Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #1

Water heater question

When hooked up to 50amp electric and with the electric water heater turned on I get very hot water. I switched to propane/gas and it takes longer to heat up and doesn't get as hot. I would have figured the inverse with gas compared to electric. Will keep giving it time but one question that I can't find an answer to in the manuals or in the forum is the external box outside the water heater on the side of the RV. There is an on/off switch which doesn't seem to do anything but I'm sure there is a purpose. Sorry the picture is sideways but the on/off switch is in the lower left hand corner right in the gas line loop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4068.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	165751  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - That switch needs to be on for hot water. Turn it on and see if your issue goes away.

Tom
Old 06-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Canipeb - We have the same water heater on our 2017 Ventana LE 3412. The switch you show is to turn 'on' the electric side of the water heater. That switch on the heater itself just allows the electric to turn on, like a circuit breaker; you should also have a switch inside to actually turn it on and off, and another to turn on propane to the water heater.

I admit I have not read the owners manual for this RV (just picked it up a few weeks ago) but on our previous RV you could run the water heater on both gas and electric simultaneously to allow it to heat up more quickly. If just using one or the other, propane is/was faster than electric, the difference of 15 minutes vs. 20 minutes or so to reach full temperature.

The actual temperature should be the same on either so I'm surprised you state that you think it's hotter on electric than on propane. Perhaps the manual will tell you if there's a separate thermostat for gas and electric?

Good luck and post back what you find.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
This is a Suburban water heater. I've noticed that the Suburban on our Roadtrek is also much hotter on electric than on gas. There are two thermostats under the cover with the two rubber-covered pushbuttons, one for electric and one for gas.

On the Canyon Star the Atwood heater heats to the same temperature on either gas or electric.

I kind of like the electric hotter, it means I don't unnecessarily burn gas to heat water when I'm plugged in and forget to turn off the gas.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The switch on the heater needs to be off if you need to winterize so accidentally turning on electric switch's inside will not cause electric elements to burn out with the water drain from tank.
You may have a feed of two hoses working off engine to heat water in tank when traveling.
All links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
....I admit I have not read the owners manual for this RV (just picked it up a few weeks ago) but on our previous RV you could run the water heater on both gas and electric simultaneously to allow it to heat up more quickly. If just using one or the other, propane is/was faster than electric, the difference of 15 minutes vs. 20 minutes or so to reach full temperature.
When we have guest staying in the coach, we turn on both. Helps the recovery time. When it's just us, we use electric, when available...
Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #7

Same water heat (different rig) and I just leave both on. Have never ran out of hot water with a family of four taking showers back to back
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 10 gallon water heater. I guarantee you that when two or three people take showers, one after the other, the hot water will be gone. If you have a coach full of people and they use the shower, they must be excellent at doing a "navy shower" cause that 10 gallons would never last. I use both gas and electric to cut down on the recovery time...

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater