RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Water Pooling on Roof

The only good news is that there's no evidence of water damage inside but there's been water intrusion up top via a two decent size holes in the rubber roof.

I've got a tarp up so the plywood will dry.

One problem is the roof is now sunken in this area and new water will pool.

Can I use several layers of Eternabond (or some other product) to build it up a bit?

I'm afraid the answer is pulling the roof up and potentially replacing some of the plywood. It seems really soft to me.

FWIW - I have no idea what was previously installed in all of these places where it's all patched up.

I'd really appreciate any opinions. I'm in a seemingly never ending string of problems with this purchase and it's wearing on me. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	260336

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #2

Unfortunately you're looking a quite a mess .

JMHO : This looks like the OEM satellite dome was removed ; from where your scissors are; another system installed further forward then also removed . Possible the rectangle area was the factory chassis battery solar panel.

As far as repair method , Etenabond tape comes in a number of widths , so whatever you're happy with .

JMHO: After you get this section watertight , go over the whole roof with several coats of sealant .

I just had to do mine this spring. White layer of the roof was showing grey from the black second layer. .

Old 09-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Unfortunately you're looking a quite a mess .
Yeah, I am worried I have a nice big $10K mess although I can't really re-roof right now so hopefully I can limp this along.

I've got a 4" or 6" roll so I should be able to cover it fairly well.

I have the old records of a dealer removing the dome about 10 years ago and there's a folding style replacement mid cabin now. The solar panel is also just a little farther back from this picture.

I guess I am just going to eternabond over everything that is suspect but probably won't do that for a few days. I assume more drying time is better than less. I'll start cleaning tomorrow and secure a tarp better than I have right now.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #4

How about looking into using Flex Seal rubber repair. I have experimented with it a little bit with good results. Just a thought
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You've got a number of issues. I would buy a 4' x 8' sheet of aluminum. Diagram where the components are on the aluminum sheet, cut holes for the cables and airlines and place the sheet over the entire area and seal the for edges with eternabond. You'll strengthen your soft spot, eliminate the pooling and solve all your leak issues. When done, spray it white or use a white sealant over the aluminum.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks. Some really good ideas here. I had not thought of covering the section of BriteTek.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Water Pooling on Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinFL View Post
The only good news is that there's no evidence of water damage inside but there's been water intrusion up top via a two decent size holes in the rubber roof.

I've got a tarp up so the plywood will dry.

One problem is the roof is now sunken in this area and new water will pool.

Can I use several layers of Eternabond (or some other product) to build it up a bit?

I'm afraid the answer is pulling the roof up and potentially replacing some of the plywood. It seems really soft to me.

FWIW - I have no idea what was previously installed in all of these places where it's all patched up.

I'd really appreciate any opinions. I'm in a seemingly never ending string of problems with this purchase and it's wearing on me. Thanks.

Attachment 260336

I had to bite the bullet this summer and have my roof replaced on 43ft Ventana. Many of same issues, low spots, leaks, 10 years of wear, previous owner got taken on roof treatment,,,
If you were traveling west anytime in the near future it would pay you to check out Superior RV, Marionville, Missouri. They did mine and were happy. $7500. They replaced all decking with thicker zipboard and heavier rubber membrane. All new vents, skylight, antennas,,,
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0410.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	260466
Old 09-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky573 View Post
I had to bite the bullet this summer and have my roof replaced on 43ft Ventana. Many of same issues, low spots, leaks, 10 years of wear, previous owner got taken on roof treatment,,,
If you were traveling west anytime in the near future it would pay you to check out Superior RV, Marionville, Missouri. They did mine and were happy. $7500. They replaced all decking with thicker zipboard and heavier rubber membrane. All new vents, skylight, antennas,,,
Attachment 260466
That is a nice looking roof.

Just curious, how you know when it's time to replace it? Is that when I can't prevent it from leaking inside? I'm going to remove my TV from the cabinet so I can try to get a look beyond the soft ceiling to see if there's damage I can't see yet.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Water Pooling on Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinFL View Post
That is a nice looking roof.

Just curious, how you know when it's time to replace it? Is that when I can't prevent it from leaking inside? I'm going to remove my TV from the cabinet so I can try to get a look beyond the soft ceiling to see if there's damage I can't see yet.

You should be able to see water spotting in ceiling panels if you have serious damage. I did have water spots but some of the screws holding valances above front seats had rust from being wet.
I just got tired of chasing leaks and there were two spots around front and rear AC’s that felt like you’d go through the roof if you stepped on them. You could tell the decking beneath was rotted. Rather than patch those spots ( about 4’x4’ each) I’d replace roof.
BTW, my mistake on the name of that replacement company. It’s Premium RV Roofing in Marionville, Missouri.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks, I will stop in there on my first trip across that part of the country.

Tags
roof, water