Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Unhappy Water leak under shower pan

Well, these things make the RV lifestyle go from fun to suck in a minute. I want to share this to help others learn from this and learn from you as this isn't completely fixed yet. Moral is for now, find your inspection area to view under your shower pan and inspect it! Here's why.

Last June (2018) I did my final warranty work and a basement door replace thanks to my tail swing lesson. After that I noticed water in the left aft basement. I figured it was too much silicone on the channel above the basement and that it should have an opening on the back bottom to drain I may have filled in when they didn't silicone that area properly. I also tightened that bay door thinking the seal wasn't sealing. The water problem seem to stop.

Yesterday (now Sept 2019) I was doing something outside and noticed water under the engine area and I just started laundry so I wondered if when I had a whirlpool service they didn't connect something properly. Nope, pan under washer was dry, cabinet dry.

I pulled off the inspection area to view under the shower pan (also a furnace in there) (picture attached) and sure enough I have water dripping as I had just taken a shower. Now the question is how to access the plumbing. I grabbed my channel locks as they are the largest/longest pliers I own and tried moving things around tightening. Nope, not helping. I then figured it was the chrome drain thing in the shower pan itself so I started rotating that. Keeping this two day saga short, that is the problem area. Probably a combination of the plumbing not being tight enough or coming loose, not sealed properly, or a gasket is bad.

I did learn that if I smash my face against the mirror I can reach this area with my arm. I had my neighbor (ARD) help me in trying to tighten the tub drain so she tighted from the inside and I held the plumbing from below. No luck.

I have a new shower drain kit coming to the next CG and hopefully that will fix it but I have things mitigated for now and the leak is minimal at best but I broke the prongs off the shower drain part so it needs to be replaced anyways.

So again, this leak has actually been going on over a year without my knowledge. Leaks are the biggest nightmare and sadly common occurrence in coaches, hence why Newmar installs these cosmic water shutoff systems in Essex and KA. To me that means you can't get your plumbing right so you mitigate it with a system to control your shutoff of areas which is unfortunate.

Inspect your plumbing and find your access area to look under your shower pan and inspect it. Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Oh, while sitting on the throne I realized I may be able to remove the engine access cover to get under the shower pan from that side which is shorter. Well, it was good to learn how to access that area and remove the bottom part of the cabinetry which pulls off with the same latches as your cabinet doors. But no, that area is sealed so it doesn't get you under the flooring. Sadly I chipped the porcelain pulling that hatch cover off before I learned of the cabinet part coming off. Live and learn yet again.

Oh the joys....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0714.png
Views:	83
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	261756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0716.png
Views:	175
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	261757  

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #2

Sounds like my DIY at times.
I break 3 things trying to fix 1.
Now I have 4 items to fix and Im tired and hungry [emoji848][emoji2955]
I just want to go home at times and mow the lawn again [emoji6][emoji41][emoji258]
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #3

Neal,
Thanks for the post, sounds like a good bit of advice. How does that heater core come out? Is it just loose or attached? Mine is right in front of the wooden grate (cover) and was just curious before I tackled this. Thanks!
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway4002 View Post
Neal,

Thanks for the post, sounds like a good bit of advice. How does that heater core come out? Is it just loose or attached? Mine is right in front of the wooden grate (cover) and was just curious before I tackled this. Thanks!

Super easy. Just cabinet screws. Phillips head.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Did you get a replacement drain from Newmar, hopefully it will come with instructions as whether or not to use thread sealant or silicon etc. Looking at the 2nd photo, I'm not exactly sure how the drain is installed. With your current access it will be difficult to replace, good luck.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Did you get a replacement drain from Newmar, hopefully it will come with instructions as whether or not to use thread sealant or silicon etc. Looking at the 2nd photo, I'm not exactly sure how the drain is installed. With your current access it will be difficult to replace, good luck.

I ordered a Moen from Amazon. We’ll see how things go. I watched a bit of YouTube on this to get educated on this setup.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #7

So sorry for your troubles! Nothing worse than being able to see a problem, and not really be able to get to it.

I had to change out a tub drain in my house; this tool was cheap & invaluable...

https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Tool...s%2C174&sr=8-4

Your drain might be configured a little differently; put “drain wrench” into Amazon’s search...there are a few varieties.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
One of those is coming too along with putty.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #9
jrs

Wow..... yes that does suck! Thanks for sharing.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #10

Neal if you order plumbers putty, I use to use that to but a plumber told me to use water proof 100% silicone. It works I never have had another drain leak
Billwainscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwainscot View Post
Neal if you order plumbers putty, I use to use that to but a plumber told me to use water proof 100% silicone. It works I never have had another drain leak
I have that on there now and will see how it works. I agree, it seems it would do better. Thanks...
Old 09-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The leak is fixed. Before I left earlier I put silicone inside the drain between the shower drain (chrome) bottom and the pipe it connects to which is where I think the leak was happening. Now to keep a close eye on it.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just hasn't been your week (entry step and coach level). Maybe time to get that new Essex sooner than later!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:47 AM   #14

Neal,
The grate has 4 screws holding it on to the wall. My question is how to move the heater core from just inside the grate. In your pictures your heater core is a good foot outside the enclosure. Is that just screwed into the flooring with cabinet screws then?
Thanks,
Mike
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, shower, water, water leak