RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #1

Water from air conditioner accumulating on top of FWS, coming inside on retraction

I pulled my coach in my garage on Friday. I had the AC's running and there was some water draining in the right passenger side and front driver side.

Today I went over to pull in the slides and pull it out a bit to take pictures of a problem with my 360 camera. I started the engine to start airing up and after aired up, I did a retract all, and noticed quite a bit of water coming off the front of the full wall slide.

I was surprised how much was on there, since it was from the air conditioner, which I thought would be either caught by the gutter or the slide topper. Anyway, since so much came off, I figured that with garage slopped front to back to drain water, that all was good.

Went back inside (after checking reveals) and retracted the FWS slide and a LOT of water came in and hit the floor behind the driver's seat. A bath towel was drenched after soaking it up. It was under both front seats, up near the pedals, etc.

I've read threads in the past where people talk about dipping the front end (retracting only front jacks) to drain water off the FWS that might have accumulated in blowing rain, but what's surprising me here is that I didn't expect water from the AC to drain and accumulate under the slide topper on the FWS.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #2

Check your roof drains, might be plugged up.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Check your roof drains, might be plugged up.
I don't think the Ventana has four corner drains like Dutch Star..
Old 09-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - As you mentioned, dip the coach and allow the water to run off. That may require that you stop the retraction while doing so to let the water drain.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - As you mentioned, dip the coach and allow the water to run off. That may require that you stop the retraction while doing so to let the water drain.

Tom
That's what I have to do ! Been there, done that !
Old 09-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Tom
I'll do that, but think something must be wrong. I can understand rain blowing in, but this was AC running while in garage.

There is a gutter that drains just in front of full wall slide, so I'm thinking there is either a crack in it or something not caulked.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:44 AM   #7
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I'll do that, but think something must be wrong. I can understand rain blowing in, but this was AC running while in garage.

There is a gutter that drains just in front of full wall slide, so I'm thinking there is either a crack in it or something not caulked.
In addition to being a sail in moderate winds, my FWS topper will hold gallons of water, be it rain or AC condensation. I have also pulled mine in without realizing how much water was up there and had it dump behind the driver seat.

Sloping the coach to drain the water before retracting slide is the best solution.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #8

I'm not familiar with your model ... can you provide some details?
Does your slide have a topper?
Is the slide a flat-floor type (drops down when extended)?
Does the slide roof have a very slight pitch with a sharper pitch at the seal?
Old 09-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I'm not familiar with your model ... can you provide some details?
Does your slide have a topper?
Is the slide a flat-floor type (drops down when extended)?
Does the slide roof have a very slight pitch with a sharper pitch at the seal?
I'm not sure on the pitch, I'll have to get on a ladder and look (which I plan to do hopefully today to see if I see any issues with seals).

It's an electric flat floor, so when pulling in, it goes up the ramp. It does have a slide topper and the AC drain water is getting on the slide roof, not the topper.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:31 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:

I think you are onto something regarding the gutter rails that direct the water. It sounds like the water has an egress point off the roof onto the slide instead of being directed to the front or rear corners of the coach, be it a gap or missing caulk.
We_B_Tripn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
I'm not sure on the pitch, I'll have to get on a ladder and look (which I plan to do hopefully today to see if I see any issues with seals).

It's an electric flat floor, so when pulling in, it goes up the ramp. It does have a slide topper and the AC drain water is getting on the slide roof, not the topper.

While you are on the roof check the gutter for seams ... mine has seams and they can leak.

BTW, my A/Cs have a roof drainage system (pipes in the roof) that are connected and drain to the rear and then down the corners (behind the hitch). They don't work unless the front of the RV is higher than the back.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #12

Another nice thing about a Dutchstar, roof drains for the AC, and my slide toppers are angled not flat.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #13

Got up on a ladder, but with slide open, so it's hard to see where the issue could be. There was no water this time, not sure why, but it must have leveled a bit different as all the AC water seems to be draining off the back this time.

I need to get back up with the slide closed, or get up with a hose and get some water running. Where the slide topper attaches, there is a bead of silicon that runs the length of the slide topper and an integrated gutter of sorts.

So, I think there are two possibilities.

1. there is a break somewhere in the bead of silicone or break in the gutter
2. looking from the back of the FWS, it looks like one of the joints in the curved aluminum piece that goes from the roof to the sidewall (I have the Britetek roof) has a larger gap then the other joints. So, I'm wondering if water could be running in there and getting between the sidewall and slide topper. If this is the entry point, hopefully it isn't also getting into the wall itself.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #14

This is the gap that I saw that I'm wondering if could be a water entry point.

Tags
air, air conditioner, water