Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I suggest removing the fluorescent light fixture from the ceiling (usually a few screws and the wiring is usually tucked in with a connector that is easily unplugged) and looking for the direction the water is coming from.
I removed the cover and lights but cannot figure out how to unplug the electrical connectors.

Liz
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check these video's for water leak and possible a O ring problem on the ant turning shaft.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #31

Will do. Thank you.

Liz
Old 03-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCarmel View Post
Will do. Thank you. Liz
Suggest you contact either B&D or Alllstar in Robertsdale. Suggest you NOT use Camping World.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #33

Quote:
I removed the cover and lights but cannot figure out how to unplug the electrical connectors.

Liz
Normally, the wires go up into the ceiling and if you pull them gently you will find they have slack with a plug/socket tucked just out of sight.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Suggest you contact either B&D or Alllstar in Robertsdale. Suggest you NOT use Camping World.
Thank you.

I've used AllStar (their hourly rate is fairly high for rural Alabama) but not B&D.

If I can't get the leak fixed locally, I will take it to the closest Newmar Service Center in LA, or to Newmar in early May.

Liz
Old 03-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1980786][B][URL="https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+geeks+leaky+antena&sitesearch=google.c om&x=35&y=13#q=rvgeeks+repair+water+leak+rv+anten n a
Check these video's[/URL][/B] for water leak and possible a O ring problem on the ant turning shaft.
Thank you. I watched a few of the videos.

We, the RV tech and I, checked both the TV and Wineguard mounts. They look perfect, with sealant where it is supposed to be.

There are no obvious signs of a leak on the roof.

The water is coming through the light fixture in the second ceiling panel (back from the front of the coach). The panel is sagging. I removed the light fixture and periodically push on the ceiling around the opening to force water out.

The ceiling panels on either side of the sagging panel are good.

The RV tech and I applied 25' of EternaBond sealing tape on both sides of the roof, from the front back. He also resealed around the solar battery charging panel.

We did all these repairs in the field.

I am hoping that this fixes the problem. If not, I will either drive to the nearest Newmar service center in Louisiana, or to Nappanee in early May. I have called Newmar; they are working on an estimate.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Liz
Old 03-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thank you. I've used AllStar (their hourly rate is fairly high for rural Alabama) but not B&D. If I can't get the leak fixed locally, I will take it to the closest Newmar Service Center in LA, or to Newmar in early May. Liz
If you wish to take it to Pensacola, I recommend Carpenters Campers. Their service dept has top-notch techs. Also if you need to purchase any items, tell them to give you the BATS 10% discount. They sponsor our RV club, Bay Area TravelerS (BATS). Nice folks there at Carpenters from owner Mark Carpenter to general manager Jim Cook to all other employees on down throughout the business. They've been in business for 50 years, so they must be doing something right.

If you're interested in a RV club, check out our website: batschapter.blogspot.com.

Jim Neil
BATS Secretary
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #37

Thank you Jim. I appreciate the referral.

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
If you wish to take it to Pensacola, I recommend Carpenters Campers.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #38

To update you all about the leak. The repairs made as described in Post 35 above seem to have fixed the leak. We had over 4 inches of rain here late last week and my rig was dry. Yea!

There is still a little water periodically dripping through the open light fixture but I think it's just draining.

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice and support.

Now I can like the rain again!

Liz
Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess I better tape up my seams in my 2003 coach, did you also do the seams across your front and rear caps would also help you in future with a 2002 coach.
You could drop the lights so heat could get up in ceiling to help dry out unless you are in some warm weather and heat from roof will do the same.
Good luck think you got it now.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I guess I better tape up my seams in my 2003 coach, did you also do the seams across your front and rear caps would also help you in future with a 2002 coach.
You could drop the lights so heat could get up in ceiling to help dry out unless you are in some warm weather and heat from roof will do the same.
The seam across the front was already covered so we left it alone. The rear cap is unsealed but doesn't seem to be a problem. If it becomes a problem, now I know what to do!

I will leave the light fixture open until I head north in early May. Hopefully it's all dried out by then.

It's fairly warm in southern Alabama now with highs in the 70s.

Thank you.

Liz
Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #41

The tech at Guaranty RV found several areas on ours that contributed to leaks out of the lights near the front and rear A/C units. The caulking on the edge radius, front and rear on driver's side, had cracks. A section of seam between the roof and coach was not re-sealed after a scrape and seal. Another spot was a split in newly applied sealant near an A/C unit. The A/C gaskets had been replaced and it loosened sufficiently to pop a section of new sealant.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #42

Thank you Tim. I appreciate your input.

Liz

Tags
water