Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

Water Filters

DW is very concerned about water filtering for the rig. Has anyone taken their water filtering and softening to the next level or does everyone just use the built-in units?

If anyone has figured out if a Doulton or Berkey filters can be used on the built-in filter, I'd be very interested to learn more about that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #2

I installed this last year. Works fantastic. Once setup simply connect hoses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F9...b_b_asin_title

I swap out the filters at the start of the season.
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #3

Thanks Jim,
I was looking at doing something similar, with a three-cartridge system.

Has anyone gone bananas and put in a UV system and softener as well?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #4

I've worked up a design to add a water softener but have not had time to implement it yet. It would be a "less than portable" solution.
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
DW is very concerned about water filtering for the rig. Has anyone taken their water filtering and softening to the next level or does everyone just use the built-in units?

If anyone has figured out if a Doulton or Berkey filters can be used on the built-in filter, I'd be very interested to learn more about that.
I switched out the original single canister system for a dual system from RV Water Filter Store for several reasons:

I like to be able to see the condition of the particulate filter.
I change the particulate filter much more often then the carbon filter. Usually about once/month as I use a 1micron string wound filter.
The dual system gives better flo and gives you much more flexibility for changing out different filter types.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9772527E-1165-479C-A6FA-5E7A642DEF41.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	253567  
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I looked into putting a whole house water filter on my motorhome(the original was missing presumably cause it wasn't winterized properly). After looking at the cost of the water filter and annual cartridge cost, we use bottled water from Walmart. At 9 cents per bottle, I can buy a lot of water to drink for the cost of the water filter and cartridge. We use the water on board for washing dishes, hands, toilet etc, we just don't drink it. And really the only reason we don't drink it is I have a terribly difficult time getting all the RV antifreeze out of the system. My wife says she can still smell it after I flush it all day....so I gave up.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
I switched out the original single canister system for a dual system from RV Water Filter Store for several reasons:

I like to be able to see the condition of the particulate filter.
I change the particulate filter much more often then the carbon filter. Usually about once/month as I use a 1micron string wound filter.
The dual system gives better flo and gives you much more flexibility for changing out different filter types.
I really like your set up. I am assuming the air fitting is for winterizing? How do you ensure you get all the water out of all the lines etc so it doesn't freeze? That is why I have always used RV antifreeze, afraid I will miss a line somehow.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
Yes. Before we started full timing, we completely revamped our water filtration system:

A = Pressure Regulator
B = Sediment Filter (5 micron)
C = Carbon Block Filter
D = Water Softener
E = Flow Meter (measures GPM)
F = UV Filter Light

Finally, we have a RO (Reverse Osmosis) system under the kitchen sink.
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
I really like your set up. I am assuming the air fitting is for winterizing? How do you ensure you get all the water out of all the lines etc so it doesn't freeze? That is why I have always used RV antifreeze, afraid I will miss a line somehow.
What air fitting are you asking about? There are no air fittings in the compartment. Perhaps you are mistaking my black tank rinse/quick disconnect hose for an air fitting.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
This is the one I ended up using. I bought a system from RV Water Filter Store and wasn't happy with it in the end, replaced it with this one and is working great for me, GREAT water pressure. Just replaced the filter with the same one that comes with the coach (0.5 micron - https://amzn.to/32xlFoP).

https://amzn.to/2JMzrLF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water-filter.png
Views:	139
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	253604  
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #11

On the other hand, hundreds of millions of people in North America get by without any post-water main water filters and live long, healthy lives...
Old 07-17-2019, 10:15 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
On the other hand, hundreds of millions of people in North America get by without any post-water main water filters and live long, healthy lives...
We do get carried away don’t we. On the other hand, have you watched some people hooking up their system?? Water hose laying on the ground next to the sewer hookup. Flushing the black with the same hose. Throwing sewer hose and water hose in the same compartment with ends loose, etc, etc. and yet we seem to survive. I’m a bit anal about my water supply and I cringe when I watch some rvers hooking up.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #13

I think you have to gauge how long you camp each year and where you camp. We are full time and have spent some time in commercial campground plus some county and state parks. We have of course been hooked up to city water, county supplied water, and well water.

We use the OEM whole house filter system plus the On The Go portable water softener (large one). It is amazing how consistently soft and good our water has been.

Generally speaking we drink water dispensed from the frig, which is filtered an additional time due to the frig filter.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #14

I use Pelican Ez-connect consists of sediment filter and an active charcoal filter the water then passes through a water softener (Soon to be a softCell) works great and for drinking water a Berkey

Zzotte

Tags
water