Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Water Heater switches

I just purchased a 2004 DSDP and today I found that the water pump switch red light in the upper cabinet to the right of the entrance door was illuminated.
The pump switch was in the off position. The pump switch in the toilet area was also off and the pump switch was off in the water bay. Is there any other switch locations. My 2000 Dutch Star had one on the wall on the back wall in the kitchen. I can't seem to find one in the kitchen in the 2004 DS. Can anyone let me know if I'm missing a location??
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #2

I am confused. You thread title mentions a water heater illuminator. The location and color are consistent with the propane water heater switch in my '15 VTDP. The light is on when the water heater is attempting to ignite the propane gas needed to heat the water (when not on shore power). If you are calling for hot water (the water heater switches on), but the propane valve it closed, the light will stay illuminated. If you want hot water, plug into shore power or open your propane valve. If the valve is open, you may have a problem with your water heater igniter.

However, your body of the thread talked about water pump switches. In any event, on our coach, there is no water pump on/off indicator in the cabinet you reference. Each water pump switch has a green on/off LED. There are WP switches at the kitchen sink, in the bathroom(S) and in the wet bay.

Hope that between my to explanations that I answered your question.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Those are the only switches on mine. Since it is a three-way switch system, the only switch on mine with a definitive on and off position is in the wet bay.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Those are the only switches on my DS. Regarding the red light that's for the propane heater not the pump.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Water Pump switch

I want to apologize. In the thread I meant Water pump switch. The water pump switch in upper cabinet next to Tank level indicators lights is illuminated even when off. I've checked the water pump switch in water bay and its off. I also have a water pump switch in the toilet room and its off. Some of you have stated you have a water pump switch in the kitchen area. Can you tell me the location of the switch. And yes the water pump switch may be green, I'm color blind
Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
I want to apologize. In the thread I meant Water pump switch. The water pump switch in upper cabinet next to Tank level indicators lights is illuminated even when off. I've checked the water pump switch in water bay and its off. I also have a water pump switch in the toilet room and its off. Some of you have stated you have a water pump switch in the kitchen area. Can you tell me the location of the switch. And yes the water pump switch may be green, I'm color blind

Would you be able to take a pic of this red LED and attach it to this thread? Is this switch labeled "water pump"? Several of us have a red LED indicator in that cabinet, but this is for the hot water heater propane igniter. I don't have a water pump switch in my front cabinet. I was an early responder to your question. A picture may help us...help you.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In my 2005 Northern Star I have a switch in the overhead panel, and switches in the wet bay, toilet room and above the lavatory sink. If any of them are on the pump is on, I know the PO was prone to doing extra wiring (I've been un-doing those that I found to be a hazard) so the switch over the lavatory sink may be an add on.

Hope that helps.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Water Pump switch over door

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Would you be able to take a pic of this red LED and attach it to this thread? Is this switch labeled "water pump"? Several of us have a red LED indicator in that cabinet, but this is for the hot water heater propane igniter. I don't have a water pump switch in my front cabinet. I was an early responder to your question. A picture may help us...help you.
The picture is hard to see the green light (color blind) for the water pump Its on
Old 01-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Pic

This is the water pump switch above door
Old 01-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Picture

I don't know what's wrong. I downloaded picture of switch and file came up but didn't post?????
Old 01-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
I don't know what's wrong. I downloaded picture of switch and file came up but didn't post?????

If the pic is too large, it won't post. I don't recall the size limitations.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #12

Our coach is not nearby. So I went to the internet to grab a pic. Water heater propane switch looks sort of like this (ours is black). The LED illuminates when the propane igniter is active and goes out once the flame is lighted (when the switch is in the on position).

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1485110352.621140.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  69.9 KB

If you are not plugged into shore power and this switch is on AND you do not have the propane valve open (meaning no gas is getting to your water heater), the igniter will light and stay lighted. Don't ask me how I know 🤓.

Is this the switch that you are talking about?
Old 01-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
If you are not plugged into shore power and this switch is on AND you do not have the propane valve open (meaning no gas is getting to your water heater), the igniter will light and stay lighted. Don't ask me how I know ��.
If there is no gas getting to the water heater when you turn that switch ON the indicator light will illuminate and the ignitor will try to light the burner.
However because there is no gas to the burner the burner will not/can not fire... and the indicator light will stay illuminated.

If/when the switch is in the ON position the indicator light will say on until:
1.) The WH burner fires.
2.) The switch is turned OFF.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
If there is no gas getting to the water heater when you turn that switch ON the indicator light will illuminate and the ignitor will try to light the burner.
However because there is no gas to the burner the burner will not/can not fire... and the indicator light will stay illuminated.

If/when the switch is in the ON position the indicator light will say on until:
1.) The WH burner fires.
2.) The switch is turned OFF.

Exactly! I think the OP may be confusing this switch with his water PUMP switch. Just waiting for him to either send us a pic of his switch, or maybe get some answers from those that have responded.

Tags
heat, heater, switch, water, water heater