Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Water flow concerns

I have a 2014 Dutch Star. It takes for ever to fill the fresh water tank, when it is full the overhead gauge read only 3/4. I only know it is full when water starts pouring from what must be the overflow on the passenger underside. As I pull away water continues to flow emptying the tank down to 1/2 reading.
Also when on city water the coach pressure is poor, must supplement by turning the pump on, have confirmed the city water pressure is good at the faucet.
Any ideas?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two of them both related.

First the inlet screen washer.. on the city water inlet there is normally a screen, This can clog with time and dirty water systems such as the one we have hear.. Cleaning is simple. Or you can replace it,, all appliance stores, hardwares and RV stores have them.

Second. is a pressure regulator.. On the inlet look for a small usually screeened hole usually just below the hose connection.. This indicates you have a SUR-FLOW (Watts) Pressure regulator..As these age they pass less and less water.. Rebuliding is possible Or replacement is easy.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
When we had the slow fill/bad pressure on our Canyon Star, it turned out to be the filter.

The 3/4 indication could be calibration of the sensors, do you have an instruction manual for the display?

The emptying to 1/2 indicated is probably the biggest problem to solve, one Newmar member posting on this forum had this issue from the start, I believe they had to redo the overflow pipe.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #4

Hi Jameshawk, Low pressure may well be a filter problem, if you don't have info on calibration of the gauges call Newmar. The overflow problem can be solved by clamping a spring cloths pin on the overflow tube after rolling it up. I do this regularly to preserve the tank water especially when planning to boondock.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

I believe, as others have mentioned, that the slow flow is the result of the whole house filter. Either clogged or very fine which will cause the low volume flow.

The overflow pipes can be found in the shallow compartment in front of the rear tire on the curb side. I found on my 14 DSDP that the tubing was not high enough (at the top or above the fresh water tank) and as such, as the level of water rises to the level of the overflow tubing, it begins to siphon out and ends up dumping a fairly sizable amount of fresh water. In my opinion, you have two options (other than taking it back to the factory) which are to only fill to 3/4 full or pull the board in the compartment and redo the tubing so that the top is at or above the top of the tank. I reconfigured my overflow tubing and can now fill the tank without causing the siphon effect. Would not recommend tying off the flapper since you want the overflow to work and protect against the pressure of overfilling should that occur. That will sometimes happen whether it is a result of forgetting that you were filling the tank or as a result of a malfunctioning valve when hooked to city water.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
I have a 2014 Dutch Star. It takes for ever to fill the fresh water tank, when it is full the overhead gauge read only 3/4. I only know it is full when water starts pouring from what must be the overflow on the passenger underside. As I pull away water continues to flow emptying the tank down to 1/2 reading.
Also when on city water the coach pressure is poor, must supplement by turning the pump on, have confirmed the city water pressure is good at the faucet.
Any ideas?
I bet your filter is clogged. Try just removing it (temporarily) and see if the problem goes away. We just had the same issue. Filter was only 2 months old and fresh water fill was glacial, no pressure on city water. Popped a new one in and its screaming fast now.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Just got back from the coach, the water flow problem was the full house filter. Pulled it out and all works fine. Was nowhere to find its replacement but can do so when I return the coach home this fall. Put a cloth pin type clamp on the fresh water over flow and this at least stopped the syphoning loss of water, will address this problem as well as look into recalibrating the water level gauge also when its home.

Thanks for all of your inputs.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is the recalibration of your tanks found in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"jameshawk"......regarding the overflow tube.....mine did the same thing as yours. I went to Lowes and bought the same type tubing and lengthened my overflow hose by about a foot. I routed it higher into the bay and then back down. This solved the issue.

When I first bought the coach, I found the fill to be very slow. It's the filter, even when clean, it just doesn't flow water that fast. I thought about making a bypass for filling, but decided that I liked the idea of the tank water being filtered. I rarely have to fill my tank, so it's not a big issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:08 PM   #10

A lot of good information here. I filled my tank last week it seemed like it took along time. But I did see after I pulled the motorhome out and had it parked on the street it was still leaking. I've got a little project now
Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
For the fill and flow to both be slow then the filtering must be happening on both fill and use?
Old 07-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #12

I had alot of trouble filling the tank. It was the water filter. I went to lowes and got a carbon filter and now I have lots of water.
dmsatori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water