RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter

I'm sure if I removed everything, I'd get better flow, but my stuff hasn't noticeably affected shower pressure, etc. BTW, I also use an under-the-sink RO filter for drinking water.

Piping between filters is at least 3/4" with 1" PEX between the two filter canisters. These are "jumbos" (10") so there's a lot more surface area than the standard size. The UV sterilizer is just a can with a UV light.

Peace of mind is worth a few PSI.
Thanks. We recycle plastic bottles that once contained water. Have for years. I know some don't like to buy water - what I don't like is paying the city for water I can't stand to drink. And it gets worse when the lakes turn over - and drought lowers the water level. Think I'll stick with bottled water and standard filtration. Although the water softener will most likely be added. Shower and washer need good water. I'm also interested in some kind of filter for the line into the ice maker. Any thoughts on that?

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Thanks. We recycle plastic bottles that once contained water. Have for years. I know some don't like to buy water - what I don't like is paying the city for water I can't stand to drink. And it gets worse when the lakes turn over - and drought lowers the water level. Think I'll stick with bottled water and standard filtration. Although the water softener will most likely be added. Shower and washer need good water. I'm also interested in some kind of filter for the line into the ice maker. Any thoughts on that?
An under-the-sink reverse osmosis system will supply all the drinking water you need. They can also be plumbed so that all the waste water goes back into your water holding tank. Check out www.rvwaterfilterstore.com.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter
An under-the-sink reverse osmosis system will supply all the drinking water you need. They can also be plumbed so that all the waste water goes back into your water holding tank. Check out www.rvwaterfilterstore.com.
I have seen most everything on their site - lol. But I don't recall a "final small filter" for the ice maker line. Had instant hot and RO at S&B but are in Apartment in year 4 of 5 year plan to going full time. As for RO - under the sink in MH - we don't have a lot of room under there now and no dedicated drinking water spout. Had one in my old class B believe it or not. We're fine not drinking road water. Shower, dishes laundry and ice. I never have any problems with the ice but all these pics and filters had me wondering about the ice maker line. Back to the link.maybe I missed it.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use only the small portable filter that I screw onto the "Y" valve I screw onto the CG faucet. I do not put a filter in the big built in casing. Sometimes I add an inline pressure fitting. Never had any of this growing up as a kid. Used to drink water right out of the hose.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #33

Our Maytag residential refrigerator came with a filter. Here's our setup for RO drinking water, which DH installed in 2010:

Our system is a 20 micron sediment filter attached to a water softener on the outside of the RV, then in the water bay is a 5 micron sediment filter and a 5 micron carbon filter. Under the sink is the RO filter/membrane and a 2 gallon storage tank along with the Pentek GS Series water filter. Our storage tank is two gallons, because we don't have room for the larger, three gallon storage tank under the sink. As it is, the storage tank in kinda crammed in the back of the sink cabinet behind the right side pull out drawer. The RO water goes to the spigot near the sink and to the refrig, which also has it's own filter. The RO water is definitely acidic and we've been trying to figure out how/where to put a large PH filter (PS-3C) under the sink after the RO, but after reading a post in another thread yesterday about alkalinity, we are going to replace the Pentek GS Series with an Omnipure 1/2 calcite and 1/2 granular carbon filter to add some alkalinity back into the water.

Our water pressure is fine in the shower, washing machine, all the sinks and the refrigerator, if only getting one or two glasses of water, but slows down considerably on the third and fourth glass of water. I do think it's time to install a new RO membrane, which we plan to do this winter.

Sue
Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38 View Post
I use only the small portable filter that I screw onto the "Y" valve I screw onto the CG faucet. I do not put a filter in the big built in casing. Sometimes I add an inline pressure fitting. Never had any of this growing up as a kid. Used to drink water right out of the hose.
My friends used to ride their bicycles behind the DDT trucks in the '50s. Times have changed.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydiver View Post
Our Maytag residential refrigerator came with a filter. Here's our setup for RO drinking water, which DH installed in 2010:

Our system is a 20 micron sediment filter attached to a water softener on the outside of the RV, then in the water bay is a 5 micron sediment filter and a 5 micron carbon filter. Under the sink is the RO filter/membrane and a 2 gallon storage tank along with the Pentek GS Series water filter. Our storage tank is two gallons, because we don't have room for the larger, three gallon storage tank under the sink. As it is, the storage tank in kinda crammed in the back of the sink cabinet behind the right side pull out drawer. The RO water goes to the spigot near the sink and to the refrig, which also has it's own filter. The RO water is definitely acidic and we've been trying to figure out how/where to put a large PH filter (PS-3C) under the sink after the RO, but after reading a post in another thread yesterday about alkalinity, we are going to replace the Pentek GS Series with an Omnipure 1/2 calcite and 1/2 granular carbon filter to add some alkalinity back into the water.

Our water pressure is fine in the shower, washing machine, all the sinks and the refrigerator, if only getting one or two glasses of water, but slows down considerably on the third and fourth glass of water. I do think it's time to install a new RO membrane, which we plan to do this winter.

Sue
The 2nd sediment filter is 1 micron, instead of 5. Ordered an Omnipure 1/2 calcite and 1/2 granular carbon filter, a RO membrane and a carbon with KDF to replace the plain carbon filter.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JLDHELMS Ö hope you donít mind but I wound up copying your set-up with some slight modifications to fit my coach. Basically installed a new clear canister upstream of the factor one and used it for a 5 micron sediment filter. Ordered the clear canister from DiscountFilterStore.com (PENTEK-STANDARD-CLEAR-34-PR10 for $24.69 and the mounting bracket PENTEK-MC-1A-KIT for $5.99). Also incorporated a pressure gauge on the incoming shore water feed. Think this will do it for me.

Thanks for posting your set-up.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WF1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	45701   Click image for larger version

Name:	WF2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	45702  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WF3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	45703  
FLSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #37

Knock on wood - but I've never used a filter and never had any trouble. I've only camped in the southeast, minus Florida & Louisiana, and the water has always tasted good right from the tap. Maybe I'll get it when I have a bad experience.
rhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmwalden View Post
JLDHELMS … hope you don’t mind but I wound up copying your set-up with some slight modifications to fit my coach. Basically installed a new clear canister upstream of the factor one and used it for a 5 micron sediment filter. Ordered the clear canister from DiscountFilterStore.com (PENTEK-STANDARD-CLEAR-34-PR10 for $24.69 and the mounting bracket PENTEK-MC-1A-KIT for $5.99). Also incorporated a pressure gauge on the incoming shore water feed. Think this will do it for me.

Thanks for posting your set-up.

Steve
How did you connect the two canisters? I think this is what I will do along with an auto fill and be done.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
How did you connect the two canisters? I think this is what I will do along with an auto fill and be done.
redbaron, that's pretty much the system I have also, but I added a filter bypass. My two canisters connect with a 3/4" NPT nipple, length of your choosing.
Attached Images

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
redbaron73 ... I connected them with one of these that I bought at Lowe's. I needed to keep the two filters as tight together as possible for space reasons. I also had to use plenty of Teflon tape to get it to seal and it took about four (4) tries before it worked. First one side would leak and when that stopped the other side started. But it's all good now.

Steve
Attached Images

FLSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

redbaron, that's pretty much the system I have also, but I added a filter bypass. My two canisters connect with a 3/4" NPT nipple, length of your choosing.
Thanks. Seems easy enough.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
skmwalden, you are welcome. Glad to help with the ideas. That is what this site is all about You did a neat job. My kind of guy. Jim

JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water