RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Not a bad idea! However, I'd probably forget to do that more than I would forget to remove the pressure regulator when I disconnect to leave a site.

TJ
Nah, you’d get use to it. I turn the water off every time we leave. And since we fulltime, It’s part of our routine. We’ve had a leak once and fortunately we were at the coach when it happened. Now it’s just part of leaving the coach.

Flanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Turn your water off at the spigot, prior to leaving, and you won’t have this issue. It will also limit the possibility of a leak within the coach while your gone!
When we were in our last fiver (also full timing) I always turned the water off when we were going to be away for most of the day. Then I got to thinking, does this make any sense, I certainly don't turn it off overnight?

About the only time I will turn it off now is if we are away from the coach for 24 hours or more.

FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:40 AM   #31

I don’t either, but if a leak was to happen, we’ll guess what, I’m at the coach to turn it off. So that’s why I turn it off when I leave my coach. I don’t depend on others to monitor my coach.

Sometimes you need to think about how to limit or reduce your exposure to problems that can cause damage. When my leak took place and I wasn’t around, well the damage would have been extensive.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #32

Guess my thinking is a leak could just as easily happen between 11pm and 6am as it could in the middle of the afternoon while I'm away from the coach. If a leak started inside my coach at 2am it certainly would not wake me up, unless I was getting out of bed and stepped in 2 inches of water.

I haven't modified anything or messed with any of my coach's plumbing. My extra filters and softener are all mounted/maintained outside the coach. So far after 12,000 miles of bumpy roads and 22 months of full timing no leaks in the old Newmar. Heck, if I turned my water supply off every time I left my coach and then turned it on upon returning that is all I would be doing all day!
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My Watts pressure regulator is mounted at the city water input in my wet bay. Zero problems. I have the Watts dialed down to 55#.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Nah, you’d get use to it. I turn the water off every time we leave. And since we fulltime, It’s part of our routine. We’ve had a leak once and fortunately we were at the coach when it happened. Now it’s just part of leaving the coach.
Same here.... when we leave, I turn off the water... just ingrained in me now, just like locking the door. At the onset, I did forget a few times, but now it's just part of the routine. Last month, I decided to turn off the water prior to going to bed. That's gotten to be routine now.

So, when did this start ? Maybe 15 yrs ago, we were at a CG and went to the races. Got back about 10 hours later and walked past the bathroom onto a soggy carpet. One of the faucets in the bathroom hadn't been turned off completely and had filled the grey tank and had just started to overflow the shower. Only a bit wet, so no big deal, put some fans on it and it was dried out by morning, but I learned my lesson. Then a couple years later we were walking back to our MH after an afternoon of paddling kayaks and I saw water pouring out of the door of a nearby RV. Who knows how long that was going on for. I'm sure it was ruined. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, a RV pulled into the site next to us... they set up and went out to the park.
A few hours later, I was sitting outside and noticed water pouring out from one of their slides. I turned it off and left them a note. Never did get to talk to them , but again, I'm sure there was significant damage.

I do have a 12v electric ball valve with a RF key fob controller that I'll eventually install, that way, no need to walk out to the pedestal. Push the button and that's it.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water Pressure Regulator Location

I solved the forgetting part by tightening the watt meter to the hose with a wrench. Can't forget it since I can't get it off by hand. That also slows, but doesn't stop the thief. I am not thoroughly impressed with Watt.

Anyone have their Watt regulator die?. Within 2 years I went to check the pressure and the needle was pegged to the right. The park pressure was only 60 psi. I removed the regulator and bought a cheap one from the camp store, which noticeable reduced the pressure at the faucet. I ordered a new one from Amazon -it doesn't even look new.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I solved the forgetting part by tightening the watt meter to the hose with a wrench. Can't forget it since I can't get it off by hand. That also slows, but doesn't stop the thief. I am not thoroughly impressed with Watt.

Anyone have their Watt regulator die?. Within 2 years I went to check the pressure and the needle was pegged to the right. The park pressure was only 60 psi. I removed the regulator and bought a cheap one from the camp store, which noticeable reduced the pressure at the faucet. I ordered a new one from Amazon -it doesn't even look new.
Depending on the regulator that you have you can buy a “rebuild” kit for it. I did this twice and found the regulator to be a pain after both rebuild kits. I end up getting a couple years, maybe three, out of the tiny RV regulator and plumbed in a residential one.

Since I did this my water pressure and flow have been outstanding. But this only works if the pressure that the campground provides is 55psi or greater. I’ve set the regulator to provide 55psi to our coach.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Depending on the regulator that you have you can buy a “rebuild” kit for it. I did this twice and found the regulator to be a pain after both rebuild kits. I end up getting a couple years, maybe three, out of the tiny RV regulator and plumbed in a residential one.

Since I did this my water pressure and flow have been outstanding. But this only works if the pressure that the campground provides is 55psi or greater. I’ve set the regulator to provide 55psi to our coach.
What happens if the pressure is less than 55psi?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:31 AM   #38
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
What happens if the pressure is less than 55psi?
You get what ever the pressure is. If it's 30 psi, you'll get 30 psi.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:05 AM   #39

Thumbs down

I installed a watts pressure regulator at my house 10 years ago after replacing every water Solenoid valve in every water appliance I owned. Last year I sprung a leak in my RV and I have not checked my water pressure because of the in line pressure regulator I installed earlier. I decided to buy a nice RV water pressure regulator with a gauge. I was stunned to see the pressure at the hose bib at 130 psi. The whole house water pressure regulator had failed and it was automatically in bypass mode.
I had to crawl under the house, slither like a snake to replace the regulator. I decided then and there to take out the regulator under the house and install the new one in my yard below a sprinkle control box. I had to dig for about 1&1/2 hours to get to the supply line. I cut the 3/4 copper line and soldered in Shutoff ball valve with a drain, then a pressure gauge in a T fitting, a bypass line with a ball valve, the regulator with threaded couplers, and finally, another pressure gauge and another ball valve with drain. This way I can see the pressure drop across the regulator or remove it for service without shutting all water off. My old whole house gate valve has leaked past itself internally which made it difficult to solder my pipes anywhere in the house or yard because it always leaked a little water into the supply lines of the house and yard. The two new ball valves with drains allow me to valve off the regulator and repair it without having to drain the whole system first and the bypass for the regulator allows for service of the regulator without turning off the water for a long time.

These watts whole house regulators are good but they do fail and need service from time to time as evidenced by my story.

I also installed a permanent pressure gauge at the front hose bibs to see at a glance so I can monitor. the water pressure easily. Paul R. Haller
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You get what ever the pressure is. If it's 30 psi, you'll get 30 psi.
As I would assume, but the way it was written in that post following the flow comment seemed strange
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #41

The worst that can happen is the hose bursts or a hose fitting fails and you have a long snake flopping around outside your coach spraying water everywhere! Hopefully a neighbor will see that problem if you are not home and shut the water off!
Barryengleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #42

My hose blew once, before the regulator. I was gone, but a neighbor shut it off for me. But not before it d as damaged my trailer whipping around like an angry snake. Because of that, and the possibility of it happening at 2 am while sleeping, I'm regulating at the source now and forever.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, water, water pressure