Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #1

Water leaks into your storage bays 2005

This may have been covered before, but I must warn my fellow Newmar owners. I have an '05 KS that had a leak into the storage bays. After 2 trips to Newmar and much $$$ spent, it was determined that Newmar stopped putting wheel liners on the back duals during that period in 2005, and water migrated onto the chassis frame and into the storage compartments. I have now seen this in 4 different coaches of that vintage. Look at the storage bays, especially the bay in front of the duals [TV or peg-board bay]. Look on the bottom carpet for evidence of water staining, and if you see even a little, you got a problem. It only happened while driving in rain, not parked in rain. I think this is a common problem that Newmar is hiding. As I said before, I had it and now I have seen it in other coaches of that vintage. They have repaired it [after 2 trips to Newmar]and replaced the damaged floor, and added wheel liners, and recaulked around the chassis beams, but it was poor construction from the beginning. Look at your beams for evidence of rust / water, and check after driving in the rain. I have seen it on Kountry Stars and Dutch Stars of the 2005 era. Gary KD, look closely at your coach, and Thanks for all your advice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Spray rubber......

Had the same frame rail leak, over time and with the condition of our highways, Newmars seal leaked ,......solved the leak though.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flex seal.png
Views:	303
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	60227  
Old 04-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #3

Sleepy:

Thanks for the update. I have a 2005 DS and will check this out. Appreciate your post.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Sleepy will add your thread to QT's # 3, this has come up before but could not find in search engine, will add in Leaks issues.
It will now in search and QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #5

Is this unique to the KS or does it include other models? Gas, diesel or both? Can you buy the wheel liners to correct this? If you were looking to buy a 2005 KS, would this be a show stopper?

Sorry for all the questions but I am preparing to buy a 2005 KS gas so this obviously caught my eye.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think it was a problem for some of the coach's of that time look in compartments and chassis framing for rust or stains and if coach was traveled in winter there will be rust unless previous owner sprayed undercoat to resist salts and road grime.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #7

Just to let everyone know our old 2008 didn't have wheel wells in it and we had water coming in everywhere we took it back to Newmar and they installed the wheel wells.
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I think it was a problem for some of the coach's of that time look in compartments and chassis framing for rust or stains and if coach was traveled in winter there will be rust unless previous owner sprayed undercoat to resist salts and road grime.
Current owner doesn't use it in the winter, he stores it and flies to his winter home in AZ. So salt shouldn't be an issue.

What are the compartment floors made of, are they wood or easily replaceable?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #9

I would bet there are many Newmars that have this issue simply because it is so hard to detect. It is typically in the fresh / gray / black tank bay in front of the duals. I first noticed a discoloration on the flooring carpet in that bay. After removing my pegboard [in some models it will be a TV], it was very wet and I am sure mold had set in. Before I purchased a Newmar [ any model], I would check all bays for water invasion from any source, and look at the chassis beams for signs of rust. It is a dirty little secret Newmar knows about, but they are not telling you!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Chassis rails, under framing will have rust on any motor home in time if you want to keep it looking like new you can spray undercoating every year if you have the time or stay in sunny dry climates.
You will have to clean off what rust it collected just sitting around first though.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I would bet there are many Newmars that have this issue simply because it is so hard to detect. It is typically in the fresh / gray / black tank bay in front of the duals. I first noticed a discoloration on the flooring carpet in that bay. After removing my pegboard [in some models it will be a TV], it was very wet and I am sure mold had set in. Before I purchased a Newmar [ any model], I would check all bays for water invasion from any source, and look at the chassis beams for signs of rust. It is a dirty little secret Newmar knows about, but they are not telling you!
Is yours a diesel or gas? I have added this along with a few other things to my inspection list when I check the unit out. Any photos would be helpful as well if you have them as this is my first RV purchase so definitely on a learning curve.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
This problem has been known for some time and discussed here on iRV2. I did what palehorse89 posted. Flex Seal works great. Solved the problem with a minimum of muss and fuss.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
We are at a B&B and our coach is supposed to be finished tomorrow with the basement repairs hub about in this thread. They installed new floors, wall, and carpet. They sealed all the seams and undercoated the area around the wheels. I think ours leaked from day one. The way they fixed it now, it should easily be good for the life of the coach. I'm real happy with the repairs.
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #14

What actually are the wheel wells that you are talking about, can someone send a picture of where the water is coming in at because I have the same issue with my 2014 Ventana.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, storage, water, water leak