Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Water in storage bays?

Much of our three-week stay at Nappanee was spent trying to stop water intrusion into the storage bays when driving in the rain. It is coming in via the frame rails.

Despite the efforts of the Newmar service techs, when we hit heavy rain in Minnesota, we had a significant amount of water in the bays at the end of the day. Anyone else having this problem? Cure?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Are your cargo bay doors closing tightly? You may need to retract the coach side bracket so the door is more securely latched compressing the gasket better. The question is what is the path of the water? Is it getting through the basement door gasket?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Are your cargo bay doors closing tightly? You may need to retract the coach side bracket so the door is more securely latched compressing the gasket better. The question is what is the path of the water? Is it getting through the basement door gasket?
No, the doors are sealing OK. The water is coming in along the frame rails and running down into the bays.

TJ
Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just curious; How was it addressed at the factory?
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Just curious; How was it addressed at the factory?
They pulled all the holding tanks and “sealed along the frame rails. Also sealed the seams of the wheel well liners. Obviously, there is another entry point.

TJ
Old 06-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Jim,
Thinking about a year ago, GaryKD had them install rear wheel thick plastic wheel well liner's to try and stop this problem.
My 2000 MA has had this problem when I bought it in 2009 and believe it had the problem from new......still trying to fix it and the well liner's are my next try at stopping this water intrusion.
A shield piece has to added to these on the inside to shield frame rail's. My driver's side leaks, passenger side OK.
Maybe Gary will chime in on this.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel well liner.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	250994  
Old 06-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim....take a look at the frame rails in the generator compartment. I've used them in the past to route wiring from the generator compartment to the bays, it's a clear shot. Is it a lot of water, or just dripping? Maybe it's getting thrown up from the front tires and into those frame rails.

Maybe shooting some foam insulation into the frame rail openings near the generator will seal it up. A test might be to tape a bunch of plastic around those frame rails, temporarily sealing them to see if this solves the issue.

One other spot...…. I know you have the Spartan Chassis, but on the Freightliner chassis, if you crawl underneath and look up directly behind the fuel tank, there is a large opening. All of my Freightliner under carriage, back to the rear axles is sealed with a pan, except this opening. It's so large, I use to use it on my 2014 DS to store a blue toilet tote (30" size) in that opening. I believe the frame rails are also exposed there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jim....take a look at the frame rails in the generator compartment. I've used them in the past to route wiring from the generator compartment to the bays, it's a clear shot. Is it a lot of water, or just dripping? Maybe it's getting thrown up from the front tires and into those frame rails.

Maybe shooting some foam insulation into the frame rail openings near the generator will seal it up. A test might be to tape a bunch of plastic around those frame rails, temporarily sealing them to see if this solves the issue.

One other spot...…. I know you have the Spartan Chassis, but on the Freightliner chassis, if you crawl underneath and look up directly behind the fuel tank, there is a large opening. All of my Freightliner under carriage, back to the rear axles is sealed with a pan, except this opening. It's so large, I use to use it on my 2014 DS to store a blue toilet tote (30" size) in that opening. I believe the frame rails are also exposed there.
Don:

Just went out and looked at the frame rails as you suggested. They appear pretty well shielded from spray by the generator, but when I get the chance, I am going to try and seal them with spray foam, plastic, or something similar. Thanks for the thought. We are at a campground near Devil's Tower, Wyoming, so will have to postpone crawling under the coach to look for the open area you describe.

The good news is that we drove through a couple of moderate rain showers today and the bays are dry. When we have experienced the water intrusion, it has been during some real gully-washers. Looks like anything but sustained heavy rain is being blocked.

TJ
Old 06-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim.....I did my first service today on the coach, so I was under there looking at everything. The front frame rails by the generator would probably be tough to get some water from there to a bay. You didn't say what bays were getting wet, front or back.

As I was lubing the driveshaft, I made sure to look to see if your issue could be from the frame rails at the duals. Newmar seals them with a plastic cover and then covers most of it with a dark silicone. I could see that if the frame rails were not sealed well, during construction, they could allow some water to go forward.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jim.....I did my first service today on the coach, so I was under there looking at everything. The front frame rails by the generator would probably be tough to get some water from there to a bay. You didn't say what bays were getting wet, front or back.

As I was lubing the driveshaft, I made sure to look to see if your issue could be from the frame rails at the duals. Newmar seals them with a plastic cover and then covers most of it with a dark silicone. I could see that if the frame rails were not sealed well, during construction, they could allow some water to go forward.
It's the pegboard bay and adjacent half-bay, both on the passenger side...obviously. The work Newmar did in Nappanee was to completely seal the frame rails along the lower edge...stem to stern. That's why they pulled all the holding tanks, wet bay, pegboard, etc.

I'll keep looking for entry points.

TJ
Old 06-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay.....then look at the frame rails between the drive axle and the first bay (pegboard). That's where I was looking this afternoon. There is about a foot of open rail before it disappears into the water bay wall. Newmar puts a plastic cover over the open side of the "C" channel frame and then uses sealer to seal the rest of the area. I could see that as a water intrusion point.

Maybe get in there with a can of Flex Seal and spray the heck out of it, especially at the top of the rail.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
It's the pegboard bay and adjacent half-bay, both on the passenger side...obviously. The work Newmar did in Nappanee was to completely seal the frame rails along the lower edge...stem to stern. That's why they pulled all the holding tanks, wet bay, pegboard, etc.

TJ
I had water coming in to the electrical compartment under the driver's seat. Finally pulled the latch cover off and discovered the insulation was wet. Water was leaking in Pulled the latch and resealed it and it's been dry since.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post

TJ
Jim - do you still have rain water leaking into the bays? Yesterday, for the second time I’ve found water on top of the bins that are under the frame rail in the bay forward of the pegboard compartment. I also noticed that the pegboard was wet at the bottom aft corner. I’m thinking I may have the same issue that Newmar took care of for you.

Based on the work that Newmar did on your coach, do you think it’s possible to seal around the rails where they enter pegboard bay from the rear? I’m trying to decide whether to tackle this problem myself or have Newmar pull all the tanks, etc. I’m also considering other options such as adding a wheel well insert. I’m completely open to options at this point. Also, I haven’t yet confirmed how the water is entering. Perhaps I’ll pull the pegboard and spray water from the rear wheel well area onto the rails and look for it to enter the basement.

Did you find another source of the water, such as the rails up near the generator?
Old 02-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #14

I am having the same issues as TJ.....pegboard wet, mid compartments on passenger side, electrical bay under driver. I had our 2020 Ventana out to Newmar for 2 weeks to fix leaks. The leaks coming from rear wheel well behind peg board. Mid compartments leaking from the rail. The techs have been doing a good job trying to find out how to rectify. Closing up holes in compartments and along the rails. I received call today to let me know I can pick up coach so plan to do that on Sunday. It's suppose to rain coming home (to PA) so will find out if I have more leaks.
Agilitydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, water