RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #1

are they reccommended via Newmar???? if so WHY

Dee

setexcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #2

are they reccommended via Newmar???? if so WHY

Dee

Old 03-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #3

I don't own a Newmar, but I believe that all RV manufacturers either install a regulator at the factory or recommend the use of one.

Generally, RV plumbing is deisgned to work at 40-45 psi. Some RV Parks can have pressure exceeding 120 psi...NOT GOOD for your plumbing!

So, if you do not already have an in-line water pressure regualtor built in to the RV, I believe it is best to get one. To my knowledge the best is an in-line Watts. This is available at Home Depot or Lowes. They are the same as used in stick homes and have adjustable psi regulation.

If you prefer, you can get RV regulators that work with your water hose.

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #4

bare with me... I'm blonde... ( yes, and female)

but how do i know if i have a inline regulator??? I just hate the reduced pressure.. I have been using one.. but i hate it.. it is so hard to take a shower when the water is merely dripping out..

teddi
Old 03-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #5

The most accurate way to find out if your Newmar has, or doesn't have a pressure regulator on the water line is to test one of your outlets with a water pressure meter.

Now, since your blonde (and I was/am too, before the gray started taking over) you're going to ask, "where can I get a water pressure meter?" Good question!! Do you have a good friend who also happens to be a plumber? Or, do you have a tool rental place in your town? Both of those would be good places to get/find a pressure meter for a short time and low cost.

Your present low water pressure may be the result of using 2 regulators. However, if the RV has a 45-50# regulator on it, and you use a second one, the second one shouldn't have a negative impact... afterall, you can only reduce the pressure to 45-50# once.

Now, on the other hand, if the 45-50# water pressure is lower than you prefer for your showers (I find ours to be just fine), then you'll need to take the risk of pumping higher pressure through your RV system.

If you are showering using the built-in water pump from your RV supply (not the exterior water source) do you have enough pressure for a pleasant shower?

That's all I can think of at the moment. I hope some of this helps you find a desireable solution.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #6

Thanks,

Every little bit helps...It never occured to me they might make em WITH them already installed...but then u know salesmen.. i think one adviced me to buy one.. and have been ever since. I'm still a bit confused. ( more than the avg blonde) the pump shower is tolerable i suppose u can say not great.. but ok... but in my current grounds the water hook up with the regulator on it is a miserary.. it truely just dribbles out.. with out the pressure regulator it is heaven....( i have a lot of long blonde hair to soap and rinse.
I dont suppose anyone is in the newighborhood and woudl be willing to come fix this problem for me??? I have all the soda pop and beer u can drink?!?!! sigh... can't blame a girl for asking......Thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
This link should help with external regulators.

Mac
Old 03-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
setexcpl, welcome to IRV2
You have the same year coach as I, if you have a whole house filter and it is plugged up your water pressure will not be to good. The filter will be housed in a white unit near your water closet it maybe in the dump valve location. Open the housing remove filter and try running water and see if you have better water pressure. If yes you need a new water filter cartrige. Take it to a dealer for new one or Wal-Marts for replacement.
If you would in your sign-profile block place your coach and chassis info you have a Dutch Star DP or gas , you also can become a member of the Newmar Forum being a Newmar owner and its something for free. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The commerical water pressure regulators are too small and not only reduce pressure, but severely reduce the flow. My solution was to get a larger Watts regulator from W.W. Grainger and the pipe to hose end adapter from Home Depot. Parts cot about $60.00 and I have one that works now. I can set the pressure at 45 PSIG and still have enough flow to shower.

Ken
Old 03-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #10

I bought a household water pressure regulator similiar to the "webb" talked about here. it can be adjusted from 25 to 75 psi. and comes factory set at 50psi. I hooked it up to the freash water inlet and set at 55psi. (since my 02 mountainaire is plumbed for 60 to 65 psi i'm still in the safetey zone.) I also installed a pressure gauge between the unit and freash hook up so the pressure can be monit€ored constantly. The increased water flow usaing a 5/8 in hose has been fantastic.
rojodoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:08 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
WOW We have some action on the Newmar Forum Welcome "rjd64" to the Newmar forum and IRV2.

Thanks for your informative post hope to see more. As an owner of a MA that qualifies you to become a member of the Newmar forum, if you would like. As you travel the forums it will follow your posts and tell other members that your a proud Newmar owner. Enjoy the forums and join in. "007"
Old 03-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Here is a picture of a Watts house regulator that I use as part of my 1 hose hookup.

For more info go to the photo's section of irv2 or follow the link in my signature.

OBTW - I have replaced all the plastic fittings with brass versions as the plastic has a tendency to leak or crack. Yep - you get what you pay for and you get to redo it to boot!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nice setup Dale I sometimes use a regulator, campgrounds around here it seems have low water pressure especially the ones with wells. Down south you must have better water flow. Like your quick connect fittings with your make up. "007"
Old 03-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #14

While we are on the subject of water pressure I'll share a tip that was given to me a few years back. The guy who shared this tip had had a disastous personal experience that I for one do not care to repeat.

When you leave the RV turn the water off at the campground faucet. If an inside line were to develop a leak in your absence you might not want to know just how much water can be pumped through your plumbing system. Until it would be noticed by a neighbor or a passer by it would be infinite and the results would not be pretty.

Similarily, if we are boondocking we make sure the pump is off when leaving the MH.

Someone once said that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of correction, Ken roberts, '04 DSDP...

Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote