Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #1

water pump kicks on by itself

we purchased our new 2018 baystar 3414 back in late November, picked it up and brought it home it was all winterized for us. the thing is my water pump would just kick on. thinking I had hit the wrong switch when turning on the lights I shut it off and went back into my house. came outside later and heard it running again , went inside shut it off waited a few minutes and left. being a little concerned went back a half hour later and it was running again, so decided pull the fuse and called newmar , they kinda joked about it saying there must be ghosts in the rv, said they would get back to me, haven't heard from them yet.
Budsm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #2

sounds like you have either turned the wrong switch off, the switch is bad or something is shortening the switch out. If it is a 2018 model, I would take it back to the dealer as I am sure it is under warranty..
Old 12-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #3

There is probably more than one switch. Mine has three. One in control panel, one in bathroom, and one in wet bay. Check all your switches. There is probably one on somewhere you haven't looked at.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Generally pumps are activated via a ground rather than a 12 volt application. Sounds like a ground wire is making contact somewhere. Let the dealer find it, could be a challenge to find.

Tom
Old 12-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Ricci" has it right. Your coach uses a "latching controller". It's a small box (picture below) that is located within a foot or so of the water pump. Usually on a side wall in the wet bay. They use a latching controller to allow the installation of many switches with very little wiring. You can run a 100 switches if you want to.

Here's how it works, your water pump is connected to 12v (+) power all the time. The controller provides the ground when you use one of your switches. If you noticed, all of your switches are momentary. That means they push on and then bounce back, only working "momentarily", hence the name. When you push one of your water pump switches, it sends ground to the latching controller, which in turn provides ground to your water pump. Hitting the switch again, disconnects the ground to the water pump.

So, more than likely, one of two things has happened. One of your switches is grounding when it shouldn't causing your issue, or the more likely issue is the latching controller is bad. Newmar uses a cheap off brand latching controller. Mine quit in the first three months. The more common brand is Intellitec. Newmar sent me a new controller when mine went bad and I threw it in my spare parts box in the coach. I paid for the Intellitec model and installed it. They're about $45.00 on Amazon.

Here is something EVERYONE should know. Many get stuck when that latching controller goes bad while on a trip, no water pump. Remember.......when a latching controller is used on a coach, the water pump is always connected to 12v power. If your latching controller should go bad on a trip, simply supply a ground wire to the water pump and you'll be back in business. You can leave it connected while camping as the pump will shut off when the faucet is shut off. Disconnect the wire while you travel.

I carry a spare latching controller so that I'm never stuck with this issue.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What you are describing happened to us as well. We cleared the problem for a while by pulling the fuse and "rebooting", so to speak. Within a month or so, the controller failed completely. We were dry camping at the ABQ Balloon Fiesta. Luckily, I carried a spare WPC module, and replaced the failed one. It is back to working properly.

Before replacing it look at the status lights. There is one that lights when a switch fails grounded...or an LED shorts. The controller is a logic circuit. Each pulse it receives from a momentary grounding by a water pump switch causes it to switch state. In the high state...the voltage is high enough to illuminate the green leds. In the low state...there is still voltage...but not enough to pass the diodes and illuminate the green less.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/INTELLITEC-WA....c100890.m2460

Thats the part Don has in his post.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

let's not forget that if you pull the I believe it's the "SW" wire off the controller that eliminates the switches and wiring from the issue. If the motor continues to run, the controller is suspect. Likely water damaged if it got wet from hosing down the compartment et al.

If the controller is working and if the SW switch is momentary grounded to turn the pump on, then you can do so at the controller for temporary use. Jump the SW terminal to ground for a second, and again to turn the pump off.

If the controller is suspect, disconnect it, take the top off the board, clean it all up and plug it back in again. If still bad, new one.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #8

What am I missing here? Is there something in the systems of late that does not use a demand switch and would not cycle the pump if the system did not hold pressure?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
What am I missing here? Is there something in the systems of late that does not use a demand switch and would not cycle the pump if the system did not hold pressure?
We may be incorrect in assuming...but when he says the water pump has turned ON by itself ..that the green status lights by each pump switch have come on without someone selecting them to be ON. Not that the pump is physically running non-Stop. But you’re correct...he said he heard it. The pressure switch should cutout the pump if there isn’t a flow or demand. The pump...pressure switch or not...should turn OFF though, when he selects the system OFF at one of the switches. He might have two problems going on.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:23 AM   #10

Couldn't the ice maker turn the pump on like he is describing?

I have the opposite problem. My pump switch will turn off randomly. There doesn't seem to be a pattern. I will just go to use the water and the switch will be off. It doesn't turn off when using the water, only when idle.

Ideas?
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump