Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

Water leak in Pegboard bay

We have a water leak in our pegboard bay on a 2016 Ventana 4369. The water comes in from the top left, where the plastic barrier is open to allow the hot and cold water lines to travel to the rear of the coach. We drove in a lot of rain on Saturday and it was still wet between the insulation and the plastic on Thursday. The pegboard has been removed and after driving today, more water was in there and it was cool (outside temp was in the 90s). Any idea where it would be coming from?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	209721  
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a very well known and common issue that I'm baffled Newmar has failed to correct. I had this issue, it's coming in through the wheel well. Newmar fixed mine under warranty and took quite a few hours of labor to install deflectors in the wheel wells.

Do you know how to raise the rear wheel tire panel? There are three screws on the bottom, just remove those then you can lift the hinged panel out and up. Prop it up with something sturdy. Then you can figure out a course of action to correct. I'd consider one of the spray foam products. Spray/seal the top edge of the wheel well, forward side.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

On our 18 London Aire we had both of the grey lines leading to grey tank crack and had many gallons of grey water spill behind the peg board. A big mess and a lot of work to repair and replace these grey sewer lines. It looks like at the factory the clamps to hold the pipes in place were adjusted to tight and damaged the pipes.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #4

Pegboard Bay water

Neal,

We had an early leak from the rear wheel well repaired within the first year of ownership and since we don't often drive in the rain (just good luck), we thought it was repaired (even had the water damaged pegboard replaced).

Based on your experience, do you think enough water could get in there on a rainy day and still be there 5 days later?
Old 07-06-2018, 04:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes. My pegboard was soaked. Same here, usually avoid the rain.

I would be patient and monitor the situation. If you’re not driving in the rain and it remains dry you know it’s not some other leak source.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:33 AM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had leaks in both wheel wells when our coach was new. Newmar now has some type of fog machine for finding leaks. They pump smoke (fog?) into the basement and look for leaks coming out. Worked well for finding and repairing the leaks on our coach.

If you are going to try and fix it yourself, first thing to look at is any penetrations for wiring using the black plastic split wireway.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:58 AM   #7

Water Leak

I have water traveling down the passenger frame rail and leaking into the bay forward of the peg board bay. (May be in the peg board bay also. Have not removed the pegboard to look.) This happened when we drove in rain. It is rain water with road grime. It pooled on top of a plastic container and it is easy to see that it is not gray water.
I feel comfortable the root cause is the end of the frame was not sealed after Freightliner replaced my power steering hose. Did not have this problem prior to the PS hose replacement. Called the local Freightliner dealer and was told to bring it in "anytime" for them to take a look at it. Plan on showing up Monday. While there, I'll have then look at the cruise control since it quit working for about an hour going cross country. Gaffney said it may be the steering wheel module.
Local Freightliner dealer has been very understanding about being full-timers and do what they can to keep us out of a motel.
Be safe
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #8

This thread has me wondering if anyone has gone to the trouble of creating an easy to remove or even a hinged pegboard that could be easily opened to access the fluid tanks. What say ye?
Old 07-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
This thread has me wondering if anyone has gone to the trouble of creating an easy to remove or even a hinged pegboard that could be easily opened to access the fluid tanks. What say ye?
Sounds like a great idea! And I don't think it would be all that difficult either. I haven't needed access back there yet, but when I do, I'll probably add hinges and some kind of latching system for repeat "visits" back there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #10

Pegboard bay leak update

Turned off city water and water pump last night and turned on a faucet to reduce the water pressure in the lines.

This morning, the insulation in the basement ceiling above the Pegboard Bay is still wet (and the water is cool, almost cold). Is there a possibility the condensation from the roof ACs could be leaking into the ceiling and then running down the vent pipes?

Note: on a Ventana, the AC condensation runs out on the roof and then into the gutters (it does not have the hoses that channel it to underneath the RV like on the Dutch Star and above).
Old 07-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #11
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That insulation will stay wet for a long time. I would take it out in the area that it is wet until you can determine where the water is coming from. Did you check the trap in the half bath sink? Not sure what kind of lights you have in the ceiling, but if you take a light out you can see if there is any dampness in the ceiling from the AC. I think if you had water leaking in the air conditioner you would have water coming out the lights.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webz View Post
I have water traveling down the passenger frame rail and leaking into the bay forward of the peg board bay. (May be in the peg board bay also. Have not removed the pegboard to look.) This happened when we drove in rain. It is rain water with road grime.
Be safe
i have this exact problem on my 2018. it shorted out one of my girard awning controllers twice, before i realized it. spartan chassis, and like this from the get go from the factory. i also get water behind the metal pans that seal off the lower frame rails underneath the coach. after driving in the heavy rain, when parked with the passengers side front low, i get water running out of a screw that is not fully sealed, and has now turned into a weep hole....

called newmar, rep told me that this frame rail seal issue is a common one, and i have an apt at the factory in SEPT for them to drop the entire bottom two pans, re-insulate, and re seal.

i also had the pegboard leak...they are looking into that at the same time....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #13

Leak source found

After lots of searching, our water leak was found under the vanity floor in the rear bath. It was a pinhole leak in the cold water line.

First looked under the washing machine, which has a removable subfloor, but the floor under the sink does not come out - had to cut holes in it to inspect and then repair it.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #14

Found Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
After lots of searching, our water leak was found under the vanity floor in the rear bath. It was a pinhole leak in the cold water line.

First looked under the washing machine, which has a removable subfloor, but the floor under the sink does not come out - had to cut holes in it to inspect and then repair it.
Glad you found it. Was the leak at a connection or a defect in the line?
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak