Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Here's what I did during our FPU a few weeks back. Really liked Charlie's setup. I couldn't get as tall but has the same effect. If I needed a manual fill port it would be easy to install going through the pegboard in this compartment.

Attachment 167904
Awesome job! No more siphoning!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Actually, when I did this...I was just trying to fix the dreaded siphon effect...where you fill your tank, and then 20 gallons get siphoned back out. It wasn't until another IRV2 member mentioned that the brass/black cap valve was leaking on thier rig that I realized it was redundent. When you asked about filling without having to force water in past the filter and check valve...It popped into my mind this might also be a solution for that, by adding a gravity fill...

I actually used an Oatley Sure-vent air admittance valve. But with the correct fittings...there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing what you suggested---move the brass/black cap valve to the top of the stack. I just hope the spring isn't so strong that a siphon could start thru the overflow.

I added a few more photos...illustrating the parts...and the zip ties I used to anchor the stack to keep it from flopping around back there.

With this arrangement...you could then repurpose the threaded port where the brass/black cap balves was removed to become a gravity fill port.

You could even use tubing with a 3/4" female gardenhose fitting. Let it dangle out of the pegboard...and...when not in use, get a cap to screw on to seal it. When ready to fill, remove the cap, and attach to the hose from your transfer pump and fill away.

I used the existing flexible pipe...and the tee you see has a longer piece of pvc extending up...two short sections going out the other openings. The flexible pipe slides over the pvc stubs, and get band clamped on.

Sorry, my pictures often get turned funny when posting.
For the siphoning issue would it be easier to resolve by capping the vent during travel?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #17

If you want to stop siphoning do not let the liquid get to the top of the tube and then down. So the solution that seems the simplest. Is a talller loop up as high as possible thenback down. Then take the vent on the top of the tank and raise it till is is a high as the loop or as high as possible.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #18

Before I did anything else I would check the pressure when filling. It sounds like the pump is not capable of putting out much pressure. A better pump would do what you want without any other modifications.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
For the siphoning issue would it be easier to resolve by capping the vent during travel?
The siphoning issue is only a problem when you are heading out for a sans connections camping adventure. If you don't want to crane your neck under the wet bay panel to visually inspect the fresh water level as you fill...it is easiest to connect city water and fill until the duckbill on the opposite side of the coach spurts water. Problem is...you shut of the fill...and water continues to drain, and drain, and drain. Adding height to the loop...would be helpful if you crane your neck to watch the tank. But if you fill to overflow (easiest method)...a siphon can still start up. Only by letting air into the loop can you break the siphon.

I don't think capping anything would solve the issue.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The siphoning issue is only a problem when you are heading out for a sans connections camping adventure. If you don't want to crane your neck under the wet bay panel to visually inspect the fresh water level as you fill...it is easiest to connect city water and fill until the duckbill on the opposite side of the coach spurts water. Problem is...you shut of the fill...and water continues to drain, and drain, and drain. Adding height to the loop...would be helpful if you crane your neck to watch the tank. But if you fill to overflow (easiest method)...a siphon can still start up. Only by letting air into the loop can you break the siphon.

You're as gadgety, no more...., than I. Don't tell me you don't have one of these? I had one installed during my FPU. Love it!

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...onitor-system/

Tank level right on my phone. Percentage, not 3rds/
Old 07-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Okay, I thought the siphoning occurred with no overflow, full tank of water, but driving/airflow caused it.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #22

I'm with Neal. I plan to have the levels available outside. The levels can be used when flushing the black and grey and when filling the water to the 100% mark.

Is the line that overflows just mounted at the top and not into the tank? If that is the case not sure how it would siphon. I'm familiar with siphoning when the pipe extends into the liquid with no hole at the top of a pipe. The hole is to let air to break the siphon.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You're as gadgety, no more...., than I. Don't tell me you don't have one of these? I had one installed during my FPU. Love it!

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...onitor-system/

Tank level right on my phone. Percentage, not 3rds/
Yeah...you've figured me out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170530_111357.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	167973  
Old 07-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
I'm with Neal. I plan to have the levels available outside. The levels can be used when flushing the black and grey and when filling the water to the 100% mark.

Is the line that overflows just mounted at the top and not into the tank? If that is the case not sure how it would siphon. I'm familiar with siphoning when the pipe extends into the liquid with no hole at the top of a pipe. The hole is to let air to break the siphon.
The standard configuration is just a hose connected to a duckbill extending thru the floor of the compartment...no hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170527_084548.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	167976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170527_084556.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	167978  

Old 07-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Okay, I thought the siphoning occurred with no overflow, full tank of water, but driving/airflow caused it.
I haven't experienced that...but I have read testimonials of that exact thing occurring. They filled the fresh tank cautiously to prevent siphoning...but the tank sloshing while driving initiated a siphoning event...so they arrived at thier destination with less water.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I haven't experienced that...but I have read testimonials of that exact thing occurring. They filled the fresh tank cautiously to prevent siphoning...but the tank sloshing while driving initiated a siphoning event...so they arrived at thier destination with less water.

I have had it happen many times. Leave with full tank arrive with 2/3 tank. It would really empty a bunch when stopping. The siphon would start and a few gallons would leak out before the siphon would stop.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #27

Is the duckbill end separate from the hose? Connected at the floor?
Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Is the duckbill end separate from the hose? Connected at the floor?
I don't know exactly how they put the two together. Looks like they insert the end of the white hose into the duckbill...and feed it down thru the floor with black rtv sealant, and then put a bead of rtv around the part extending thru the bottom of the floor.

Tags
boondocking, water