Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
This is why I support iRV2. I also put the regulator at the faucet, to protect my hose was my thinking. I never thought about solar heating of the hose and the pressure increase it might cause after the regulator. My regulator will now be after the filter, just prior to the rig. This clue might have saved me the cost of many years of supporting iRV2.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #44

I read all the posts on the subject of the water regulator mounted inside the wet compartment. I have thought about mounting ours the way you did and it makes perfect sense to do that for 2 reasons ... It's locked up and no one can steal it. Not that anyone would but you never know. The second reason is I also thought about the pressure build up when the sun is beaming down on those hot days. I have personally seen this happen on heavy duty house hose before. My brother in law left his water on one day and went to work. Came home that afternoon and it was extremely hot that day. His water hose had swollen up and burst.water everywhere. I also had a neighbor do the same thing only I was outside when it burst. The hoses weren't cheap old hoses. With that in mind I have decided to go ahead and mount mine inside as well. I hope it never happens and might not I do not want to have water lines in our new RV bust and flood everything. Thanks for getting my brain working for a few minutes.
Stevemarshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #45
Community Administrator

I purchased a 200 psi hose at the same time I bought my watts regulator and installed the regulator in the wet bay. Never had any issues

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a fixed (55psi) restrictor at the pedestal, then my water filter and adjustable regulator at the wet bay- with the regulator on the output side.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #47

Huh?

I have been full time for 1.5 years. I have a regulator, not sure of the brand. It is installed at the park post. My hose goes directly into the fitting on the back of my class C. It is 108 index here today. I don't have a "wet" compartment. What should I do?
Homexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Today had an interesting observation. The water hose has a 20 foot run to the faucet and it's hot where I am. I was moving some stuff around and opened the wet bay door. Normal incoming pressure is about 65psi. I was surprised to see the incoming pressure at 120 psi. The solar radiation heated the hose to increase the pressure. The regulator was doing it job with 55 going into the coach plumbing.

School me please. Unless there is a check valve in the system between the hose and the park water system I don't see how the hose could get to 120 psi without the park pressure being at 120 psi. A vacuum break won't do it as it only reacts to negative pressure on the system side to prevent back flow. I'm really stumped.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #49
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Me too!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #50

I'm not an expert at this. We have only had our class C for11 months and have learned a lot from fellow RVers. My thought is that the hotter the water hose gets the more pressure it will build up wether or not the park pressure is 60psi or 100 psi. Kind of like when your tires get hot the air pressure will increase. I'm not going to take a chance on bursting water lines because pressure builds as the water in the hose builds more pressure the hotter it gets. I could be over thinking this but as I stated in an earlier post that I have seen heat up from the sun especially if the water is on, but j the pressure builds up and has burst house water hoses. I have also seen a couple of campgrounds water pressure has been over a 100. Just playing it safe I guess. If you have an outside connection I would put the regulator before the hose connection at the RV. You can buy extension hoses to put between the RV and the regulator.
Stevemarshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
School me please. Unless there is a check valve in the system between the hose and the park water system I don't see how the hose could get to 120 psi without the park pressure being at 120 psi. A vacuum break won't do it as it only reacts to negative pressure on the system side to prevent back flow. I'm really stumped.

I’m the OP and it stumps me too. I can tell you that the pressure gauge showed 120. I know the incoming at the faucet was 65 as it was at my sticks and bricks where it happened. The water supply is on the irrigation side of my plumbing, there is a check valve to keep it from coming back into the house, however the supply line is 1-1/2 line, I can’t see where the heated hose would pressurize the whole supply line which is several hundred feet. Maybe the backflow device is bad or the gauge??
Old 08-08-2019, 11:06 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I use a fixed (55psi) restrictor at the pedestal, then my water filter and adjustable regulator at the wet bay- with the regulator on the output side.

The problem I have found with the fixed restrictor/ regulator is that they also decrease volume by the nature of their design. Not saying this isn’t a good setup for you, just stating my experience.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:16 PM   #53
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
In general, Stuart, I think you are correct regarding the fixed pressure regulators. That said, I have found that the Fairview 55 sold by the RV Water Filter Store to be an exception. It has very good flow; every bit as good as my Watts 263A adjustable. As the name suggests, it is fixed at a nominal 55 psi.

TJ
Old 08-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
In general, Stuart, I think you are correct regarding the fixed pressure regulators. That said, I have found that the Fairview 55 sold by the RV Water Filter Store to be an exception. It has very good flow; every bit as good as my Watts 263A adjustable. As the name suggests, it is fixed at a nominal 55 psi.

TJ

Good to know Jim
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #55

My owners manual says that the water inlet has a built in regulator. So I’ve never used one. I would think all motorhomes would have them built in. Obviously there is something I don’t understand. So, what am I missing?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #56
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulite View Post
My owners manual says that the water inlet has a built in regulator. So I’ve never used one. I would think all motorhomes would have them built in. Obviously there is something I don’t understand. So, what am I missing?

Thanks
Apparently, what you are missing is that not all motorhomes have pressure regulators installed at the factory. Many don't...probably far more than do IME.

TJ

Tags
cat, water, water pressure