Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #1

Water pump controller

Does anyone know the proper ground wire to jump to frame as a bypass on the OEM CStorm controller? For that matter it would be good to know how the CStorm J1-J2-J3-J4 connectors map to the Intellitec 12V-SW-Load-GND connectors. I’ve got the intermittent on/off problem and am on the road. Just want to lock the pump on for now. A picture - up side down! - of my installation is below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC79F1DD-5FCC-45B0-A825-3E863F35E237.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	251527  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #2

Good day Dr. Phil,
I looked at the Intellic schematic. Using their diagram, the black wire is what gets "switched" when turned on. The white wire is GROUND. Just jumper the black to the white wire and it will be on always.
Best Regards,
Dutch Master
2008 Newmar KSDP
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just as a side note, buy the Intellitec brand controller as a replacement. I also carry a spare.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Good day Dr. Phil,
I looked at the Intellic schematic. Using their diagram, the black wire is what gets "switched" when turned on. The white wire is GROUND. Just jumper the black to the white wire and it will be on always.
Best Regards,
Dutch Master
2008 Newmar KSDP
Is the intellitec wiring the same as the OEM CStorm?
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Just as a side note, buy the Intellitec brand controller as a replacement. I also carry a spare.
Have two in route from Amazon.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #6

Based on what I’m reading then, a very viable solution would be to connect J3 (load) to an extra ground wire I had run to the wet bay for a waste pump. I do have a dumb question however. Can these Shurflo pumps be ‘on’ all the time?
Old 06-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Based on what I’m reading then, a very viable solution would be to connect J3 (load) to an extra ground wire I had run to the wet bay for a waste pump. I do have a dumb question however. Can these Shurflo pumps be ‘on’ all the time?
The pump will cycle...on demand, due to the built in pressure switch. If you had a leak or left a faucet open...it could run continuously. I am not sure how long a duty cycle it would have. I believe it can handle a pretty long duty cycle...like when you take a shower...it might run continuously for quite a while.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Yes, they actually are "on" all the time anyway. The positive line is always hot and the pump is triggered by a ground. By making the ground permanent you are simply allowing the pressure switch to always be active so as to turn the pump on and off.

Tom
Old 06-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If its on all the time your going to keep pumping water out of fresh water tank and most likely burn out the pump.
WATER PUMP CONTROL WIRING
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:56 AM   #10

Pulled the wire off J3 (load) and grounded it with a heavy extra wire in my wet bay that was run for a waste pump and not used. Seems to be working properly running only on demand, but do you think I need to add another wire from ground back to the now empty J3 terminal?
Old 06-30-2019, 07:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Pulled the wire off J3 (load) and grounded it with a heavy extra wire in my wet bay that was run for a waste pump and not used. Seems to be working properly running only on demand, but do you think I need to add another wire from ground back to the now empty J3 terminal?
I would say, don't argue with success.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:19 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - No need for that other wire as you have jumped the control. The pump will not run any more than if you were using the controller. It will not burn out the pump. The pressure switch on the pump takes care of that. My reference to the pump being "on " was that it is always energized if a ground is applied in that 12 volts are always present.

Tom
Old 06-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not have the newer tech driven rigs but my old fashioned pump, when on pumps from the on board tank even if connected to outside water. IMHO, if it were me I would insert a manual switch in the bypass GRD wire you installed so when connected to city water you can shut off the pump.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 07-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
No..it would basically be a ground loop. Nothing happening there... The J3 is for the pump...and the controller toggles that pin to the J4 chassis ground to complete the pump circuit. You have physically completed the pump circuit by wiring the12vdc- pump wire to the chassis directly.

Tags
water, water pump