Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Water heater issue

My 2000 Dutchstar has an issue with the water heater. The electric side works, but the propane side starts fires and within a few seconds shuts down. I believe the issue may be in the two solenoids. It has been an extremely wet, cold winter and days of some higher then normal humidity here in the Northwest.
I am planning to pull the solenoid in the next few days and check them for corrosion. Has anyone out there had this issue and how was it resolved?
coastdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastdriver View Post
My 2000 Dutchstar has an issue with the water heater. The electric side works, but the propane side starts fires and within a few seconds shuts down. I believe the issue may be in the two solenoids. It has been an extremely wet, cold winter and days of some higher then normal humidity here in the Northwest.
I am planning to pull the solenoid in the next few days and check them for corrosion. Has anyone out there had this issue and how was it resolved?
I doubt the solenoid is the problem. It sounds more like the board is not getting the signal that it's burning which would close the gas valve. Try cleaning the igniter which also sends the signal to the board that it's burning.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #3

As stated above, a good cleaning is in order before all else.

Blow out the fire tube and burner compartment. Spiders like to do their thing in this area. (That's the 3/4" dia silver tube)
Next remove the short aluminum gas line, being careful not to distort it. Inside the fitting, you will find an orifice. Use a soft bristle to clean the orifice and blow out with compressed air.
Also, if you aren't aware, you should remove the Anode rod and replace if required on an annual basis.

About a year ago, the electric element in mine went south. When I tried to remove it, it turned into a project just due to old age and an accumulation of corrosion over the years. So rather than mess with it further, I replaced it with a 12 gallon unit (original was 10) which slide in slick as duck soup.
I mention this because there comes a time when these things reach the end of their service life and it's time to take em out behind the barn and shoot em rather than keep chasing ones tail. IMHO,,,,,
Old 04-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #4

X2 on the cleaning. Then if still no joy, then there is a thermister that is looking for things to get hot (when the unit fires up), and if it does not sense heat (or is bad), it will shut down the gas supply valve. They are usually pretty cheap (not sure if yours is Atwood but likely). Check out this video for troubleshooting reference.

Good luck

Terry

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater