RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

Watching the build process - questions

Good afternoon all. To all who traveled to Newmar to watch their build. What did you get to see, and how did you set it up? Was it worth the trip? Our build is scheduled to begin on a Thursday, should I plan on being there the first day if I go to see the build?

TIA,
John

Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is really nothing to setup.....just arrive for the tours. You might call ahead to make sure your coach hasn't been pushed back in the build line up, which is rare. Your coach is typically in the build plant for three days. They run 11 coaches into the building each morning, one at a time. Ours went in on a Monday morning. Ours was 6th in line. They start early, so at 9:00am, ours was just outside the door to the factory. The tours are at 10:00am and 1:00pm.

The entry door to the factory, is caddy corner to the Tour office, so you can see chassis' going in. Our tour groups averaged from 6 people to 20 people. We had three couples, like us, with coaches being built. The tour consists of a quick hello, complete a release for both of you, a video and then they outfit you with a vest, eyewear and a headphone set. You walk about a hundred yards, across the street, to the build plant entrance. In our case, from 9:00am, to when we started the tour at 10:00am, our chassis had moved into the first bay where the rear bath was being added.

When you first see your chassis going into the building, it has already been in prep for about six days with all the superstructure having been added. The flooring is all done, and everything below the floor has already been installed, like the generator, Oasis (heating), tanks, batteries, slide out trays, etc.

No photos are allowed unless you have a coach in production. They will stop the tour, at your coach, and let you spend as much time as you want taking pictures. We tried to be reasonable, since the tour group was waiting on us.

The tour runs down the front side of the building and ends where they're adding the rear cap. You cross over to the back side where the roof is added and they start installing doors and end with interior work. The last stop is for all of the movable furniture and then heads out the door to paint.

We did six tours over three days. The first day we saw the chassis going in during the morning tour. We came back at 1:00 pm and it had moved about 3 or 4 positions. We repeated this over the next two days and saw our coach for the last time, about two spots from going out the rear door.

Due to the position of your coach, 1st or 11th in line, depends on if you'll see it during the last tour on the third day.

I believe the employees start at 5:00am and go home when the 11th coach goes out the back door each day. So....some days they're working until 2:30pm and other days, they're gone by 1:00. On those days where they're gone early, on the 1:00pm tour, they allow you to walk through your coach. If your coach is on the back half and has most things installed, they'll also let you walk around inside them.

I knew every option I had ordered and noticed one item missing (slide out tray) and one item not deleted (front license plate bolts). I let them know and they determined the bolts were an error on their part and had them removed between tours. The slide out tray was an error that was overlooked by me on the order form....later added at the dealer.

Since we elected to stay in Elkhart, we went to lunch between tours and did some running around. One day we visited the new Service Center and parts department, just down the road from the factory. We typically found a new place for lunch and one day I got a haircut across the street from the factory. It was an old time place and took an hour for a buzz cut....my wife was not happy.

Ask for some directions to the donut shop. It's a place they call Amish Crack. It's got some of the best donuts you'll ever eat. We even saw a guy get on the plain with us, who was taking a dozen home.

One last thing to expect......all of the RV plants grow and shrink as does the economy, including Newmar. The plant is spread out over several roads in one area and the new service center is about a mile away, in downtown.

Our last day we visited the RV Hall of Fame and then flew home. I've seen better tours over the years and some might not be impressed. But.....with a new coach in the build line, it was very interesting.

I know this is long, but I think it will help you know what to expect.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #3

Thanks Don. So I was given a start date. Would that be the scheduled date to enter the production facility or would that be the chassis prep work start date as you mentioned above? We did the tour this past summer and enjoyed it very much.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Congrats on the new coach!

I recently heard Newmar may be changing the morning tour to be longer and include additional areas such as paint, and might require pre arrangements. The 1pm tour was supposed to remain the same and be a “just show up” tour.

I wish I could remember exactly where I heard or read that but you MIGHT want to check to see if it could be true when you go for your build.

We spent three days at Newmar for our build and could almost have given the tour by the time we were done. Between pre order visits, our build, and a couple of tours during our FPU and follow up service visit I think we took the tour at least 15 times in a 12 month period. I will take it a few more times in July when we go for service. It never gets old for me!

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #5

For sure on April 1 the morning tour changes. Need to call to get in. 20 people max. Check NEWMAR Facebook page. Starts at 8:30. No tours before April 1.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #6

Yes, I saw that on Facebook. Thanks
Old 03-25-2019, 06:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I took a lot of pictures during the build and my DW made a photo album. I have referenced that album several times to see how the wires were run, the plumbing positions, and how things connected. I ran the wires for the BT Sealevel up inside the exterior wall using a picture without the skin in place.
As with others I caught mistakes and they moved a plug for me that was put in a place that was going to block my autoformer placement. Send a picture in of you guys and they place it on the front of the coach while it is being built...it lets the workers know that an owner bought that coach not a faceless dealer!
The people on the line were very friendly and helpful to me....it was an exhilarating time for me to watch my "house" being built in 3 days!
We also did the FPU and it was well worth the money and we were experienced RVers.
Enjoy the show!!
Also it is a requirement to post your build pics here

BGDDYRV is offline   Reply With Quote