Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I picked up my coach from Newmar this morning. I had a conversation w/an very experienced employee. They are training this week so it seems that every engineer and techie at Newmar are around. I committed to not reveal the source.

Every Newmar Coach is tested to 80 psi. This tech also said that 100 psi is the spec for the material they buy.

He said it has been this way for some time. He also said the reason they do that is that repair of plumbing is one of the most expensive things they can do.

His words were, there shouldn't be any campgrounds that can blow the system. (Although I do know the Nashville Jellystone Park is at or above 100 psi on many days.)

BTW, the tolerance of freezing is also very high. Elbows are the biggest vulnerability but, usually in a more convenient place for repair.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I picked up my coach from Newmar this morning. I had a conversation w/an very experienced employee. They are training this week so it seems that every engineer and techie at Newmar are around. I committed to not reveal the source.

Every Newmar Coach is tested to 80 psi. This tech also said that 100 psi is the spec for the material they buy.

He said it has been this way for some time. He also said the reason they do that is that repair of plumbing is one of the most expensive things they can do.

His words were, there shouldn't be any campgrounds that can blow the system. (Although I do know the Nashville Jellystone Park is at or above 100 psi on many days.)

BTW, the tolerance of freezing is also very high. Elbows are the biggest vulnerability but, usually in a more convenient place for repair.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

I heard the '08 MADP was also bulletproof...

CHICKEN!!

Just teasin ya!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #4

I think the person who you are quoting is out of his depth somewhat. Motorhomes must be built to ANSI A119.2 to receive the RVIA seal and in many states to be certified to build/sell etc. ANSI A119.2 spells out the material as well as test process/pressures for everything from electrical to plumbing. I can't find my ANSI A119.2 copy tonight- its not in its proper location so someone must have borrowed and either not returned or put it away wrong. Any one out there with a copy should be able to give the official requirements. I seem to recall that test pressurr had to be higher than 80 psi.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
cwg

I was also told at the factory that they pretest the plumbing at 100 PSI. But what I do not understand is why there are so many leaks in the plumbing lines? I have had several fixed at various places - selling dealer, factory, and lastly the dealer where we now are. They have all occured at different places in the outside plumbing bay, but I have always had a 45 PSI restrictor on the water line ahead of the hose reel.

The water flow at some parks is so slow that several people have removed their restrictors to improve the quantity of flow. Of course, we can always use the water pump to improve the flow, and that uses water from the tank.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwg:
I was also told at the factory that they pretest the plumbing at 100 PSI. But what I do not understand is why there are so many leaks in the plumbing lines? I have had several fixed at various places - selling dealer, factory, and lastly the dealer where we now are. They have all occured at different places in the outside plumbing bay, but I have always had a 45 PSI restrictor on the water line ahead of the hose reel.

The water flow at some parks is so slow that several people have removed their restrictors to improve the quantity of flow. Of course, we can always use the water pump to improve the flow, and that uses water from the tank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I have found my copy of the ANSI A119.2.
Paragraph 4-9.1.1.Pressurized Piping System Test states:
---------------------------------------------
The test shall be performed by subjectting the pressure water piping system to either air or water pressure for 10 minutes without leakage or loss of pressure by:

(a) Filling the entire plumbing system including the hot water storage tank and the pressurized potable water storage tank with air or water at 100 psi +_ 5 psi

(b)------ I'll get lazy and not type the whole thing but it simply allows the builder to remove the water storage tank and potable water tank and test the balance of the system at 100psi +- 5 psi

This paragraph does not apply if PVC or CPVC is used. They must be tested per (a) or the manufacturers test procedure.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
cwg, have the leaks happened with your new Essex or a previous coach? Being in water bay and if compartment access holes are open for hosing, during a freeze the heater can not heat fast enough to keep plumbing from freezing. Your the first I have heard with this problem.
On mine with winter option and fan motor on plumbing and tanks are toasty warm as long as access hole is closed.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:21 AM   #8

We have an 07 Essex. We have also had many leaks in the manubloc assembly in the bay. Right now we have a pretty good leak going, but since we're going to be at the factory 4/2 we'll wait until then to solve it. This leak occured when the coach was sitting in SW Florida. Temps are typically in the 80's, but last week were cooler.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
cwg

The leaks are all on the new Essex. So far there have been at least four. The original was at the manabloc, the others on either side of intake area after the hose comes off the reel, both before and after the water filter. The coach has never been in cold weather.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I just wanted to update everyone that I have not used any water pressure restrictions over the past year without incident. Even at places like Disney where the pressure is very high.

The only restriction I have is a 5 micron carbon filter that would probably reduce pressure by 5 lbs or so.

The benefit has been great water pressure in the coach.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #11

We NEVER have used water restrictors in over ten years traveling from Mexico to Alaska-no problem! We also changed out the full water system filter to allow for less restriction and changed out the 3.2 GPM pump to the 5.7 GPM pump for higher pressure when drycamping.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #12

The water hose (white) burst on my coach, after having been hooked up for 3 weeks at Eagle View RV Park @ Fort McDowell last summer. I was sent a new hose, stayed for 2 more weeks, and have had no other issues regarding it.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #13

A friend with a Dutch Star showed me something interesting. He had a pressure gauge connected inboard so it showed the water pressure in the plumbing system. Using a pressure regulator on the hose he turned on the campground faucet and filled his plumbing system to 40 psi, then he disconnected the hose.

Several minutes later we checked the inboard gauge and it was still 40 psi indicating he had no leaks. The water in the water heater was cool water from the campgrounds supply. He turned on the water heater and the pressure started climbing and reached 70 psi before the water heater shut off.

I had no idea the water heater, expanding water, would raise the pressure 30 psi. I had noticed after taking a shower a few minutes later when I turned on a faucet or flushed the toilet I get a quick burst of water before it went back to normal flow. Now I know it is the water expanding as it is heated.

So if I connect to campground water that is 70 psi I know the water in the system can expand to 100 psi. I just thought this was interesting.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
That is really interesting. I presume the on demand systems wouldn't have that condition as the water is heated as used so there is a pressure release at the point of use.