RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #1

Water Leak

Having problems with a water leak that I have not been able to pin point. We
have an 04 Dutchstar 4-slide. The roof seams have been resealed and the end cap has been resealed. The water is showing up as wet carpet, just behind the passenger slide-out in the bedroom. The water seems to be coming in from the bottom edge of he slide out spreading from there into the rear cabinet. I cannot see any visible sign of damage to the slide-out seal. Any suggestion for finding the source would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #2

Check the rubber seals first ( make sure they overlap at the bottom) then check all the seams on the box of slide, top sides corners, face, especially the face. When standing outside facing your slide out, the finished face will have a frame around it. You can check with a credit card if there are any gaps in the silicone. Myself I would get some clear silicone and go to town. That leak can be anywhere on that box they call a slide so be aggressive and don't focus on just the rubber seals. Check every seam or line on that box.

Perhaps you can reproduce the leak with a garden hose each area one at a time.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Is it consistant? Could it be water on the roof and after you close the slide and move it runs off the roof down the slide and onto the floor? We had what we thought was a water leak at the pass font slide, but it was the water on the roof running off.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #4

If you havent considered it....a trip to Newmar every 2 to 3 years and have them do a pressure test. They can spot every leaking place even before you've seen evidence. We've done it once a couple of years ago and plan to do it again next year. Keeps our home leak free. Cost about $250, but well worth it to us.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #5

Had a leak around my bedroom slide on my '05 Dutch Star. I was getting wet carpet after rains. Problem turned out to be the outside seam of the box. As previous people have stated go to town with the clear silcone. I did that and no more problems.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Appreciate all the suggestions. We have a slide topper on that slide and the leak is occurring while parked with the slide out. Rubber seal looks real good, but still could be the source. Will check all the seals on the box itself. We will be heading north and west in a month, might swing by Newmar for a pressure test if I can't pin it down before then.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by heybc View Post
Appreciate all the suggestions. We have a slide topper on that slide and the leak is occurring while parked with the slide out. Rubber seal looks real good, but still could be the source. Will check all the seals on the box itself. We will be heading north and west in a month, might swing by Newmar for a pressure test if I can't pin it down before then.
How level is your coach when you have the leak? I had a leak at the rear corner of the BR slide much as you described (had to take the end table off to confirm the source), but only when parked at home. Turns out that the RV was a little off level, the passenger side was down a bit, and the water was finding it's way past the slide topper onto the roof and behind the seal (there's a big space between the seals, at least on ours). Leveling better cured the problem!

Good Luck!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. Think I may have found the source. Ran the slide out in and sprayed the gap on that side with a garden house while my wife watched along the gasket from inside the coach. No water was coming in past the rubber gasket. Just when I was going to quit run the slide out and try again, she spotted water seeping in at the bottom corner right through what appears to be sealant along the bottom under the slide. Going to remove the exterior bottom trim under the slide and take a look. Bought some Sikaflex 715 and will reseal the entire area.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When your slide is open peel side seal on slide at bottom corner where leak is and make sure there is a buildup of sealant in that corner of slide on the bottom side rail of slide. Another corner may show you where it should be at what level.
The sealant may have pealed off from surface at bottom corner of slide.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

Took off the side and bottom trim pieces and sealed the heck out of it. My slide seems to be off center about 1/4 ". Seal compresses a lot more on the side opposite the leak. That side also had more sealant at the edge. Tomorrow will test again and if all is good will re-silicone the trim pieces. Removal of the trim was fairly easy, but cleaning off all the old silicone was a real pain.