 AM   #2

I just replaced my air filter and the old had a little wasp nest in it. The filter is designed so only air gets through from incoming and outgoing air, so wasps would actually have to eat their way through.
My filter was above the front of the engine under the bed. The newer coaches have some access in the floor I think?

The info for you coach can be found on the Newgle site or email customerservice@newmarcorp.com with your VIN . I did that a few weeks ago and they replied with all the filter info (my coach is so old that there is a gap in the data entered into Newgle). Your info there should be complete there.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:38 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I need to look inside my engine compartment being I keep seeing wasps and dirtnaubers (sp) going in there. Will a wasp spray hurt anything in there if I find a wasp nest or will running the engine be the best way to get rid of them?
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I change my air filter every two years. Last year was the first time that I found dead wasps in my air filter. Before I take off for 2 months in late August, I will pull off the hose on the air intake side and take a look to see if there are any inside this year.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #5

The grill at the top is the opening to the air plenum which at least on my MA is molded into the rear fiberglass cap. At the bottom of that plenum there is a sheet of plywood fiberglassed in. In that plywood is the large hole where the air cleaner intake tube is attached. There is also a water drain hole with a slobber tube attached if it rains so the plenum doesn't fill up with water and drain into the turbo (not a good thing at all...).

The Air cleaner is a large canister about 2'6" or so long x a foot in diameter. You can't miss it. I would order a new air filter. Then with filter available, spray some wasp killer in the top grate just to kill off what you can. Open the air filter canister carefully. Kill the rest of the hive you find with spray. After things simmer down, remove the air cleaner and use a shop vac and clean out the plenum, the canister, and the tubing down to the turbo.

With all cleaned up, put the new air filter in and seal it all back up.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We live in a rural area and MH is kept in covered shed but open on each end. To keep dirt dauber/wasp, birds, mice I hang a bag of moth balls in old white sock tie wrapped so it hangs and does not touch engine. Inside my MH I have a sticky note that states “Remove mothballs before starting engine” between that and spreading dicalite (Diatomaceous earth) around perimeter of MH have no ground crawling or flying things in shed. Every void was also filled with foam.

lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, engine